I've been using qmail for quite a while now (on my webserver), and
everything works as designed :)

Now I would like to send and receive mail on a few unix machines in a local
network (Solaris, Linux) through a single public 'mail gateway'. The setup
looks like the following (all machines are running qmail):

all hosts are in my.domain.com.
mailer.my.domain.com is MX for my.domain.com and can send and receive mail
to/from anywhere.
host1.my.domain.com can (right now) only send mail to other hosts in
my.domain.com (we've got an internal DNS for all hosts in my.domain.com,
and only mailer.my.domain.com is listed in the external DNS at our provider).

Sending mail from host1.my.domain.com through mailer.my.domain.com works,
but the from:-header still shows [EMAIL PROTECTED] as sender.
Receiving mail should work because even host1.my.domain.com isn't
resolvable from the internet, there's the MX-record for my.domain.com
pointing to mailer.my.domain.com. mailer.my.domain.com has to forward mail
to the other hosts depending on the receipient host.

But I'd like to have the outgoing from:-header rewritten by
mailer.my.domain.com. When it sends out a mail from
[EMAIL PROTECTED], the from:-line should be translated into
something like [EMAIL PROTECTED] or maybe
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (or something similar, it doesn't really
matter to me how the translated address looks like, as long as any user can
send mail this way). On the incoming side, a mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] should be forwarded to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I don't know how I should start - I could setup .qmail-files for every user
I want to forward mail from mailer.my.domain.com to another host in the
local network, but that's not a real solution because any user on any host
in my local network should be able to send mail. I guess it maybe could be
realized with virutal domains - but I haven't completly understood how to
set it up.

I'd really be grateful if someone could point me into the right direction
and give me some advice on how to setup this scenario.

Regards,
Tom