qmail Digest 26 Aug 2000 10:00:00 -0000 Issue 1104

Topics (messages 47375 through 47441):

Attachments are not going through Outlook Express
        47375 by: Rajan Vanjani
        47439 by: Rajan Vanjani

qmail-smtpd exit status?
        47376 by: bbaquiran
        47409 by: Dave Sill
        47430 by: bbaquiran

Acceptable Characters?
        47377 by: Slider
        47378 by: Magnus Bodin
        47384 by: Bruno Wolff III
        47388 by: Magnus Bodin
        47391 by: Chris Garrigues
        47392 by: Dave Sill
        47395 by: Bruno Wolff III
        47397 by: Bruno Wolff III
        47398 by: Magnus Bodin

Error when qmail starts
        47379 by: Luis Bezerra

starting smtpd with tcpserver question
        47380 by: çééí äìôøï
        47408 by: Dave Sill
        47415 by: Bruno Wolff III

open port 113 ?
        47381 by: Fat Toolz
        47386 by: Bruno Wolff III

Re: recipient list not shown: ;
        47382 by: Wolfgang Zeikat

Re: queueing and using qmqp at the same time
        47383 by: Charles Cazabon
        47399 by: Austad, Jay

from field in envelop
        47385 by: Darrell Wright
        47393 by: Dave Sill
        47419 by: Wolfgang Zeikat

Re: masquerading adress for external mail
        47387 by: Dave Sill

Re: Pop3 for qmail
        47389 by: Dave Sill

Re: Problems with LWQ Install
        47390 by: Dave Sill

VopMail and multiple domains
        47394 by: Fernando Costa de Almeida
        47396 by: Ben Beuchler
        47400 by: Fernando Costa de Almeida
        47401 by: Ben Beuchler

pop3d security
        47402 by: Rick Glunt
        47403 by: Ricardo Cerqueira
        47405 by: dsr.bbn.com

TCPLOGD
        47404 by: Bolivar Diaz
        47406 by: Dave Sill
        47414 by: Ben Beuchler

Re: effectiveness of DUL
        47407 by: Markus Stumpf

Re: ezmlm+idx:
        47410 by: David Benfell

Re: few Qs from newbie
        47411 by: jakubski.poczta.arena.pl

Re: why they reject my mail
        47412 by: jakubski.poczta.arena.pl

procmail and qmail, exitcode, stdout
        47413 by: Ronny Haryanto
        47437 by: Michael Handler

Problems with "Life with qmail"
        47416 by: tigre21.gamma.qnet.com.pe

Re: large sites---book
        47417 by: Mate Wierdl
        47420 by: Vince Vielhaber
        47424 by: Al Sparks
        47426 by: Vince Vielhaber

stray newlines (was Re: effectiveness of DUL)
        47418 by: Aaron L. Meehan

Q: Relaying to non-local virtual domains
        47421 by: Timothy Lorenc

553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts
        47422 by: Bjorn sodergren

ESMTP AUTH and qmail
        47423 by: Kris Kelley

Booby trapping tcprules
        47425 by: Bill Luckett

IMAP with Qmail
        47427 by: Jerry Hsieh
        47429 by: Wolfgang Zeikat

Re: Off-Topic: Maildirs as folders
        47428 by: Len Budney

Re: Qmail starts dropping email all of a sudden and SLOWWWW attachment upload
        47431 by: Eric Cox
        47432 by: Eric Cox

correlating smtpd logs with qmail logs
        47433 by: Ben Beuchler
        47434 by: Ricardo Cerqueira

pop3d
        47435 by: Jerry Hsieh

supervise strangeness
        47436 by: Rogue Eagle

problem with recipient
        47438 by: Arif Rudiana
        47440 by: Greg White

VRFY , EXPN and more
        47441 by: Roberto Samarone Araújo \(RSA\)

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Can anybody help!!!

I have qmail running on Linux 6.1 server , since last 5 months, As the linux
users have increased qmail is rejecting to accept the mails sent through
outlook express with an attachments.?
What could be the problem??? As since all these months it was working fine.
The error what is get  at the outlook express client is
"The connection was rejected may be due to server problems or network
traffic"

At the server side , for every send all in outlook express it invokes
qmail-smtpd and qmail-queue as shown below

qmailq     645   644  0 15:56 ?        00:00:00 bin/qmail-queue
qmaild     646   399  0 15:56 ?        00:00:00 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
qmailq     647   646  0 15:56 ?        00:00:00 bin/qmail-queue
qmaild     713   399  0 16:01 ?        00:00:00 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
qmailq     714   713  0 16:01 ?        00:00:00 bin/qmail-queue
qmaild     806   399  0 16:07 ?        00:00:00 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
qmailq     807   806  0 16:07 ?        00:00:00 bin/qmail-queue
qmaild     808   399  0 16:07 ?        00:00:00 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
qmailq     810   808  0 16:07 ?        00:00:00 bin/qmail-queue

Rajan

Iam Putting My problems again, Can anybody Help

> Can anybody help!!!
>
> I have qmail running on Linux 6.1 server , since last 5 months, As the
linux
> users have increased qmail is rejecting to accept the mails sent through
> outlook express with an attachments.?
> What could be the problem??? As since all these months it was working
fine.
> The error what is get  at the outlook express client is
> "The connection was rejected may be due to server problems or network
> traffic"
>
> At the server side , for every send all in outlook express it invokes
> qmail-smtpd and qmail-queue as shown below
>
> qmailq     645   644  0 15:56 ?        00:00:00 bin/qmail-queue
> qmaild     646   399  0 15:56 ?        00:00:00 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
> qmailq     647   646  0 15:56 ?        00:00:00 bin/qmail-queue
> qmaild     713   399  0 16:01 ?        00:00:00 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
> qmailq     714   713  0 16:01 ?        00:00:00 bin/qmail-queue
> qmaild     806   399  0 16:07 ?        00:00:00 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
> qmailq     807   806  0 16:07 ?        00:00:00 bin/qmail-queue
> qmaild     808   399  0 16:07 ?        00:00:00 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
> qmailq     810   808  0 16:07 ?        00:00:00 bin/qmail-queue
>

> Rajan

I am running qmail-smtpd under tcpserver. What do the "status 0" and
"status 256" lines mean?

Brian
--
Brian Baquiran
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"bbaquiran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am running qmail-smtpd under tcpserver. What do the "status 0" and
>"status 256" lines mean?

"status 0" means qmail-smtpd exited normally. "status 256" means
qmail-smtpd exited with an error. Errors include timeouts,
insufficient memory, and being unable to read control files.

-Dave

Dave Sill writes:

> "bbaquiran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I am running qmail-smtpd under tcpserver. What do the "status 0" and
> >"status 256" lines mean?
>
> "status 0" means qmail-smtpd exited normally. "status 256" means
> qmail-smtpd exited with an error. Errors include timeouts,
> insufficient memory, and being unable to read control files.

I'm seeing around the same number of status 0 and status 256 in my
tcpserver logs for qmail-smtpd, around 250 for each in a 5-minute period. I
guess that means half the incoming SMTP transactions fail?

Brian
--
Brian Baquiran
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi all,

A quick general question! What are the unacceptable characters in the
creation of addresses, and what are acceptable?

For example, can addresses be created with '\' or '£' I know that you can
have '.' but is there a list or a guide to refer to!

Thanks

Slider

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 12:25:51PM +0100, Slider wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A quick general question! What are the unacceptable characters in the
> creation of addresses, and what are acceptable?
>
> For example, can addresses be created with '\' or '£' I know that you can
> have '.' but is there a list or a guide to refer to!

Most ASCII characters are permitted although quoting is required for "special
characters".

RFC822: http://rfc822.x42.com/

Look for "local-part".

Note that qmail folds letters to lower case, which actually is correct
-- but only for the postmaster address.

/magnus

--
http://x42.com/

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 01:29:02PM +0200,
  Magnus Bodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Note that qmail folds letters to lower case, which actually is correct
> -- but only for the postmaster address.

No. Except for postmaster and the null address 'local' parts of the address can
be treated however the local site wants. Case can be significant or not.
The broken mail servers are the ones that treat different encodings of
the same address as different.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 09:50:53AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 01:29:02PM +0200,
>   Magnus Bodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Note that qmail folds letters to lower case, which actually is correct
> > -- but only for the postmaster address.
>
> No. Except for postmaster and the null address 'local' parts of the address can
> be treated however the local site wants. Case can be significant or not.

Allright, I'm nitpicking.  It's ok for me.

But RFC821 also says that "SMTP implementations must take case
to preserve the case of user names as they appear in mailbox arguments"
and since I can create users with different casing, in this case the SMTP
implementation isn't taking care of this, isn't so?

And the case folding is only for user lookups. The environment variables
such as DEFAULT, LOCAL etc is not folded.

A matter of taste I assume.

> The broken mail servers are the ones that treat different encodings of
> the same address as different.

I agree that those are broken.

/magnus

--
http://x42.com/

> From:  Magnus Bodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date:  Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:03:30 +0200
>
> But RFC821 also says that "SMTP implementations must take case
> to preserve the case of user names as they appear in mailbox arguments"
> and since I can create users with different casing, in this case the SMTP
> implementation isn't taking care of this, isn't so?

that's in reference to mailboxes on other systems.  The idea is that you can't
assume that any other server will unify the cases.

About all that can be said is that qmail isn't wrong here.  You can't quite
make a case that qmail is right.  Either approach is legal by RFC821/RFC822.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.

PGP signature

Bruno Wolff III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 01:29:02PM +0200,
>  Magnus Bodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Note that qmail folds letters to lower case, which actually is correct
>> -- but only for the postmaster address.
>
>No. Except for postmaster and the null address 'local' parts of the address can
>be treated however the local site wants. Case can be significant or not.
>The broken mail servers are the ones that treat different encodings of
>the same address as different.

No, the broken mail servers are the ones that don't preserve the case
on *remote* local parts. The RFC's allow systems to use either case
sensitive or case insensitive local parts--which is what your first
sentence says, so maybe the second sentence was a typo.

-Dave

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 05:03:30PM +0200,
  Magnus Bodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But RFC821 also says that "SMTP implementations must take case
> to preserve the case of user names as they appear in mailbox arguments"
> and since I can create users with different casing, in this case the SMTP
> implementation isn't taking care of this, isn't so?

Yes, STMP servers must preserve case. However once you are doing local delivery
you can fold case.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 11:27:24AM -0400,
  Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 01:29:02PM +0200,
> >  Magnus Bodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Note that qmail folds letters to lower case, which actually is correct
> >> -- but only for the postmaster address.
> >
> >No. Except for postmaster and the null address 'local' parts of the address can
> >be treated however the local site wants. Case can be significant or not.
> >The broken mail servers are the ones that treat different encodings of
> >the same address as different.
>
> No, the broken mail servers are the ones that don't preserve the case
> on *remote* local parts. The RFC's allow systems to use either case
> sensitive or case insensitive local parts--which is what your first
> sentence says, so maybe the second sentence was a typo.

By different encodings I was referring to address encodings such as
"local"@example.com and [EMAIL PROTECTED] being treated differently.
There are at least some Microsoft mail servers broken in that they
treat these address encodings differently.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 11:29:07AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 05:03:30PM +0200,
>   Magnus Bodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > But RFC821 also says that "SMTP implementations must take case
> > to preserve the case of user names as they appear in mailbox arguments"
> > and since I can create users with different casing, in this case the SMTP
> > implementation isn't taking care of this, isn't so?
>
> Yes, STMP servers must preserve case. However once you are doing local delivery
> you can fold case.

I stand corrected. Not that I've had any use for it, and since all the
environment is not folded it only affects local users anyway.

/magnus

--
http://x42.com/

Hello everyone,

Anyone knows this error message:

xmalloc:cannot alocate 360 bytes(0 bytes allocated)

When I start my qmail this message is showed.

thanks in advance,
Luis Bezerra

Hello List
why does it say in all the qmail manuals and LWQ to start smtpd with tcpserver with the -p switch
to check dns addresses?
why not start it with -R -H ? it runs much much faster that way...
Can someone explain this please?
THanks in advance...

Haim

=?windows-1255?B?5+np7SDk7PT47w==?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>why does it say in all the qmail manuals and LWQ to start smtpd with
>tcpserver with the -p switch
>to check dns addresses?

Just being cautious. A bad guy could set up reverse DNS entries to
make his IP addresses look like anyone he wants. By setting -p, you're
requiring that the name and IP address are listed both forwards and
backwards.

>why not start it with -R -H ? it runs much much faster that way...
>Can someone explain this please?

-R disables IDENT lookups, and -H disables host name lookups. Both are
potentially useful sources of information, and in most qmail
installations won't have severe performance penalty.

-Dave

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 02:44:49PM -0400,
  Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> =?windows-1255?B?5+np7SDk7PT47w==?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >why does it say in all the qmail manuals and LWQ to start smtpd with
> >tcpserver with the -p switch
> >to check dns addresses?
>
> Just being cautious. A bad guy could set up reverse DNS entries to
> make his IP addresses look like anyone he wants. By setting -p, you're
> requiring that the name and IP address are listed both forwards and
> backwards.

I agree that if you are going to use the returned hostname for anything
you should do a forward lookup to make sure the forward and reverse
addresses match.

> >why not start it with -R -H ? it runs much much faster that way...
> >Can someone explain this please?
>
> -R disables IDENT lookups, and -H disables host name lookups. Both are
> potentially useful sources of information, and in most qmail
> installations won't have severe performance penalty.

Generally hostnames aren't that useful. IP addresses are more useful when
trying to blame someone for something. Occasionally they might be used for
host authenication where you don't get (or want to deal with) IP address
changes. You don't want to do this where the costs of a break in are high.

ident lookups can help another site determine which of their users is
causing you problems. In general I don't find this very helpful. If I
am having problems with a host I would be inclined to block all access
by the host and not worry about whether the other site would be able to
track things back easier with the ident information. Other people might
have different requirements for which cooperating with other sites to
help them find troublemakers is valuable enough to make doing the ident
lookups worthwhile.

Hi qmail,

I just opened the firewall on port 113, the logon is quite faster and I'm quite lucky to miss this dumb Outlook Express-Screen "Your Server has not responded for 60 seconds...." :-) . I want to enable POP3 from outside the firewall to the qmail-Server but I do not think it's wise to open port 113 from *outer space* to the qmail-Server through the firewall (remember that the port is also opened from the internal network). If 113 is used by qmail for authorization, probably I'll have to open it.

But what about starting tcpserver with -H ? Where are the differences and what about using tcpserver -H ? Do I loose security effects by starting tcpserver with authorization NOT on port 113?

Thanks.
Stef

P.S.: Sorry for the big delays between my messages... It's messing me up today.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 04:00:42PM +0200,
  Fat Toolz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi qmail,
>
> I just opened the firewall on port 113, the logon is quite faster and I'm quite
>lucky to miss this dumb Outlook Express-Screen "Your Server has not responded for 60
>seconds...." :-) . I want to enable POP3 from outside the firewall to the
>qmail-Server but I do not think it's wise to open port 113 from *outer space* to the
>qmail-Server through the firewall (remember that the port is also opened from the
>internal network). If 113 is used by qmail for authorization, probably I'll have to
>open it.

Port 113 is serviced by ident servers. tcpserver can make connections to
ident servers (at the site attempting to connect to tcpserver) if you set
things up that way.

If you don't want to run your own ident server (often a good idea), the best
way to do this is to just not run a service on port 113. If you are really
paranoid you can let syn packets through, but block everything else to
that port. You don't want to use the DENY or REJECT destinations in ipchains
(which is the usual firewall tool with linux 2.2.x) because that can result
in delays.

DENY ignores packets which will almost always result in a delay connecting.
REJECT sends host port unreachable which will sometimes cause delays. Not
all hosts give up right away upon getting that response. Letting the connection
attempt occur to an unserviced port will result in a TCP RST reply which
tells the remote host that ident is definitely not available and there will
be no significant delay. Though some servers might refuse to allow access
if there is no ident server running. I have heard of IRC servers that work
this way. If you need access to such a service there are ident replacements
that return a fixed response that should satisfy these broken servers.

when i use the line:

qmail-inject -f [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] <
~wzeikat/spamchecker1

the mail that is sent contains a line
Cc: recipient list not shown: ;

why is that?
and, more important: how do i avoid it?

wolfgang

Chris Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 04:37:41PM -0500, Austad, Jay wrote:
> > > I have a mail server that needs to receive mail for local users and handle
> > > bounces.  However,  I would like all outgoing mail to use my QMQP servers
> > > instead of being queued locally.  Is this possible?
> >
> No.
>
> You might look at Bruce Guenter's nullmailer, http://em.ca/~bruceg/nullmailer/
> I've never used it, but it looks like it might do what you need.

nullmailer doesn't provide an SMTP daemon for incoming mail; it is only for
sending locally-injected mail from a dumb host to a smart relay.  However,
it's excellent for that.

However, smtproutes could be used with qmail to provide this functionality,
I think.  Set up /var/qmail/control/locals to handle local deliveries, and
put the single line
:smarthost.domain
into /var/qmail/control/smtproutes.  This should make everything that can't
be delivered locally be forwarded to your smarthost.

Anyone care to correct me on this?

Charles
Charles Cazabon                           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
QCC Communications Corporation                   Saskatoon, SK
My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my employer.

I don't want it to go to my smarthost, I want it to use qmail-qmqpc to send
it to my QMQP servers.  If only I could specify a protocol in smtproutes...

Otherwise I could run "mini-qmail" on the same box with an smtp server
listening on port 26, and use smtproutes to redirect outgoing mail to
localhost:26.  That way it would use my qmail-qmqpc to send it off to the
QMQP servers.  I want to use qmail-qmqpc because I modified to load balance
between multiple servers, and I don't want to bog down my list server box
with queueing outgoing mail.  It's going to be ALOT of outgoing mail...

Jay

Chris Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 04:37:41PM -0500, Austad, Jay wrote:
> > > I have a mail server that needs to receive mail for local users and
handle
> > > bounces.  However,  I would like all outgoing mail to use my QMQP
servers
> > > instead of being queued locally.  Is this possible?
> >
> No.
>
> You might look at Bruce Guenter's nullmailer,
http://em.ca/~bruceg/nullmailer/
> I've never used it, but it looks like it might do what you need.

nullmailer doesn't provide an SMTP daemon for incoming mail; it is only for
sending locally-injected mail from a dumb host to a smart relay.  However,
it's excellent for that.

However, smtproutes could be used with qmail to provide this functionality,
I think.  Set up /var/qmail/control/locals to handle local deliveries, and
put the single line
:smarthost.domain
into /var/qmail/control/smtproutes.  This should make everything that can't
be delivered locally be forwarded to your smarthost.

Anyone care to correct me on this?

Charles
Charles Cazabon                           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
QCC Communications Corporation                   Saskatoon, SK
My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my employer.

Hello, I was just curious.  I've browsed through most documentation for
qmail, but cannot seem to find a reference to this.  When local mail (via
mailx) is sent from a host using qmail, it does not add the users name.
i.e. [EMAIL PROTECTED] -> "John Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

My question is, is there a patch or a control file to allow this.

Thanks
Darrell Wright

"Darrell Wright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello, I was just curious.  I've browsed through most documentation for
>qmail, but cannot seem to find a reference to this.  When local mail (via
>mailx) is sent from a host using qmail, it does not add the users name.
>i.e. [EMAIL PROTECTED] -> "John Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
>
>My question is, is there a patch or a control file to allow this.

Firstly, you're talking about the From header field, not the envelope
sender.

Secondly, no, there's not a patch to do what you want. It's the mail
user agent's job (mailx in this case) to populate the From header
field, not qmail's.

