qmail Digest 2 Sep 2000 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 1111

Topics (messages 47770 through 47846):

Re: Sending an email to all users of my system
        47770 by: Vince Vielhaber

Re: Alias Support Question
        47771 by: Dave Sill
        47791 by: tom.sarratt.jr
        47794 by: Chris Garrigues
        47796 by: Dave Sill
        47797 by: tom.sarratt.jr
        47824 by: tom.sarratt.jr
        47844 by: Timothy Legant

Re: qmail-lspawn looks for local user?
        47772 by: Dave Sill
        47778 by: Daniel Augusto Fernandes
        47779 by: Dave Sill
        47789 by: Daniel Augusto Fernandes
        47812 by: Daniel Augusto Fernandes
        47816 by: Daniel Augusto Fernandes
        47820 by: Dave Sill
        47830 by: Daniel Augusto Fernandes
        47833 by: Dave Sill

Re: Virtual Domains
        47773 by: Wilson, Frank
        47777 by: Dave Sill
        47787 by: Nick Davies
        47788 by: Vince Vielhaber
        47809 by: Dale Miracle
        47810 by: Dale Miracle
        47811 by: Aaron Dougherty

Re: qmail-vpopmail question
        47774 by: Wilson, Frank
        47806 by: Dale Miracle

Re: user getting mailing list
        47775 by: Dave Sill

Re: Telnet 110 - ter
        47776 by: Marco

Re: Requesting the services of Hercule Poirrot
        47780 by: Dave Kitabjian
        47782 by: Dave Sill
        47785 by: Dave Kitabjian

SOLVED: so much qmail-smtpd activity, so little qmail-send activity...
        47781 by: Dave Kitabjian
        47783 by: Dave Sill

Qmail's queue speed
        47784 by: Steven Rice
        47786 by: James Raftery

Re: problem!
        47790 by: Ben Beuchler

user getting mailing list -bis-
        47792 by: Petre Rodan
        47798 by: Charles Cazabon
        47801 by: Dave Sill
        47817 by: Jonathan McDowell
        47823 by: Dave Sill

Start Qmail automatically
        47793 by: tigre21.gamma.qnet.com.pe

Re: clustered qmail  solution
        47795 by: Bill Carlson
        47799 by: Charles Cazabon
        47800 by: Dave Sill

Bounce suppression on .qmail lists
        47802 by: Angel, Christopher J
        47805 by: Petr Novotny
        47815 by: Matthew Patterson
        47821 by: Matthew Patterson

spam relay follow-up
        47803 by: Michael T. Babcock

Re: remove messages from queue
        47804 by: Daniel Augusto Fernandes
        47822 by: Jon Rust

Re: can not send email, but can receive email
        47807 by: Dale Miracle

Help please with a simple problem open-smtp code
        47808 by: Rob Havens

stripping attachments
        47813 by: Matthew Patterson
        47825 by: Matthew Patterson
        47827 by: Dave Sill
        47828 by: Matthew Patterson

Re: Sender domain verification ...
        47814 by: Keith Warno \(.HaggleWare.com\)
        47818 by: Chin Fang

Re: few q's for newbie
        47819 by: Matthew Patterson

Confusion about bouncesaying
        47826 by: David Dyer-Bennet
        47829 by: Charles Cazabon
        47831 by: David Dyer-Bennet

qmail-lint Re: Alias and Dot
        47832 by: Russell Nelson

rcpthosts prob
        47834 by: Z
        47835 by: Ronny Haryanto
        47836 by: Ben Beuchler
        47837 by: Z
        47841 by: Stephen Bosch

Queueing
        47838 by: Steven Rice
        47839 by: markd.bushwire.net

outgoing mail masquerading and /bin/mail
        47840 by: Stephen Bosch

Re: AUTH=LOGIN documentation, anyone?
        47842 by: Kris Kelley
        47845 by: Erwin Hoffmann

Re: Qmail 1.03
        47843 by: Andy Bradford

Maildrop examples
        47846 by: Col Wilson

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Roberto Samarone Araújo (RSA) wrote:

>                 I would like to know how can I create an email , so when
> I send a message using this email it will send a copy of it to all users in
> my email system including virtual emails but , if an user try to make a
> reply of this email , it only will send a email to the email that I use to
> send to all user and not to all users in my server . I don't want to create
> a moderated mailing list to do it .

Here's a script I use but I don't remember where it came from so if
anyone on the list recognizes it as theirs, speak up!

#!/bin/sh
# Build list of users from /etc/passwd starting with
# Line 18 so we don't send mail to non-users.
#
# Adjust below if statement to match your system.
#
(
cat /etc/passwd | awk '
BEGIN{
  FS=":"
  cnt=1
}
{
  if(cnt < 18){ cnt++ ; next }
  printf "[EMAIL PROTECTED]\n",$1
  cnt++
}'
) | grep -v qmail | grep -v alias | grep -v orders | grep -v ftp | grep -v
test
| grep -v spop3d > /tmp/mail_list
#
# You may need to use grep -v statement in for
# loop below if you have added automated users
# ie: postgres, etc.. to filter out.
#
# Now to email out to the users.
for user in `cat /tmp/mail_list`
do
   /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject ${user} < MailMessage
done

rm -f /tmp/mail_list
# End script

To use it, you can put it in your home dir (that's what I do) and create
a file called MailMessage.  At the top of the file put a To:, From:, and
a Subject: line, then a blank line, then your message.  Edit the above
script to put your domain in in place of YOURDOMAIN.HERE.  Run the script.
You may also want to edit the list of greps near the top to match your
system.  I noticed yesterday that I need to add dnscache and tinydns to
the list.  Also the (cnt < 18) change the 18 to the line number of your
first user in /etc/passwd.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.pop4.net
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I added the following to the .qmail-postmaster file in the alias directory:
>
>john.doe.jr@<company>.<org>
>
>I still receive the mailer-daemon message.
>
>What other data can I provide you to unscramble this mystery?

