Thus said "Bob Ross" on Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:00:18 PDT:

> Qmail has been getting very slow at responding. I also noticed in the logs
> that it is handling a lot of email that can't be returned(spam.)

What do you mean by "slow at responding?"  Do you mean that it takes a
long time for a message that is in the queue to be sent out or do you
mean that it takes a long time for incoming SMTP connections to respond?

Someone already suggested that it might be your auth port being blocked.
  If it is not that you might consider verifying that your trigger pipe
is still there.  You should have one in /var/qmail/queue/lock that
looks like:

prw--w--w-   1 qmails   qmail           0 Sep  1 18:29 trigger

If this is not there then qmail-send will only process the queue every
20 minutes.  This is also mentioned in LWQ:
http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#trigger

Andy
  6:40pm  up 36 days, 21:54,  4 users,  load average: 1.57, 1.46, 1.38