-Dave

a possible workaround:

if you use the elm program (that can also be used in scripts with options
and such),
the headers for the outgoing mail can be specified in

~/.elm/elmheaders

wolfgang

Also sprach Darrell Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 25.08.2000:

Davide Giunchi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You are right but in this case if i send a mail from a local user to a local
>user he wuold reply to the internet adress not the local adress, it's the
>second chance do you say that i need  :)

So tell qmail to deliver the "internet" address locally. E.g., if
joe's public address is [EMAIL PROTECTED], add:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]:joe

to control/virtualdomains, "touch ~joe/.qmail-default", and add
example.com to control/rcpthosts.

-Dave

"Wong Chin Shin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm trying to set up pop3 access to use tcpserver instead of inetd, the
>"Life with qmail" document says the following :
>
>-----------------
>To use tcpserver, add the following to your qmail startup script (not
>inetd.conf):
>    tcpserver -v -R 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup FQDN \
>        /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1 | \
>        /var/qmail/bin/splogger pop3d &
>where pop3 is the name of the POP3 service listed in /etc/services and FQDN
>is the fully qualified domain name of the POP server you're setting up,
>e.g., pop.example.net.
>-----------------
>
>May I know what exactly is meant by "startup script"?

It means "a script that runs qmail-start, either directly or
indirectly".

>is it the "qmail"
>startup script in init.d? or "/var/qmail/rc"?

It could be either. For LWQ installs, I'd recommend neither. I'd
create a /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d (and /var/log/qmail/pop3d)
hierarchy modelled after /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd and I'd
modify the /usr/local/sbin/qmail script to handle the pop3
service. The next rev of LWQ will likely include these changes.

-Dave

"Larry Masters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am new to qmail. I am running Slackware 7.1 and trying to setup
>qmail using the instructions in LWQ. I get to the following part and
>I am stuck:
>
>#################################
>
>Create the script using your editor or by downloading it with your
>web browser, then install it into your system's init.d directory,
                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>which should be in one of the following locations:
       ~~~~~~

>/etc/init.d
>/sbin/init.d
>/etc/rc.d/init.d

If, at this point, you can't locate your system's init.d directory (or
equivalent), you should consult:

  1) your system's (Slackware's) documentation,
  2) a support list for your system, or
  3) some local expert on your OS variant.

The qmail list isn't a Slackware support forum.

>Name the script qmail. You'll also need to link the script into a
>couple of "rc" directories. These directories are named like rcN.d,
>where N is the runlevel they apply to. The intricacies of the startup
>directory tree are beyond the scope of this document, so if these
>simplified instructions don't suffice, consult your system
                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>documentation. Your rc directories will probably be in one of:
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

See? I even told you that in LWQ.

>I do not have a /init.d directory on my server so I created
>/etc/rc.d/init.d and continued with the setup.

Wrong. Everything after this point is doomed.

-Dave

    I have qmail, tcpserver and vpopmail installed in my machine. It appears to me that the vpopmail is a great tool to manage multiple domains. Now my question:

    Supose that I have two domains:

                domain1.com.br
                domain2.com.br

    And two users:

                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    What I have to do is that all emails to user1 must be sent to user2, and vice-versa. How can I do this?

--
_________________________
Fernando Costa de Almeida

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 01:15:59PM -0300, Fernando Costa de Almeida wrote:

>     Supose that I have two domains:
>
>                 domain1.com.br
>                 domain2.com.br
>
>     And two users:
>
>                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>     What I have to do is that all emails to user1 must be sent to user2,
> and vice-versa. How can I do this?

Make the Maildir for one a symlink to the Maildir for the other.
Haven't tried it, but it should work.

Ben

--
Ben Beuchler                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MAILER-DAEMON                                         (612) 321-9290 x101

Ben Beuchler wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 01:15:59PM -0300, Fernando Costa de Almeida wrote:
>
> >     Supose that I have two domains:
> >
> >                 domain1.com.br
> >                 domain2.com.br
> >
> >     And two users:
> >
> >                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> >     What I have to do is that all emails to user1 must be sent to user2,
> > and vice-versa. How can I do this?
>
> Make the Maildir for one a symlink to the Maildir for the other.
> Haven't tried it, but it should work.

    It worked perfectly. I was wondering too if it was possible to have a
unique entry for this user, because each new user will have a entry in each
domain (two identical passwords, etc)... Im reading the vpopmail
documentation now, but if somebody has already donw this... :-)

--
_________________________
Fernando Costa de Almeida

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 02:16:01PM -0300, Fernando Costa de Almeida wrote:

>     It worked perfectly. I was wondering too if it was possible to have a
> unique entry for this user, because each new user will have a entry in each
> domain (two identical passwords, etc)... Im reading the vpopmail
> documentation now, but if somebody has already donw this... :-)

If ALL the users in one domain will be the same as the user with the
same name in the second domain, you can make one domain an alias to the
other, using vaddaliasdomain.

That way [EMAIL PROTECTED] will automatically be exactly the same as
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ben

--
Ben Beuchler                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MAILER-DAEMON                                         (612) 321-9290 x101
Bitstream Underground                                   www.bitstream.net

In the qmail FAQ it metions "Security note: pop3d should only b
used in a secure network...".  Doe sthis mean it is not fit for a
server on the Internet?  I see it recommended in several places but
never see anthing else abou tit being insecure.
Rick Glunt
IT Manager
Lumax Industries, Inc.

pop3 is a clear-text protocol. That implies anyone with a sniffer can log
the entire pop3 conversation, including passwords. That's also valid for
IMAP.
Encrypted protocols should always be preferred when talking to (or through)
an untrusted network (such as the internet). Unfortunately, that's not
always possible. (due to client incompatibility, user stupidity, etc)

RC

--
+-------------------
| Ricardo Cerqueira
| PGP Key fingerprint  -  B7 05 13 CE 48 0A BF 1E  87 21 83 DB 28 DE 03 42
| Novis  -  Engenharia ISP / Rede Técnica
| Pç. Duque Saldanha, 1, 7º E / 1050-094 Lisboa / Portugal
| Tel: +351 21 0100000 - Fax: +351 21 0100001

PGP signature

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 01:47:14PM -0400, Rick Glunt wrote:
> In the qmail FAQ it metions "Security note: pop3d should only b
> used in a secure network...".  Doe sthis mean it is not fit for a
> server on the Internet?  I see it recommended in several places but
> never see anthing else abou tit being insecure.

The POP3 protocol is insecure because it uses a cleartext username and
password. The better ways to do it are:

- tunnel it in SSL or SSH
- use Kerberos authentication
- offer webmail service instead, protected by SSL
- only offer it inside the firewall

In corporate environments, it makes sense to restrict it to
inside the firewall, where no one would ever run a packet sniffer.

In home environments, it makes sense to use an SSL or SSH tunnel,
as you can easily control both the server and the clients.

-dsr-

What is the function of TCPLOGD?

At any point of time the servers starts rejecting passwords when a client
tries to check the e-mail, and the reason is "unable to fork: resource not
available"

If I do ps auxww to see the processes running, I see too many tcplogd
running, I mean thousands.

My solution up to this point is to reboot the server, but it keep doing the
same thing after a while.

Please help.

Bolivar,

"Bolivar Diaz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What is the function of TCPLOGD?

Don't know...I've never heard of it.

-Dave

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 01:21:38PM +0200, Bolivar Diaz wrote:

> What is the function of TCPLOGD?

It is not a qmail program.

A simple google search returned multiple hits.  Please don't ask the
list to do what you could accomplish yourself with minimal effort.

> At any point of time the servers starts rejecting passwords when a client
> tries to check the e-mail, and the reason is "unable to fork: resource not
> available"

Several of the hundreds of references returned from the above mentioned
search describes some DOS attacks that would do what you are describing.

Ben

--

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 09:33:49PM -0700, Jon Rust wrote:
> Must be a spam house, or MS software is really just THAT broken. :-)

I have sometimes more than 100000 tries a day from one host because of
temp rejects for stray newlines.
I usually place those in my local RBL for a permanent reject.

This is a Microsoft confirmed problem and they have a bug description
and fix.
   http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q224/9/83.ASP

        \Maex

P.S. Just found another one ... had
       1592 rejects: unknown:202.106.185.36 stray newlines
     the last few hours.
     220-smtp01.sohu.com Microsoft SMTP MAIL Version: 5.5.1877.197.19

P.P.S. Not accepting stray newlines is IMHO good for SPAM protection *smile*
     Most of the servers that get rejected this way are relay open ;-)
     The above smtp01.sohu.com:202.106.185.36 is relay open, too.
     452 additional rejects within the last 20hs *smile*

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Stress is when you wake
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | up screaming and you

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 12:12:29PM -0700, Jamie Heilman wrote:

> > To me, it looks like the List address is in the To: field.  Why is it
> > complaining that it isn't?
>
> Check your outlocal and outhost files to find out what the list thinks its
> address is, maybe they don't agree with what you think it is.

I guess I was awake that morning when I typed in the command creating
the mailing list.  You were exactly right.  Thanks!

--
David Benfell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                        [from fortune]

PGP signature

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 12:30:54PM -0500, Matthew Patterson wrote:

> I don't know if anyone has replied to this yet, but for your first question,
> take a look at your /etc/login.defs file. For the second, look at the man
> page for qmail-inject.
>
> MHP

Hi
Thanks for your reply. You're first that enlighten me a bit. I took a look
at /etc/login.defs file and there were three lines 'bout mail:
#QMAIL_DIR   Maildir
MAIL_DIR     /var/spool/mail
#MAIL_FILE   .mail
And I just replaced /var/spool/mail to Maildir. But it still doesn't work.
Maybe I should change something else.
I hope you'll help me with this.
Thanks in advance.
qba

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 12:22:26PM +0200, Alexander Jernejcic wrote:

> hi,
> some MTA's check the ip of the sending MTA against the name with a reverse lookup.
>IMHO you should send your mails via the MTA of
> you ISP. just put the following line into ~/qmail/control/smtproutes
> :mailserver.your.isp
> and qmail will happily send all mails to the mailserver of your isp. this one should
>be known worldwide.
>
> hope that helps
> :) alexander

Hi
Thanks 4 your response. I still have not managed this problem because
I donot have /var/qmail/control/smtproutes file. Could you tell me
how to make it (do I need daemontools or something else?).
Thanks 4 help.
qba

[I posted this to procmail list a few days ago, but I haven't received
a response yet. So I thought I post this here hoping there's someone
here using procmail that can give suggestions]

Hi *,

I'm trying to discard emails from somebody and have procmail return a hard
error code (like 67, 77 or 100) *with* my own brief error message. The MTA is
qmail. Currently I have "|preline procmail" in my .qmail file. I have tried
this following recipe with partial success (email is discarded and bounced, but
my brief error message is not there):

:0
* ^From:.*abuser@example\.com
{
    EXITCODE=100

    :0
    | echo "Permission denied"
}

Apparently that echo goes nowhere. This is the bounce from qmail:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at haryan.to

<ronny at haryan.to>:

[...message deleted...]

I don't know how to make procmail print to stdout.  Any help or
suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Ronny

Ronny Haryanto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm trying to discard emails from somebody and have procmail return a
> hard error code (like 67, 77 or 100) *with* my own brief error message.
> The MTA is qmail. Currently I have "|preline procmail" in my .qmail file.
> I have tried this following recipe with partial success (email is
> discarded and bounced, but my brief error message is not there):
>
> :0
> * ^From:.*abuser@example\.com
> {
>     EXITCODE=100
>
>     :0
>     | echo "Permission denied"
> }

:0
* ^From:.*abuser@example\.com
{
        EXITCODE=100

        :0 f
        | echo "Piss off."

        :0 r

}

In procmailese, the f flag on the first recipe inside the braces means
"filter", which makes procmail pipe the message through the specified
command, and replace the current message content with the output of the
pipe. For instance:

:0 f
| sed 's/expletive/[expletive deleted]/g'

would be a nice start at sanitizing all email passing through your
.procmailrc. :) In our instance, however, we're piping our message to echo,
which ignores the input it has been offered, and simply outputs our
message, which procmail now takes to be the message body.

The pipe with no argument makes procmail emit the current message to
standard output, with the desired effect. The r flag prevents procmail from
trying to add extraneous \r or \n characters to the output, which are
inappropriate in this context, but appropriate for normal procmail
operation. I added it mostly for aesthetic reasons on the output; try it
both ways and see for yourself.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Handler)                          washington, dc

Dear managers

Sorry, but I'm new in qmail.
I read all intructions and I did all them steps of "LWQ"
but have a problem ....
when I run "qmail start"  It show me :
11084:/sbin/loader: Fatal Error: cannot malloc
11087:/sbin/loader: Fatal Error: cannot malloc
11090:/sbin/loader: Fatal Error: cannot malloc
11096:/sbin/loader: Fatal Error: cannot malloc
why?

I have intalled qmail-1.03 ,  ucspi-tcp-0.88 and
daemontools-0.70
and I used /Maildir/ box.

How I can try "qmail" installed with "LWQ"
What steps should run?

Thanks

P.D.
Sorry for my english....
I speak spanish

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 02:52:59PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I just bought "Running Qmail" from Amazon and it shipped yesterday.

I thought this was bullshit, but see

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672319454/qid%3D967239504/102-4262892-3637707

Mate

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Mate Wierdl wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 02:52:59PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I just bought "Running Qmail" from Amazon and it shipped yesterday.
>
> I thought this was bullshit, but see
>

> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672319454/qid%3D967239504/102-4262892-3637707

It's been discussed before.  I had one of Blum's other books.. I threw it
in the trash even tho I thought the trash can deserved better.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.pop4.net
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Well,

I bought it, and according to UPS tracking, it's waiting for me at home.
When I've read it, I'll be glad to submit a review.

I didn't think to read other reviews of other stuff he wrote.  If I had
I probably wouldn't have bought it.  I simply got on the Amazon site
and did a search on qmail.
   === Al

http://mail.yahoo.com/

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Al Sparks wrote:

> Well,
>
> I bought it, and according to UPS tracking, it's waiting for me at home.
> When I've read it, I'll be glad to submit a review.
>
> I didn't think to read other reviews of other stuff he wrote.  If I had
> I probably wouldn't have bought it.  I simply got on the Amazon site
> and did a search on qmail.

If it's anything like the other one, don't read it when you're tired
and make sure you have plenty of coffee.

Vince.

>    === Al
>

> --- Vince Vielhaber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I thought this was bullshit, but see
> > >

>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672319454/qid%3D967239504/102-4262892-3637707
> >
> > It's been discussed before.  I had one of Blum's other books.. I threw it
> > in the trash even tho I thought the trash can deserved better.
> >
> > Vince.
> > --
> > ==========================================================================
> > Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.pop4.net
> >  128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
> >         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
> >        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com
> http://mail.yahoo.com/

Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.pop4.net
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

Quoting Markus Stumpf ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 09:33:49PM -0700, Jon Rust wrote:
> > Must be a spam house, or MS software is really just THAT broken. :-)
>
> I have sometimes more than 100000 tries a day from one host because of
> temp rejects for stray newlines.
> I usually place those in my local RBL for a permanent reject.
> P.P.S. Not accepting stray newlines is IMHO good for SPAM protection *smile*
>      Most of the servers that get rejected this way are relay open ;-)
>      The above smtp01.sohu.com:202.106.185.36 is relay open, too.
>      452 additional rejects within the last 20hs *smile*

Interesting, yes.  Well, I got tired long ago of that nonsense, so I
changed the error code for the stray newline to 551, in qmail-smtpd.c.
Suggested by someone else (forgot who, sorry), and wondered why I
hadn't thought of it myself sooner!

Aaron

Qmailers:

I have been reading the qmail archives and found some threads that are
very close to what I want accomplish and I though I would ask the qmail
list for some help me with my logic.

BTW: I have read the Life with Qmail and the Big Pictures documents
numerous times and could not find the answer I was looking for...
I have also check the www.qmail.org site and I am probably going to
head out to the local bookstore to buy the new qmail book:
http://www.mcp.com/sams/detail_sams.cfm?item=0672319454

so here goes... Just to refresh everyone's memory...

---Begin FIRST THREAD---

virtual mail domains

I have a box which I want to be the primary MX host for virtual mail
domains.

That is, none of the mail is to be delivered locally, but is to have the
envelope (but not the header) address rewritten and the mail forwarded.

There are three classes of forwarding that I want to do.

[regexps, brackets and $n a la perl ;o)]

(.*)@virtual.domain.com  -->  $1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[ie, localparts same at both domains, so domain maps to domain]

(.*)@virtual.domain.com  -->  user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[ie, everything in that domain goes to a single address]

The third type is to have a nice big set of rules for mapping
localparts in the domain to soem ADDRESSLIST where
ADDRESSLIST ::= localpart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
or
ADDRESSLIST ::= ADDRESSLIST, somelocalpart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you see what I mean.

and in this third type, any localpart in the virtual domain that is
not explicity listed can have a default of Bouncing, or going to some
ADDRESSLIST

The other thing is, I may have more that one virtual domain being hosted on
this box, and of course user@xxxxxx and user@xxxxxx are different, so
need to be handled differently.

Also, although I said above that no mail would be delivered locally, that's
not strictly true.  I may want one of my domains (the "real" domain) to
deliver
locally.

How can I easily do this with qmail?

---End FIRST TRHEAD---

---Begin RESPONSE THREAD---

virtual mail domains

 > (.*)@virtual.domain.com  -->  $1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

in control/virtualdomains, add virtual.domain.com:alias-virtual
in ~alias/.qmail-virtual-default, put |forward "$LOCAL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

 > (.*)@virtual.domain.com  -->  user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

in control/virtualdomains, add virtual.domain.com:user-virtual
in ~user/.qmail-virtual-default, put &user or |forward "$USER"

 > The third type is to have a nice big set of rules for mapping
 > localparts in the domain to soem ADDRESSLIST where
 > ADDRESSLIST ::= localpart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 > or
 > ADDRESSLIST ::= ADDRESSLIST, somelocalpart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 >
 > If you see what I mean.
 >
 > and in this third type, any localpart in the virtual domain that is
 > not explicity listed can have a default of Bouncing, or going to some
 > ADDRESSLIST

Write a program to do it.  Read qmail-command.0.  It explains what
environment variables get set.

 > The other thing is, I may have more that one virtual domain being hosted
on
 > this box, and of course user@xxxxxx and user@xxxxxx are different, so
 > need to be handled differently.

Not a problem.

---End RESPONSE THREAD---

Now, my situation is very similar. I have a box that is going to act as a
high speed mail relay for several virtual domains with NONE of the email
coming in to be stored locally. I have taken some virtualusers tables from
the previously used sendmail and created a cdb database with newaliases
from fastforward. I would like to stay away from making a large number of
.qmail-virtualdomain-default files...

I have some lines in the file which look like:

@somemail.com %1~[EMAIL PROTECTED]

newaliases creates the cdb file without any problems.

So when I go to test it with the fastforward command:

env DEFAULT=george HOST=somemail.com /var/qmail/bin/fastforward -nd
/etc/aliases.cdb
from <original envelope sender>
to <%1~[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The thing that I cannot figure out is why I am getting the %1 instead of
having it
resolved to: george~[EMAIL PROTECTED]

My /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-defautl contains:
| /var/qmail/bin/fastforward -d /etc/aliases.cdb

I guess my question is do I need to put some other variable into
.qmail-default
so that %1 gets changed to george (or some other random user name), or do
I even need to change the %1 to something else like $DEFAULT or something...

Wow... I know this was long, but I guess I am at a loss... Thanks.

-- Specializing in computer and network consulting...

Timothy Lorenc          USmail:  Lorenc Advantage, Inc.
Consultant/President             6732 E. State Blvd.
                                 PMB 304
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]              Fort Wayne, IN  46815-7762

All of a sudden get this message on all of my virtual domains....

"The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the
server. The rejected e-mail address was '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'. Subject '',
Account: 'anonhost.net', Server: 'mail.anonhost.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response:
'553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)', Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC79 "

what i do is run the ./config script in the qmail source directory, restart qmail with
the qmail init script, and i get this error all the time.

Now in the past, ive had a HUGE problem with vpopmail in getting it to autenticate
with just the username, before it needed [EMAIL PROTECTED] .
this was because the PTR lookups where not being performed correctly (turned out to be
a missing . in the reverse lookup DB).

after fixing all of the domain files and restarting named, (bind, latest version).
then re-compiling qmail-1.03 as inscructed in Life with Qmail, and adding vpopmail as
instructed in the README and INSTALL files.

if this is relevent,
root:>#nslookup -type=MX virtual-support.net
Server:  ns.virtual-support.net
Address:  64.65.17.239

virtual-support.net     preference = 5, mail exchanger = mail.virtual-support.ne
virtual-support.net     nameserver = ns.virtual-support.net
virtual-support.net     nameserver = ns2.virtual-support.net
ns.virtual-support.net  internet address = 64.65.17.239
ns2.virtual-support.net internet address = 64.65.17.239

root:>#nslookup -type=MX anonhost.net
Server:  ns.virtual-support.net
Address:  64.65.17.239

anonhost.net    preference = 5, mail exchanger = mail.anonhost.net
anonhost.net    nameserver = ns.virtual-support.net
ns.virtual-support.net  internet address = 64.65.17.239

[Virtual-Support]-[/var/qmail/control]
root:>#dnsquery 16.16.65.64.in-addr.arpa. -n 64.65.17.239
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
;;      16.16.65.64.in-addr.arpa, type = ANY, class = IN
16.16.65.64.in-addr.arpa.  12H IN PTR  anonhost.net.
65.64.in-addr.arpa.     12H IN NS       ns.virtual-support.net.
ns.virtual-support.net.  12H IN A  64.65.17.239

Everything in DNS is working correctly, the locals and rcpthosts files are identical
(as the ./config script produces )

Get your own personal Email address @Underthemain.net
http://freemail.underthemain.net

Is there a patch for qmail that enables the ESMTP AUTH authentication scheme
(RFC 2554)?  I've looked about at qmail.org, but didn't see anything obvious
(forgive if I overlooked).

My original plan of using something like relay-ctrl for SMTP-after-IMAP fell
through when I remembered the system I am putting together will use multiple
load-shared machines, which means the machine handling a user's outgoing
message may not be the same machine handling his/her IMAP connection.  So, I
need something that works with SMTP directly, or otherwise doesn't require
something that might break when multiple servers are involved.

Thanks for any help!

---Kris Kelley

Hi,

This may be the wrong place to post this but I didn't see a tcpserver/ucspi-tcp list.
If there's a better place to post please let me know and forgive.

I'm wondering if and how you can booby trap a tcprules deny rule like you can with
tcpd. With tcpd for instance you can have hosts.allow allow what you want then
hosts.deny has a rule:

ALL: ALL: spawn (echo Attempt from %h %a to %d at `date` | tee -a
/usr/adm/tcp.deny.log | mail -s "NETWORK DENY--myserver" [EMAIL PROTECTED]) &

which lets me know immediately if someone has tried something naughty. From the docs I
get the impression it can be done but I'm pretty stupid and can't figure out how.

TIA

Bill

Hi,

I would like to have an IMAP server with QMail.  I am having a difficult
time with choosing a package.  Could someone point me in a general
direction?  Compatibility is the main concern and right below it,
functionality.

Thanks for your time,

Jerry Hsieh

i am content with courier-imap together with qmail.

for more details see
http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/

wolfgang

"Matthew Patterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Pine has a patch that allows it to use Maildir mailboxes.

Thanks for pointing that out! In fact, the patch is installed in the
version of Pine distributed by RedHat. (However, there is no documentation
of the feature, so nobody will use it.)

> Maybe you could just write something like that for emacs.

The problems with that are (1) I *want* a command-line interface; I use
MH all the time even though it's not my primary mail reader, and (2) I'd
like to see the job done right, once, and other mail reader authors simply
leverage that. (Pipe dream, I know--they'll insist on rolling their own,
whether it works as well or not...)

Len.

--
The impossible dream: Run two mail readers at once!
http://www.pobox.com/~lbudney/linux/mdmh.html

Daniel Ceregatti wrote:

> Chris Johnson wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 11:37:15AM -0700, Daniel Ceregatti wrote:
> > > Recently, some weird stuff has been happening. All of a sudden, mail to
> > > certain users gets dropped (i.e. > /dev/null). It simply vanishes. No bounce,
> > > nothing. But other users are unaffected. To fix this situation I have to
> > > restart qmail.
> >
> > What Do the Logs Say? (copyright 1998, Dave Sill)
>
> [root@mail qmail]# tail -f /var/log/maillog
>
> Aug 24 12:24:55 mail qmail: 967145095.820766 new msg 932290
> Aug 24 12:24:55 mail qmail: 967145095.821360 info msg 932290: bytes 722 from
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> qp 7274 uid 401
> Aug 24 12:24:55 mail qmail: 967145095.912351 starting delivery 321: msg 932290 to
>local [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Aug 24 12:24:55 mail qmail: 967145095.912855 status: local 1/50 remote 1/50
> Aug 24 12:24:56 mail qmail: 967145096.852530 delivery 321: success: did_1+0+1/
> Aug 24 12:24:56 mail qmail: 967145096.852955 status: local 0/50 remote 1/50
> Aug 24 12:24:56 mail qmail: 967145096.853062 end msg 932290
>
> Yet...
>
> [root@mail qmail]# ls -l /var/qmail/users/miken/Maildir/new/
> total 0
>
> His Maildir is empty...
>
> Is there some other log I'm not aware of?

What are the contents of his .qmail file?

Eric

Daniel Ceregatti wrote:

> Yes, it was delivered to the Mailbox file in their directory. Thing is, this is a
>spool type file, mails are concatenated. Do you know a way to make this available to
>the user without parsing it and placing it into their regular directory? I tried
>simply placing the file in that directory but imapd doesn't seem to like it.

Remember to fix your default delivery setup, so that if your users rm their
.qmail files, mail will get delivered properly by default.  The default
delivery setup is given on the commandline after qmail-start.