Show me the actual contents of ~alias/.qmail-postmaster and
control/virtualdomains, and a snippet from the qmail-send logs during
a failed delivery to postmaster.

-Dave

Dave,

Thank you for your patience and support.

Here is the data you requested:

1)      Actual contents of the ~alias/.qmail-postmaster file:

One Line:

&tom:sarratt:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Rights to the .qmail-postmaster file:

access params:  0664
owner:          alias
group:          qmail

2)      Contents of control/virtualdomains:

One Line:

missionprinting.org:missionprinting-org

Rights to virtualdomains file:

access params:          0644
owner:                  root
group:                  root

3)      Snippet from the QMAIL-Send Log showing the failure:

* I am unable to find the logfile, if it is being written, that is holding
send information.

4)      Partial listing of the users/assign file:

=missionprinting-org-tom.sarratt.jr:pop3ctrl:508:503:/popboxes/mprnt/sarrt2:
::

Rights to the assign CDB file:

access params:  0644
owner:          root
group:          root

***

Thank you.

Regards,
Tom Sarratt

>I added the following to the .qmail-postmaster file in the alias directory:
>
>john.doe.jr@<company>.<org>
>
>I still receive the mailer-daemon message.
>
>What other data can I provide you to unscramble this mystery?

Show me the actual contents of ~alias/.qmail-postmaster and
control/virtualdomains, and a snippet from the qmail-send logs during
a failed delivery to postmaster.

-Dave

> From:  "tom.sarratt.jr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date:  Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:04:10 -0500
>
> 1)    Actual contents of the ~alias/.qmail-postmaster file:
>
> One Line:
>

> &tom:sarratt:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm fairly sure that is a place where you do *not* want to substitute ':' for
'.'.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.

PGP signature

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>1)     Actual contents of the ~alias/.qmail-postmaster file:
>
>&tom:sarratt:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>2)     Contents of control/virtualdomains:
>
>missionprinting.org:missionprinting-org
>
>3)     Snippet from the QMAIL-Send Log showing the failure:
>
>* I am unable to find the logfile, if it is being written, that is holding
>send information.

How did you install qmail? (tm) What's in /var/qmail/rc?

>4)     Partial listing of the users/assign file:
>
>=missionprinting-org-tom.sarratt.jr:pop3ctrl:508:503:/popboxes/mprnt/sarrt2:
>::

OK, so a message comes in for postmaster@whatever and is presumably
handed off to qmail-local, user alias, where it's redirected to
tom:sarratt:[EMAIL PROTECTED] qmail-send sees that
missionprinting.org is a virtual domain, so it's directed to
missionprinting-org-tom:sarratt:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

qmail-lspawn looks at the mailbox name,
"missionprinting-org-tom:sarratt:jr". It doesn't find it in
users/assign (because colons aren't periods), and it can't be a valid
username, so the delivery fails with "no such mailbox".

Change the .qmail-postmaster file to:

&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

and it ought to work.

Apparently you were confused about the replacement of .'s with :'s in
extension addresses by qmail-local. That's not an issue here since
qmail-local will never see an address with an extension, with or
without .'s, in this case.

-Dave

Chris,

Previously, the file had been configured with the following line:

tom:sarratt:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

It is currently:

&tom:sarratt:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

based on a suggestion from another admin.

At this time, none of the suggestions have worked.

Your recommendations will be appreciated.  Thank you.

Regards,
Tom

> 1)    Actual contents of the ~alias/.qmail-postmaster file:
>
> One Line:
>

> &tom:sarratt:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm fairly sure that is a place where you do *not* want to substitute ':'
for
'.'.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com
4314 Avenue C
Austin, TX  78751-3709          +1 512 374 0500

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.

Dave,

Thank you for the suggestion, however, it still does not work.

Per your instructions, the ~alias/.qmail-postmaster file now contains:

&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

After making the alteration:

I went to another computer, started my EMAIL client (MS Outlook 2000)
logging in as [EMAIL PROTECTED], and SMTP's a test message
to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  I promptly received the failure message.

QUESTION
Am I supposed to cycle QMAIL (HUP) when I make an alteration like this?

To answer your questions:

How did you install qmail?
I contacted http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html and downloaded the file
qmail-1.03.tar.gz.  I unpacked it into /usr/local/src/qmail-1.03.  I then
followed the instructions outlined in the INSTALL document, omitting the
INSTALL.alias doc as it was confusing.  I completed the steps, all the way
to step 8, and then executed the instructions found at:
http://www.tibus.net/pgregg/projects/qmail/single-uid-howto.html.  After
completing these instructions, I then proceeded back to the INSTALL.alias
doc, and when it failed, I started researching the problem on the FAQ's,
docs, mans, and the EMAIL search engine.  That's how I ended up here.  Total
time: roughly two weeks.

