----- Original Message -----
From: "Petr Novotny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On 12 Sep 2000, at 16:32, Michael T. Babcock wrote:
>
> > cf. http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc974.html
> >
> > This is the only mention of the non-use of CNAMEs in the mail
> > standards.
>
> I beg to differ. Please have a look at RFC1912, called "Common
> DNS errors". Quoting section 2.4:

> >    [RFC 1034] in section 3.6.2 says this should not be done, and [RFC
> >    974] explicitly states that MX records shall not point to an alias
> >    defined by a CNAME.  This results in unnecessary indirection in
> >    accessing the data, and DNS resolvers and servers need to work more
> >    to get the answer.  If you really want to do this, you can
> >    accomplish the same thing by using a preprocessor such as m4 on
> >    your host files.

RFC1912 is "Category: Informational" and is a recommendation, not an
Internet standard (that was my original point).  RFC 1034 is also a
non-standard recommendation (only) from 1987 and I'm unable to open RFC 974
for perusal right now.

Please note the difference ... RFCs are good reading.  HTTP and several
other non-standard protocols are entirely implemented based on RFCs, but are
allowed to diverge from those RFCs without anyone having the right to be
terribly upset because they are /not/ Internet standards.  It is sometimes a
good idea to follow the recommendations in non-standards RFCs.  In many
cases, citing 'its in an RFC' is irrelevant though, as the carrier pigeon
implementation of IP should demonstrate.