Eric

> "Timothy L. Mayo" wrote:
>
> > Ok, so ldap lookup is failing.... user doesn't exist..
> >
> > what are the contents of /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-default?
> >
> > qmail delivered the message to something and did it successfully.
> >
> > On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Daniel Ceregatti wrote:
> >
> > > OK! Made some progress! Turns out the users that stop receiving email all have
>no .qmail file in their dir! It looks like it starts to crap out if it loses
>connectivity to ldap then it doesn't know what to do with the mail since there's no
>.qmail file. Well, 1 problem down, 1 to go!
> > >
> > > Thanks

>bounce,

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> qp 7274 uid 401
>932290 to local [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>did_1+0+1/

> > ---------------------------------
> > Timothy L. Mayo                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Senior Systems Administrator
> > localconnect(sm)
> > http://www.localconnect.net/
> >
> > The National Business Network Inc.      http://www.nb.net/
> > One Monroeville Center, Suite 850
> > Monroeville, PA  15146
> > (412) 810-8888 Phone
> > (412) 810-8886 Fax

Anyone know of a reliable way to correlate a particular smtpd log entry
with the message it delivered?  On a busy server the time stamps are too
close together to figure it out that way...

Gracias,
Ben

--
Ben Beuchler                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MAILER-DAEMON                                         (612) 321-9290 x101
Bitstream Underground                                   www.bitstream.net

AFAIK, you can't. smtpd only produces the IP addresses/hostnames, and it's own
pid. The IP addresses are passed to qmail-send through environment, I
think, but they're not logged. (it wouldn't be that useful for
cross-references, anyway)

RC

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 11:20:49PM -0500, Ben Beuchler wrote:
> Anyone know of a reliable way to correlate a particular smtpd log entry
> with the message it delivered?  On a busy server the time stamps are too
> close together to figure it out that way...
>
> Gracias,
> Ben
>
> --
> Ben Beuchler                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> MAILER-DAEMON                                         (612) 321-9290 x101
> Bitstream Underground                                   www.bitstream.net

--
+-------------------
| Ricardo Cerqueira
| PGP Key fingerprint  -  B7 05 13 CE 48 0A BF 1E  87 21 83 DB 28 DE 03 42
| Novis  -  Engenharia ISP / Rede Técnica
| Pç. Duque Saldanha, 1, 7º E / 1050-094 Lisboa / Portugal
| Tel: +351 21 0100000 - Fax: +351 21 0100001

PGP signature

Help.....

I tried to start to qmail-pop3d but it shows a message "-ERR this user has
no $HOME/Maildir". But all the users do have the Maildir directory. I don't
know why? Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

Regards,

Jerry

I hope this isn't too OT.

   I setup qmail-pop3 to run via supervise similar to
the way qmail is setup if you follow Life with qmail.
I created the /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3/log
directories and created the necessary "run" files (or
so I thought).
   Oddly enough, my /var partition had been filling up
at a steady rate of about 5% per day.  I couldn't
figure out what was going on.  When I did a 'du -ak'
from /var, nothing was changing (at least nothing of
this magnitude).  After a lot of poking around, I
found that I hadn't created the
/var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3/log/run file that
start multi-log.
   I stopped qmail-pop3d and all of the sudden my
space on /var returned.  Another 'du -ak' showed the
exact same results as before.  Same files, same sizes,
but A LOT more space was now available on /var.  I
then created the appropriate run file, and I haven't
had a problem since.  qmail-pop3d logs to
/var/log/qmail/pop3 like I want it.

   Can anyone explain this?  Is it possible to open a
file for output without giving it a name?  Would that
be the reason that du -ak didn't show a hidden file
slowly eating up disk space because supervise was
trying to report that it couldn't find the "run" file
in my /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3/log directory?

Am I losing it? :-)

As I mentioned above, everything is fine now, but I'd
still like to know why this happens.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Suse 6.4 stock

=====
=========
"I hate Windows NT because everytime I wear my Blu-Blockers the
dang monitor disappears!"

http://mail.yahoo.com/

Dear

I have already installed qmail on my freeBSD box. I think  i have
followed every step on qmail HOWTO. I ran test after it finished.
If I send from local to local and local to remote   both it' OK.  but If

i try to send from remote to local ( [EMAIL PROTECTED]  to
[EMAIL PROTECTED])  there is a problem occured, in the remote
computer the message appear like this : "(BHST) Unknown host/domain
name  [EMAIL PROTECTED]) Please check the message recipients and
try again"

qmail-smtpd run with inetd, so i try to configure file
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts but after i restart and then try again the
problem still appear

was there  something with my installation? please let me know why.

thank you very much
ARIF

Arif Rudiana wrote:

> Dear
>
> I have already installed qmail on my freeBSD box. I think  i have
> followed every step on qmail HOWTO. I ran test after it finished.
> If I send from local to local and local to remote   both it' OK.  but If
>
> i try to send from remote to local ( [EMAIL PROTECTED]  to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED])  there is a problem occured, in the remote
> computer the message appear like this : "(BHST) Unknown host/domain
> name  [EMAIL PROTECTED]) Please check the message recipients and
> try again"
>
> qmail-smtpd run with inetd, so i try to configure file
> /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts but after i restart and then try again the
> problem still appear
>
> was there  something with my installation? please let me know why.
>
> thank you very much
> ARIF

Well, it appears that you have some large problems with DNS. Please see
the attached file. Your DNS appears to be completely broken.

;)

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> local.domain @a.root-servers.net
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      local.domain, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       1D IN SOA       A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
hostmaster.nsiregistry.NET. (
                                        2000082501      ; serial
                                        30M             ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

;; Total query time: 204 msec
;; FROM: gandalf to SERVER: a.root-servers.net  198.41.0.4
;; WHEN: Sat Aug 26 01:35:44 2000
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 30  rcvd: 106

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> nowhere.domain @a.root-servers.net
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      nowhere.domain, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       1D IN SOA       A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
hostmaster.nsiregistry.NET. (
                                        2000082501      ; serial
                                        30M             ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

;; Total query time: 208 msec
;; FROM: gandalf to SERVER: a.root-servers.net  198.41.0.4
;; WHEN: Sat Aug 26 01:36:01 2000
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 32  rcvd: 108

            Hi ,

                I have some newbie questions .
                I would like to know how can I disable VRFY and EXPN on my
qmail server , in Sendmail server I could use novrfy and noexpn but , how
can I do this in qmail ? . These commands is a good way to make spam .
                I would like to know too how can I create an Email , so when
I send a message using this email it will send a copy of it to all users in
my email system including virtual emails but , if an user try to make a
reply of this email , it only will send a email to the email that I use to
send to all user and not to all users in my server .

                            Sorry for these questions ,

                                        Roberto Samarone Araujo (RSA)