What's in /var/qmail/rc?
The contents of the rc file is:

#!/bin/sh

# Using splogger to send the log through syslog.
# Using qmail-local to deliver messages to ~/Mailbox by default.

exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
qmail-start ./Mailbox splogger qmail

Security:

rights: 0755
user:           root
group:  qmail

However, I am attempting to build an rc.d script to start QMAIL.  Here is
its contents:

#!/bin/sh

# Source function library
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

# Source networking configuration
. /etc/sysconfig/network

# Make sure that networking resources are available
[ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ] && exit 0

# Perform a little file checking.  Check to make sure the files in question
# exist before proceeding.
[ -x /var/qmail/bin/qmail-start ] || exit 0
[ -x /var/qmail/bin/splogger ] || exit 0

# Define local variables and initialize
RETVAL=0

# Determine parameters used when calling this script
case "$1" in
  start)
     # Startup the QMAIL Engine.
     echo -n "Starting the QMAIL Engine: "
     exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
     qmail-start ./Mailbox splogger qmail &i
     success
     RETVAL=$?
     echo
     [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/qmmain
     ;;
  stop)
     # Stop the QMAIL Engine
     echo -n "Shutting down the QMAIL Engine: "
     killproc qmail-send
     RETVAL=$?
     echo
     [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/qmmain
     ;;
  status)
     status qmail-send
     RETVAL=$?
     ;;
  restart|reload)
     $0 stop
     sleep 5
     $0 start
     RETVAL=$?
     ;;
  *)
     echo "Usage: qmmain {start|stop|restart|status}"
     exit 1
esac

exit $RETVAL

*** END OF FILE ***

***

Dave, thank you for your help.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Tom Sarratt

>1)     Actual contents of the ~alias/.qmail-postmaster file:
>
>&tom:sarratt:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>2)     Contents of control/virtualdomains:
>
>missionprinting.org:missionprinting-org
>
>3)     Snippet from the QMAIL-Send Log showing the failure:
>
>* I am unable to find the logfile, if it is being written, that is holding
>send information.

How did you install qmail? (tm) What's in /var/qmail/rc?

>4)     Partial listing of the users/assign file:
>
>=missionprinting-org-tom.sarratt.jr:pop3ctrl:508:503:/popboxes/mprnt/sarrt2
:
>::

OK, so a message comes in for postmaster@whatever and is presumably
handed off to qmail-local, user alias, where it's redirected to
tom:sarratt:[EMAIL PROTECTED] qmail-send sees that
missionprinting.org is a virtual domain, so it's directed to
missionprinting-org-tom:sarratt:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

qmail-lspawn looks at the mailbox name,
"missionprinting-org-tom:sarratt:jr". It doesn't find it in
users/assign (because colons aren't periods), and it can't be a valid
username, so the delivery fails with "no such mailbox".

Change the .qmail-postmaster file to:

&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

and it ought to work.

Apparently you were confused about the replacement of .'s with :'s in
extension addresses by qmail-local. That's not an issue here since
qmail-local will never see an address with an extension, with or
without .'s, in this case.

-Dave

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 11:04:10AM -0500, tom.sarratt.jr wrote:

[snip...]
> Rights to the .qmail-postmaster file:
>
> access params:        0664
> owner:                alias
> group:                qmail
[snip...]

According to INSTALL.alias, you should create the ~alias/.qmail-XXX
files by touching them. Presumably you *wouldn't* be logged in as alias,
so the owner wouldn't be alias. Maybe that doesn't matter, but upon
inspection, I find all my ~alias/.qmail-XXX files are owned by
root:qmail.

Also, and more importantly, the dot-qmail man page says:

       If .qmail is world-writable or group-writable, qmail-local
       stops and indicates a temporary failure.

Your permissions are group writable. chmod 644 .qmail-postmaster and see
if the delivery works.

Tim
--
Tim Legant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Daniel Augusto Fernandes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Does qmail-lspawn look for local user before it calls qmail-local?

Yes, of course. Since qmail-local runs with the user's uid, the user
has to exist before qmail-local is started.

This question is also answered nicely by the /var/qmail/doc/PIC*2local
files.

>I've been told that "it is not the job of a mail delivery agent, such as
>maildrop, to figure out whether a user exists, or not. That's the mail
>server's job. That's what it's supposed to do. If the recipient mailbox
>does not exist, the mail server must bounce the message, instead of
>running a local mail delivery agent for a non-existent account".

Yes, all true, with the proviso that "mailbox" here means "mail user",
not "file or directory receiving incoming mail for a particular mail
user". In other words, if "joe" is a normal, non-root user who owns
his home directory (which is accessible to to user qmailp), then "joe"
is a "mailbox"--regardless of whether ~joe/Mailbox or ~joe/Maildir
exists.

-Dave

Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Daniel Augusto Fernandes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Does qmail-lspawn look for local user before it calls qmail-local?
>
> Yes, of course. Since qmail-local runs with the user's uid, the user
> has to exist before qmail-local is started.
>
> This question is also answered nicely by the /var/qmail/doc/PIC*2local
> files.
>
> >I've been told that "it is not the job of a mail delivery agent, such as
> >maildrop, to figure out whether a user exists, or not. That's the mail
> >server's job. That's what it's supposed to do. If the recipient mailbox
> >does not exist, the mail server must bounce the message, instead of
> >running a local mail delivery agent for a non-existent account".
>
> Yes, all true, with the proviso that "mailbox" here means "mail user",
> not "file or directory receiving incoming mail for a particular mail
> user". In other words, if "joe" is a normal, non-root user who owns
> his home directory (which is accessible to to user qmailp), then "joe"
> is a "mailbox"--regardless of whether ~joe/Mailbox or ~joe/Maildir
> exists.

