From: John Steniger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2000 4:40 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: tcpserver return codes

I'm having an issue which I believe is tcpserver; I've searched the archives
and haven't found anything.

I have qmail up and running under tcpserver, and using a client like Outlook
I am able to both send mail and recieve mail (using pop3 protocol).
However, I have a network monitoring tool (What's Up Gold) which can be
configured to send email messages.  When I specify my qmail server as the
SMTP server, and attempt to test, I get immediate failure.

The fact that it fails immediately without logging any information into my
mail log at all pointed me to tcpserver and not qmail as the culprit.  I did
a tail -f on the /var/qmail/log/qmail-smtp/current log during a couple
tests:  I sent a normal email message through outlook and then tested the
monitoring tool's email configuration.  The first email went through
successfully, while the second test of the configuration failed (as
expected).  The only difference in the current log was the return code that
tcpserver output: for the first generic email test, I got a return code of
0, whereas for the second test of the monitoring tool, I got a return of
256.  Both the email and the monitoring tool email originated from the same
machine.

Has anyone had this issue, with qmail interacting differently with an
application other than a mail client?  I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks