On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 01:58:43PM +0900, James T. Perry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if somebody could help me out with the syntax
> to multilog.
> Please bare with me and my dumb question since I am not the
> one at "production level" yet with qmail...and heck, this may
> not be a multilog thing at all.
>
> In my /var/qmail/rc I have the following:
> (snipped from lwq - great doc!)
>
>   #!/bin/sh
>   exec env - $PATH="/var/qmail/bin":$PATH \
>     qmail-start '|preline procmail' splogger qmail
>
> Is there a way to change the above splogger to multilog
> (or something equivalent) and stop logging to syslog?

Sure.

1. Make a log directory for all the goodies that multilog likes, say,
/var/log/qmail/send
mkdir /var/log/qmail/send

2. Make sure this directory is owned by qmaill
chown qmaill /var/log/qmail/send
chmod u=rwx,og=rx /var/log/qmail/send

(Note that I don't see anywhere in the docs where it states that logger is started
with uid qmaill, but it is, and it makes sense.)

3. Change your startup to something like:

   exec env - $PATH="/var/qmail/bin":$PATH \
     qmail-start '|preline procmail' /usr/local/bin/multilog t /var/log/qmail/send

4. Restart qmail - perhaps with svc -t /service/qmail

> qmail-smtpd is already using multilog at /var/log/qmail.

Ahh. In this case, you will need to separate your multilogs, perhaps
/var/log/qmail/send and /var/log/qmail/smtpd

FAQ 7.7 makes an ancient reference to a similar process. It's worth reading, if
only for historical interest.

Regards.