And if the if it's a virtual domain account? It could not be able to set
to the user ID, does it look if the  recipient mail user actually
exists?

Thanks for your help,

Daniel Augusto Fernandes (DAF tm)               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
GCSNet                                    http://www.gcsnet.com.br/
                     Se você não encontra
                     o sentido das coisas
                     é porque este não
                     se encontra, se cria.
                                   Antoine Saint-Exupéry

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>And if the if it's a virtual domain account? It could not be able to set
>to the user ID, does it look if the  recipient mail user actually
>exists?

Again, the PIC's answer this question. Specifically
/var/qmail/doc/PIC.local2virt. And, again, yes, qmail-lspawn verifies
the virtual domain account.

-Dave

Dave Sill wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >And if the if it's a virtual domain account? It could not be able to set
> >to the user ID, does it look if the  recipient mail user actually
> >exists?
>
> Again, the PIC's answer this question. Specifically
> /var/qmail/doc/PIC.local2virt. And, again, yes, qmail-lspawn verifies
> the virtual domain account.

Ok... Sorry that!
It's just because I'm not at my office right now!

As soon as I get there I'll look at the PIC's...

Thanks again,

Daniel Augusto Fernandes wrote:

> Dave Sill wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > >And if the if it's a virtual domain account? It could not be able to set
> > >to the user ID, does it look if the  recipient mail user actually
> > >exists?
> >
> > Again, the PIC's answer this question. Specifically
> > /var/qmail/doc/PIC.local2virt. And, again, yes, qmail-lspawn verifies
> > the virtual domain account.
> >

> Ok... Sorry that!
> It's just because I'm not at my office right now!
>
> As soon as I get there I'll look at the PIC's...

I've looked the PIC.local2virt.
Question: When a virtual domain is assigned to an user like that:
+epostal.com.br-:epostal.com.br:3367:503:/home/vpopmail/domains/epostal.com.br:-::

What happens?

Does it setuid and chdir to that user home, look for .qmail-user?
What if it finds .qmail-default (as in my case)?

I have the folowing .qmail:
| preline maildrop -d "$EXT@$HOST"

How could qmail-lspawn know where I have my virtual users info? Like
/home/vpopmail/domains/*/vpasswd.

I'm a little lost yet...
:o(

Daniel Augusto Fernandes (DAF tm)               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
GCSNet                                    http://www.gcsnet.com.br/
                     Se você não encontra
                     o sentido das coisas
                     é porque este não
                     se encontra, se cria.
                                   Antoine Saint-Exupéry

I don't know if it will help but I'm sending my strace -f on qmail-send
and qmail-lspawn!

Daniel Augusto Fernandes (DAF tm)               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
GCSNet                                    http://www.gcsnet.com.br/
                     Se você não encontra
                     o sentido das coisas
                     é porque este não
                     se encontra, se cria.
                                   Antoine Saint-Exupéry

Daniel Augusto Fernandes wrote:

> Daniel Augusto Fernandes wrote:
> >
> > Dave Sill wrote:

> > > Again, the PIC's answer this question. Specifically
> > > /var/qmail/doc/PIC.local2virt. And, again, yes, qmail-lspawn verifies
> > > the virtual domain account.
> > >

> > Ok... Sorry that!
> > It's just because I'm not at my office right now!
> >
> > As soon as I get there I'll look at the PIC's...
> >

> I've looked the PIC.local2virt.
> Question: When a virtual domain is assigned to an user like that:
> +epostal.com.br-:epostal.com.br:3367:503:/home/vpopmail/domains/epostal.com.br:-::
>
> What happens?
>
> Does it setuid and chdir to that user home, look for .qmail-user?
> What if it finds .qmail-default (as in my case)?
>
> I have the folowing .qmail:
> | preline maildrop -d "$EXT@$HOST"
>
> How could qmail-lspawn know where I have my virtual users info? Like
> /home/vpopmail/domains/*/vpasswd.
>
> I'm a little lost yet...
> :o(
open("lock/trigger", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 8
open("todo", O_RDONLY)                  = 9
open("todo/731459", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 10
open("info/13/731459", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL, 0644) = 11
open("local/13/731459", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL, 0644) = 12
open("local/13/731459", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 10
open("info/13/731459", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 11
open("lock/trigger", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 8
open("todo", O_RDONLY)                  = 9
[pid  4897] chdir("/var/qmail")         = 0
[pid  4897] chdir("/home/vpopmail/domains/epostal.com.br") = 0
[pid  4897] execve("bin/qmail-local", ["bin/qmail-local", "--", "epostal.com.br",
"/home/vpopmail/domains/epostal.c"..., "epostal.com.br-ksjfd", "-", "ksjfd",
"epostal.com.br", "[EMAIL PROTECTED]", "| preline maildrop -d \"$EXT@$HO"...], [/* 1
var */]) = 0
[pid  4898] execve("/bin/sh", ["/bin/sh", "-c", " maildrop -d \"$EXT@$HOST\""], [/* 19
vars */]) = 0
open("13/731459", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK)  = 2
[pid  4897] open("users/cdb", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 5
[pid  4897] open("/etc/ld.so.cache", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4897] open("/lib/libc.so.5", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4897] open(".qmail-ksjfd", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
[pid  4897] open(".qmail-default", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 3
[pid  4898] open("/etc/ld.so.cache", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4898] open("/lib/libtermcap.so.2", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4898] open("/lib/libc.so.5", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4898] open("/etc/passwd", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4898] open("..", O_RDONLY)        = 3
[pid  4898] open("../..", O_RDONLY)     = 3
[pid  4898] open("../../..", O_RDONLY)  = 3
[pid  4898] open("../../../..", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4898] open("/etc/ld.so.cache", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4898] open("/lib/libgdbm.so.1", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4898] open("/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.27", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4898] open("/lib/libm.so.5", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4898] open("/lib/libc.so.5", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4898] open("/etc/userdb.dat", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4898] open("/etc/passwd", O_RDONLY) = 4
[pid  4898] open("/usr/lib/zoneinfo/localtime", O_RDONLY) = 5
[pid  4898] execve("/usr/local/bin/maildrop", ["maildrop", "-d",
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"], [/* 25 vars */]) = 0

