wolfgang zeikat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>so we keep receiving mails from all over this lovely planet for the non
>existent users
>michellep tonyak jenniferd barbik melindaa gabriellej barbis doloresz
>melindab junem
>(exciting isn't it)
>
>i would like to process them automatically via a .qmail* file, and one
>thing i would like to extract automatically is the IP of the SMTP relay
>that sent the mail to our server.

For each user, create a ~alias/.qmail-username file containing:

  |extract_relay

where "extract_relay" is a shell/awk/perl/whatever script that finds
the relay IP address and logs it.

Writing this script is beyond the scope of this list.

>i am rather new at parsing ... and PERL? is that something you wear around
>your neck?
>
>sorry if you consider this off topic, it certainly is part of my life with
>qmail *g*

It's not that I "consider" it off topic, it's that it *is* off topic.
If it was a one-liner or something I could spout off the top of my
head, I'd be happy to answer you, but it's not. You really should pick
a scripting language, learn about it, and if you still need more help,
contact a support forum for that language.

-Dave