On Tue, Aug 22, 2000 at 12:49:13AM -0400, Chris Johnson wrote:
> I've often wondered about this myself. The message in question, containing as
> it does a bare linefeed, can *never* be accepted. So why suggest to the sending
> host with a 451 code that it might have better luck if it tried to send the
> exact same message again later?

Because a caring SysAdmin that checks Logfiles could see the error
message from the qmail server, fix the problem and everything ist fine.

Not the content of the message is coded wrong, the MTA codes the message
wrong upon transport.

So after fixing the MTA the same message may be valid five minutes
later and it could even be the same physical file in the queue on disk.

Usually I have 500 of these a day. When the server gets anoying I put
it in our local RBL with permanent reject. What's really curious is
that some MTA deliver most messages fine but fail on bounces they
create themselves (e.g. some Lotus versions).

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Stress is when you wake
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | up screaming and you