open("lock/trigger", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 8
open("todo", O_RDONLY)                  = 9
open("todo/731461", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 10
open("info/15/731461", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL, 0644) = 11
open("local/15/731461", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL, 0644) = 12
open("local/15/731461", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 10
open("info/15/731461", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 11
open("lock/trigger", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 8
open("todo", O_RDONLY)                  = 9
[pid  4902] chdir("/var/qmail")         = 0
[pid  4902] chdir("/home/vpopmail/domains/epostal.com.br") = 0
[pid  4902] execve("bin/qmail-local", ["bin/qmail-local", "--", "epostal.com.br",
"/home/vpopmail/domains/epostal.c"..., "epostal.com.br-daftm", "-", "daftm",
"epostal.com.br", "[EMAIL PROTECTED]", "| preline maildrop -d \"$EXT@$HO"...], [/* 1
var */]) = 0
[pid  4903] execve("/bin/sh", ["/bin/sh", "-c", " maildrop -d \"$EXT@$HOST\""], [/* 19
vars */]) = 0
open("15/731461", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK)  = 2
[pid  4902] open("users/cdb", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 5
[pid  4902] open("/etc/ld.so.cache", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4902] open("/lib/libc.so.5", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4902] open(".qmail-daftm", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
[pid  4902] open(".qmail-default", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 3
[pid  4903] open("/etc/ld.so.cache", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4903] open("/lib/libtermcap.so.2", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4903] open("/lib/libc.so.5", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4903] open("/etc/passwd", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4903] open("..", O_RDONLY)        = 3
[pid  4903] open("../..", O_RDONLY)     = 3
[pid  4903] open("../../..", O_RDONLY)  = 3
[pid  4903] open("../../../..", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4903] open("/etc/ld.so.cache", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4903] open("/lib/libgdbm.so.1", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4903] open("/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.27", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4903] open("/lib/libm.so.5", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4903] open("/lib/libc.so.5", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4903] open("/etc/userdb.dat", O_RDONLY) = 3
open("local/15/731461", O_WRONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 9
open("info/15/731461", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK) = 9
[pid  4903] open("/etc/maildroprc", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4903] open(".mailfilter", O_RDONLY) = 3
[pid  4903] open("./Maildir/./tmp/967830798.4903_0.catope,S=1264",
O_WRONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_CREAT|O_EXCL, 0600) = 3
[pid  4903] chdir("/home/vpopmail/domains/epostal.com.br/G/daftm") = 0
[pid  4903] execve("/usr/local/bin/maildrop", ["maildrop", "-d",
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"], [/* 25m vars */]) = 0

Daniel Augusto Fernandes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've looked the PIC.local2virt.
>Question: When a virtual domain is assigned to an user like that:
>+epostal.com.br-:epostal.com.br:3367:503:/home/vpopmail/domains/epostal.com.br:-::
>
>What happens?

Well, unfortunately none of the PIC's cover the case of a successful
lookup in qmail-users. Luckily, "Life with qmail" answers this
question. See http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#qmail-users for
complete details.

>Does it setuid and chdir to that user home, look for .qmail-user?
>What if it finds .qmail-default (as in my case)?

qmail-lspawn runs qmail-local with the specified UID and GID. If the
message was sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED], it'd be delivered according
to instructions in /home/vpopmail/domains/epostal.com.br/.qmail-info.

>I have the folowing .qmail:
>| preline maildrop -d "$EXT@$HOST"
>
>How could qmail-lspawn know where I have my virtual users info? Like
>/home/vpopmail/domains/*/vpasswd.

I don't know exactly what you mean, and I don't use vpopmail, but if
there's a matching entry in users/assign, that specifies all the
details qmail-lspawn needs.

-Dave

Dave Sill wrote:

> Daniel Augusto Fernandes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I've looked the PIC.local2virt.
> >Question: When a virtual domain is assigned to an user like that:
> >+epostal.com.br-:epostal.com.br:3367:503:/home/vpopmail/domains/epostal.com.br:-::
> >
> >What happens?
>
> Well, unfortunately none of the PIC's cover the case of a successful
> lookup in qmail-users. Luckily, "Life with qmail" answers this
> question. See http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#qmail-users for
> complete details.

I'll study it.

> >Does it setuid and chdir to that user home, look for .qmail-user?
> >What if it finds .qmail-default (as in my case)?
>
> qmail-lspawn runs qmail-local with the specified UID and GID. If the
> message was sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED], it'd be delivered according
> to instructions in /home/vpopmail/domains/epostal.com.br/.qmail-info.
>
> >I have the folowing .qmail:
> >| preline maildrop -d "$EXT@$HOST"

I said it badly here. That is the '.qmail-default' for that virtual
domain.

