Dear List-members,

For those of you who are interested - particularly those who run large
qmail installations, possibly multiple-domain, I've been working on a
system to hash users' directories automatically. It does not attempt
to offer authentication (this would be a separate design decision:
cdb / Oracle / Radius etc.). It is designed to look after a collection
of users mail directories in a scalable manner, enabling delivery
and collection of mail to a hashed directory structure.

The hashed directory structure is designed on the basis of using
shared back-end storage for multiple front-end qmail boxes: these
back-ends would typically use NFS to reach the back end(s) - e.g.
using Network Appliance machines, or Quantum SnapServers.
Multiple back-ends and/or multiple front-ends are possible.

The package comes with various utilities to add users and
aliases. I've tried to keep it as lightweight as possible (to be fast
and secure).

It's designed to be used with a separate authentication system -
e.g. from a cdb file or using a database. Thus to add a user you
will also have to ensure they are added to the authentication system
chosen.

This is not a beginners package - you should have some appreciation
of the problems of running larger qmail systems before attempting
to use this. It's alpha-release software: Take all relevant precautions.

Anyway, if you're interested, take a look,
  http://www.tic.ch/e-image/hashing/qmail-hashing21Aug00.tar.gz
I'm very keen to receive any feedback - bug-reports, feature-requests,
comments, what-does-that-means etc....

There is one problem/bug I'm distinctly concerned about in this package;
all thoughts particularly welcome: The delivery mechanism used by the
package calls qmail-local (to avoid re-inventing the wheel). It can
therefore use .qmail files (these do work). Unfortunately if you have
two .qmail files pointing at each other (user1's .qmail file says
&user2; user2's .qmail file says &user1), you end up with a mail loop.

I also can't think of a snazzy name for it... any suggestions?

cheers,

Andrew Richards.

PS: I'm on holiday for a week until 30th August, so I won't be replying
to any mail until
then.