Speaking of weirdness, I have an even stranger svscan problem, on my
home machine running FreeBSD 4.1: If I start svscan from /etc/rc.local
(in the line after xdm startup), my X server hangs, or rather it does
not seem to recognise any keyboard input.  Most keypresses elicit no
response at all, while Alt-Ctrl-Fn (for n!=2) produces the usual "no
virtual console there" beep.  With such an unresponsive machine, I
have no option other than hitting the reset button.  Not a hint in any
log file as to what can be the cause of this.  If I start svscan after
logging in, there is no problem.  And whether it is me or rc.local
starting the program, it happens through a shell script which really
boils down to env - PATH=... svscan, so changes in the environment
should be sort of irrelevant.

(I don't really expect the list to solve this one for me, but if
someone has a reasonable possible explanation, it might save me a lot
of work trying to debug it.)

- Harald