> >How could qmail-lspawn know where I have my virtual users info? Like
> >/home/vpopmail/domains/*/vpasswd.

This was another question.

> I don't know exactly what you mean, and I don't use vpopmail, but if
> there's a matching entry in users/assign, that specifies all the
> details qmail-lspawn needs.

With this users/assign line:
+epostal.com.br-:epostal.com.br:3367:503:/home/vpopmail/domains/epostal.com.br:-::

What will it do next after not finding '.qmail-<user>' in
'/home/vpopmail/domains/epostal.com.br'?

Daniel Augusto Fernandes (DAF tm)               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
GCSNet                                    http://www.gcsnet.com.br/
                     Se você não encontra
                     o sentido das coisas
                     é porque este não
                     se encontra, se cria.
                                   Antoine Saint-Exupéry

Daniel Augusto Fernandes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>With this users/assign line:
>+epostal.com.br-:epostal.com.br:3367:503:/home/vpopmail/domains/epostal.com.br:-::
>
>What will it do next after not finding '.qmail-<user>' in
>'/home/vpopmail/domains/epostal.com.br'?

Look for .qmail-default and bounce with "no such mailbox" if it
doesn't find it.

-Dave

Aaron,

try checking out vpopmail
You'll find some info on it at http://www.inter7.com
Im using that system over Qmail myself, and it works gr8!

-fjw

   Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 04:48:27 -0400 (EDT)
   From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   [.... rest removed ...]

So, it's a domain name application.  Feeling curious, I did a nslookup
on qatestsession1.qa.netsol.com, immediately got the "Non-existent
host/domain" error.

The fact that the lowest Received: line shows the host indicates to me
that the host is resolvable via internal name servers inside of NSI,
but the hostname is not announced in NSI's external name servers.

However, if my understanding of the following from RFC 2505 is correct:

2.9. Verify "MAIL From:"

   The MTA SHOULD be able to perform a simple "sanity check" of the
   "MAIL From:" domain and refuse to receive mail if that domain is
   nonexistent (i.e. does not resolve to having an MX or an A record).
   If the DNS error is temporary, TempFail, the MTA MUST return a 4xx
   Return Code (Temporary Error). If the DNS error is an Authoritative
   NXdomain (host/domain unknown) the MTA SHOULD still return a 4xx
   Return Code (since this may just be primary and secondary DNS not
   being in sync) but it MAY allow for an 5xx Return Code (as configured
   by the sysadmin).

then by not making the hostname available for A or MX record checking,
Network Solutions, Inc. is foiling other people anti-spam effort, and
causing more administrative burden to administrators at other sites.

I would like to listen to others comments.

Regards,

Chin Fang
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Can qmail be configured to do sender domain verification (as mentioned
> below), ie, reject mail from domains that do not resolve?
>
> Thanks,
> kw

To whomever had originally asked why they no longer get new mail
notification now that they use Maildirs, also take a look at /etc/profile

MHP

The man page for bouncesaying is rather misleading.

       bouncesaying  feeds  each new mail message to program with
       the given arguments.  If  program  exits  0,  bouncesaying
       prints error and bounces the message.

This isn't true so far as I can tell. bouncesaying does not, ever,
actually bounce a message.  All it does is exit with status 100 after
printing the error.  This then causes qmail-local to bounce the
message.  And halts further deliveries.

This is a very significant distinction, because it means that the
following .qmail file doesn't do what the man page says it does:

    | bouncesaying "This address no longer accepts mail"
    &[EMAIL PROTECTED]

As described by the man page, this should send a bounce message, and
then deliver a copy via the logem alias.  But it doesn't; it bounces
it and stops delivering, so nothing is ever delivered via the logem
alias.

Obvsiouly the workaround is to forward to another alias that does the
bounce; multiple forwards will duplicate the message.  And that works
fine.

But this cost me a couple of hours hacking last night and today until
I finally figured out what was going on.

Dan, please update the bouncesaying manpage somehow so it correctly
describes the use of the program!
--
Photos: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon
Bookworms: http://ouroboros.demesne.com/ SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b

David Dyer-Bennet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The man page for bouncesaying is rather misleading.
[...]
>     | bouncesaying "This address no longer accepts mail"
>     &[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> As described by the man page, this should send a bounce message, and
> then deliver a copy via the logem alias.  But it doesn't; it bounces
> it and stops delivering, so nothing is ever delivered via the logem
> alias.
>
> Obvsiouly the workaround is to forward to another alias that does the
> bounce; multiple forwards will duplicate the message.  And that works
> fine.

Instead of forwarding, change it to a local delivery instruction, and have
the bouncesaying line second.  Then everything will work the way you
wanted.

Charles
Charles Cazabon                           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
QCC Communications Corporation                   Saskatoon, SK
My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my employer.

Charles Cazabon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 1 September 2000 at 13:35:04
-0600
 > David Dyer-Bennet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > > The man page for bouncesaying is rather misleading.
 > [...]
 > >     | bouncesaying "This address no longer accepts mail"
 > >     &[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > >
 > > As described by the man page, this should send a bounce message, and
 > > then deliver a copy via the logem alias.  But it doesn't; it bounces
 > > it and stops delivering, so nothing is ever delivered via the logem
 > > alias.
 > >
 > > Obvsiouly the workaround is to forward to another alias that does the
 > > bounce; multiple forwards will duplicate the message.  And that works
 > > fine.
 >
 > Instead of forwarding, change it to a local delivery instruction, and have
 > the bouncesaying line second.  Then everything will work the way you
 > wanted.

