"Larry Masters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am new to qmail. I am running Slackware 7.1 and trying to setup
>qmail using the instructions in LWQ. I get to the following part and
>I am stuck:
>
>#################################
>
>Create the script using your editor or by downloading it with your
>web browser, then install it into your system's init.d directory,
                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>which should be in one of the following locations:
       ~~~~~~

>/etc/init.d
>/sbin/init.d
>/etc/rc.d/init.d

If, at this point, you can't locate your system's init.d directory (or
equivalent), you should consult:

  1) your system's (Slackware's) documentation,
  2) a support list for your system, or
  3) some local expert on your OS variant.

The qmail list isn't a Slackware support forum.

>Name the script qmail. You'll also need to link the script into a
>couple of "rc" directories. These directories are named like rcN.d,
>where N is the runlevel they apply to. The intricacies of the startup
>directory tree are beyond the scope of this document, so if these
>simplified instructions don't suffice, consult your system
>documentation. Your rc directories will probably be in one of:

See? I even told you that in LWQ.

>I do not have a /init.d directory on my server so I created
>/etc/rc.d/init.d and continued with the setup.

Wrong. Everything after this point is doomed.

-Dave