Quoting Aaron Goldblatt ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> qmail is apparently rejecting mail incoming to the local domain, responding
> with user unknown.  A friend attempted to send a message to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (an account I was careful to make sure existed before
> running this test).  His Sendmail produced the following output:
>
> Sep 21 21:21:11 got sendmail[4972]: VAA04970: to=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> ctladdr=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (0/0), delay=00:00:00,
> xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, relay=wndrgrl.goldblatt.net.
> [208.190.130.82], stat=User unknown
>
> I'm not getting anything in /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog.

I think that is probably because your mail server never recieved
an SMTP connection.

Look closely at that log snippet, and then think about how qmail
accepts _all_ mail destined for a local or virtual domain (unless
blocked by badmailfrom).  qmail does not output "User unknown" during
an SMTP conversation.  Now, you gotta love sendmaul, because it spits
out "User unknown" in its bounces even if the remote mail server said
something completely different (I can never remember why it does this,
I just know in my mind that it's brain dead), so don't pay any
attention to it.

I'm a bit confused as to why his sendmail program decided to bounce
the mail outright; probably a local misconfiguration of some sort.
The delay and xdelay stats show no delay at all in accepting and
attempting delivery to you.  Sendmail *never* does anything in less
than a second ;-)

Besides, I just did this:

220 wndrgrl.goldblatt.net ESMTP
HELO coinet.com