Hey, that's a particular combination I hadn't thought of.  That should
work, indeed.  (The funny handling of forwarding is, um, funny.  Part
of why it took me a couple hours to figure it all out was that, using
forwrading, the order of the lines *didn't* matter.)
--

Audouy Jérôme writes:
 >   Hi.
 >
 >   I have a user called "Jerome Audouy" his e-mail is
 > "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" and i want to use an alias like
 > "[EMAIL PROTECTED]". I try to add it in
 > /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-jerome.audouy but it seems that qmail
 > doesn't accept the "."
 >
 > some have a solution for me ?

Yes.  Run qmail-lint.  http://www.qmail.org/qmail-lint-0.55 .  It will
tell you about many misconfigurations.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com |
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Damn the firewalls!

i have installed ucspi-tcp and daemontools and my /etc/tcp.smtp
file looks like this:

127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
63.78.138.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
64.113.144.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
10.1.1.:allow, RELAYCLIENT=""
192.168.1.:allow, RELAYCLIENT=""

and i still get the error message that the domain is not in the
rcpthosts file and i AM sending from one of the IPs above.

can you help me with this?  inside my rcpthosts file is the
domains that i will accept to send mail, but it's looking at
address of where i'm sending it and not where it's from.

Thanks,

On 01-Sep-2000, Z wrote:
> i have installed ucspi-tcp and daemontools and my /etc/tcp.smtp
> file looks like this:
>
> 127.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
> 63.78.138.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
> 64.113.144.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
> 10.1.1.:allow, RELAYCLIENT=""
> 192.168.1.:allow, RELAYCLIENT=""
>
> and i still get the error message that the domain is not in the
> rcpthosts file and i AM sending from one of the IPs above.

Have you rebuild the cdb file with tcprules? How do you start your
smtpd? What does the smtpd log says when you connect?

Ronny

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 03:23:25PM -0500, Ronny Haryanto wrote:

> Have you rebuild the cdb file with tcprules? How do you start your
> smtpd? What does the smtpd log says when you connect?

And:  What does your tcpserver command line look like?  Have you tried
tcprulescheck?

Ben

--

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Ben Beuchler wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 03:23:25PM -0500, Ronny Haryanto wrote:
>
> > Have you rebuild the cdb file with tcprules? How do you start your
> > smtpd? What does the smtpd log says when you connect?
>
> And:  What does your tcpserver command line look like?  Have you tried
> tcprulescheck?
>
> Ben
>
> --
> Ben Beuchler                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> MAILER-DAEMON                                         (612) 321-9290 x101
> Bitstream Underground                                   www.bitstream.net

i'm getting this....

[root@proxy control]# tcprulescheck /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb
default:
allow connection
[root@proxy control]#

does this mean that it's not working correctly?

i reran:

 tcprules /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb /etc/tcp.smtp.tmp < /etc/tcp.smtp

and got:

[root@proxy control]# tcprulescheck /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb
rule :
allow connection
[root@proxy control]#

so what am i missing?

> i'm getting this....
>
> [root@proxy control]# tcprulescheck /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb
> default:
> allow connection
> [root@proxy control]#
>
> does this mean that it's not working correctly?
>
> i reran:
>
>  tcprules /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb /etc/tcp.smtp.tmp < /etc/tcp.smtp
>
> and got:
>
> [root@proxy control]# tcprulescheck /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb
> rule :
> allow connection
> [root@proxy control]#
>
> so what am i missing?

Aren't you supposed to specify the IP address you are checking when you
use tcprulescheck?

-Stephen-

Howdy,

I have alot of success with qmail and ezmlm over the years.  Last night
qmail and ezmlm sent 76,000 emails, from 12 lists, in four hours.
That's decent, but the server resouces (big bad powerful dual 600's,
1/2gig, 10k LVD-3, raid0 /w 128 cache, 100bt, HOOT HOOT!!) wasn't even
close to be pushed to their limits and it seamed qmail-send was limited
because of the way qmail-queue handle queuing.  Let me explain:

A week ago, a user asked me to build a list for their mailing list
becuase their server couldn't handle it and wanted to use my big power
evil qmail server.  Last night the user sent messages to the lists "one
after another".  It produced 12 file, about 1.6 megs a piece in remote,
one per dir, so conf-split wouldn't help.  We all know that qmail
currently handle the queue on a first come, first serve basis.  Each of
the lists are sorted by group.  Most of the address in a group are to
the same server, but not all addresses.  I have no choice in the way
they are grouped because the message for each group/list is uquie for
the group, even tough the majority of the body of the message is the
same.  The qmail server was being slowed down by the other guy's
server.  Instead of sending to list1, X amount mail to server A, Y
amount to server B, while doing the same for lists 2-12, qmail was going
through the list in an extremely simple and wasteful way: " list1,
message1, done, message2, done...  message 20,000, done, list2, message
1.... list12, message1, done....  message 20,000, done".

I believe qmail-queue should be aware of the limits of the other guy's
machine, and thus should not limit qmail-send.  Of course, Multi-RCPT
would require *MAJOR* work but getting qmail-queue to understand serverA
can take 20 connections at a time and ServerB can take 50, so keep 20
connection open, deliever 20 message to ServerA while sending 50 to
serverB, and if qmail runs out of new servers for list1, move on to
lists2, or what ever along as the local server is being pushed hard,
wouldn't take too much work, just another process to keep track of the
stats and direct qmail-queue.

