On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 04:58:13PM -0700, Dan Mahoney wrote:
> One of my customers has concerns about an employee sending proprietary
> info to a competitor, and has asked me to find a way to block or
> intercept all e-mail destined for a specific address outside of our
> domain. I know how to redirect all mail for that domain, but I can't
> quite figure out how to do so for a single address within that domain.
>
> Can I put a filter in front of qmail-remote that would test outgoing
> addresses and decide whether to continue? If so, how would I insert this
>
> filter into the pipeline? Or for an easier approach, can I use any
> special characters in a .qmail-default file that would be replaced by
> the original "To:" address? I'm kind of at a loss here.

Said user could send mail directly to the competitor's email server
directly, bypassing any mail system you have.

A broad action: proxy all outgoing connections on your net to the
SMTP port to an internal mail server under your control.  Any affort
to send mail out of your net will connect to your mailserver, where
all of your filtering rules can come into play.

Of course:

- the competitor can run a mail server on a nonstandard port.
- the employee could walk a diskette/cdrom home, and send mail from
  there.

Think about how much work you want to do...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert            <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
37 Crystal Ave. #303                    Daytime number: (603) 434-6842