Currently it appear the queuing is a limiting power of a powerful qmail
server.  Is there anything I can do to better the queuing in qmail?  Any
setting changes?  Has anyone wrote a patch for qmail-queue to handle
mail at the server level?  Is anyone willing to write a patch?  How do
other people, handle:

(15,000 messages to one server/domain) * 12

Thanks,

Steven Rice

Reply with flames and lame comments to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You might want to check the archives to this list which can be find via
www.qmail.org. Your question has been asked, answered, debated and flamed
about many, many times.

Bottom line? Unless you get someone to make the code changes
to qmail - you'll have to live with it or use another MTA.

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 04:44:01PM -0500, Steven Rice wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> wouldn't take too much work, just another process to keep track of the
> stats and direct qmail-queue.

Be our guest. Many have said "it wouldn't take too much work", strangely, few
if any have come up with the goods in the three or so years I have seen this
topic discussed on this list.

Regards.

Hello, all:

I have been trying to do something very, very simple for two days now.
No real luck yet.

I have a user on a machine behind a firewall that has a bogus domain
name - "hotcube"

The prompt looks like this:

[oracle@hotcube oracle] _

I want to send mail using /bin/mail but *change* the "From:" field on
the outgoing mail, since replying to oracle@hotcube (or even
[EMAIL PROTECTED]) is not what I desire; I want the "From" field
to contain the e-mail addresses of our customer service managers - but I
can't go and change the hostname on this box and I can't make an account
with a name identical to the customer service manager's external (email)
userid; there are multiple addresses and the From has to change
depending on the purpose of the sent e-mail.

I have been trying to do this using sendmail, but sendmail is, well, a
beast -- and it only lets you masquerade the domain name. I need to be
able to specify the *username* as well. For example:

Instead of

From: Oracle User <oracle@hotcube>

or

From: Oracle User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I need

From: Grapple-Grommets Customer Service <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have looked at nmh, and it is a bit more powerful than /bin/mail, but
still, it only seems to let you change the domain name -- it still
insists on using the userid in the e-mail address.

So, to summarize briefly:

Can I use qmail just to transmit outgoing mail, even if I don't have a
proper FQDN configured on the qmail server? I can't have things locking
up...
Are there any good *command-line* mail clients (like /bin/mail or mh or
nmh) that will let me specify the "From:" field? Is there any that would
work with qmail to accomplish this?

I can use a hand here - any help is appreciated.

-Stephen-

Forgive me for an off topic post, but I'm hoping somebody here can point me
in the right direction.

I'm looking for documentation that details how the ESMTP AUTH=LOGIN
mechanism works.  There doesn't seem to be an RFC for it, and I haven't had
any luck finding other documentation.  The AUTH=LOGIN mechanism is used by a
couple of qmail patches to provide SMTP relay authentication, and a coworker
of mine needs to know how it works so he can write an email client for it.
Thanks!

---Kris Kelley

Hi,

check RFC 2554 (SMTP Service Extension for Authentication).

cheers.
eh.

At 16:57 1.9.2000 -0500, Kris Kelley wrote:
>Forgive me for an off topic post, but I'm hoping somebody here can point me
>in the right direction.
>
>I'm looking for documentation that details how the ESMTP AUTH=LOGIN
>mechanism works.  There doesn't seem to be an RFC for it, and I haven't had
>any luck finding other documentation.  The AUTH=LOGIN mechanism is used by a
>couple of qmail patches to provide SMTP relay authentication, and a coworker
>of mine needs to know how it works so he can write an email client for it.
>Thanks!
>
>---Kris Kelley

|  fff        hh         http://www.fehcom.de        Dr. Erwin Hoffmann |
| ff          hh                                                        |
| ff    eee   hhhh      ccc   ooo    mm mm  mm       Wiener Weg 8       |
| fff  ee ee  hh  hh   cc   oo   oo  mmm  mm  mm     50858 Koeln        |
| ff  ee eee  hh  hh  cc   oo     oo mm   mm  mm                        |
| ff  eee     hh  hh   cc   oo   oo  mm   mm  mm     Tel 0221 484 4923  |
| ff   eeee   hh  hh    ccc   ooo    mm   mm  mm     Fax 0221 484 4924  |

Thus said "Bob Ross" on Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:00:18 PDT:

> Qmail has been getting very slow at responding. I also noticed in the logs
> that it is handling a lot of email that can't be returned(spam.)

What do you mean by "slow at responding?"  Do you mean that it takes a
long time for a message that is in the queue to be sent out or do you
mean that it takes a long time for incoming SMTP connections to respond?

Someone already suggested that it might be your auth port being blocked.
  If it is not that you might consider verifying that your trigger pipe
is still there.  You should have one in /var/qmail/queue/lock that
looks like:

prw--w--w-   1 qmails   qmail           0 Sep  1 18:29 trigger

If this is not there then qmail-send will only process the queue every
20 minutes.  This is also mentioned in LWQ:
http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#trigger

Andy
  6:40pm  up 36 days, 21:54,  4 users,  load average: 1.57, 1.46, 1.38

If anyone is using maildrop, I would appreciate a few example of what you
have all managed to do with it. please send them to me so I can compile some
notes.

At the moment I would particularly like to be able to do something like:

if ( test -e somefile )
{
}

Col Wilson