qmail Digest 7 Oct 2000 10:00:00 -0000 Issue 1146

Topics (messages 50096 through 50148):

Re: Help with my girlfriend?
        50096 by: Vince Vielhaber
        50101 by: Rob Hines Jr.
        50109 by: David Dyer-Bennet
        50130 by: Nathan J. Mehl

Re: xinetd vs. tcpserver
        50097 by: Bruno Wolff III

qmail-smtp-auth 0.25 released
        50098 by: Krzysztof Dabrowski

Email -> Fax package?
        50099 by: Brett Randall
        50100 by: Petr Novotny
        50105 by: Peter Samuel
        50119 by: Ben Beuchler
        50137 by: Russell Nelson

Re: Volunteers for a multilog patch?
        50102 by: Dave Sill
        50111 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen
        50113 by: markd.bushwire.net
        50115 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen
        50120 by: markd.bushwire.net
        50125 by: Brett Randall
        50128 by: markd.bushwire.net

Re: qmail list reply-to
        50103 by: Dave Sill
        50138 by: Russell Nelson
        50147 by: Robin S. Socha
        50148 by: Robin S. Socha

log only failures
        50104 by: Barry Smoke
        50106 by: Peter Samuel
        50107 by: dG
        50108 by: Peter Samuel

Re: who cares? (was: Volunteers for a multilog patch?)
        50110 by: ROD

Re: svscan weirdness...
        50112 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen
        50114 by: Vince Vielhaber
        50116 by: Harald Hanche-Olsen

Re: tcpserver
        50117 by: Dave Sill

Re: Clustering Qmail
        50118 by: Faried Nawaz

Configuration/user setup issues- can't find user
        50121 by: Barley
        50133 by: Martin Jespersen

user-*@mydomain.com
        50122 by: Ben Wilhelm
        50123 by: Charles Cazabon
        50127 by: Rob Hines Jr.
        50136 by: Ben Wilhelm

4 messages stuck in Q - how can I rm them?
        50124 by: Marc Knoop

vpopmail 4.9.5 development version available
        50126 by: Ken Jones

Re: IMAP support
        50129 by: Al Sparks
        50131 by: David Dyer-Bennet

what user is supposed to own .qmail?
        50132 by: Barley
        50134 by: Martin Jespersen
        50135 by: Cyril Bitterich
        50139 by: Russell Nelson

/etc/skel and ./Maildir .qmail
        50140 by: sam wun
        50141 by: Mike Glover
        50142 by: Greg White
        50146 by: Alexander Jernejcic

How to add X-forward to avoid loops?
        50143 by: O'Yang Kai

qmail-ldap-help
        50144 by: suresh

maildirsize quota
        50145 by: reach_prashant.zeenext.com

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Fabrice Scemama wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> > > A brave man giving himself options for servicing more than one gf. My
> > > system has /dev/wife with no options for others. In fact, the driver
> > > will actively hunt down other instances, kill -9 and remove all
> > > associated files :)
> >
> > That's because at one time you did a  mv /dev/gf0 /dev/wife   :)
> >
> > Vince.
>
> What a bad admin you are!
> you should have done a ln -s /dev/gf0 /dev/wife instead of
> using mv, this would have made divorce quite easier :)

rm -f /dev/wife  gets rid of both :)

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.pop4.net
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking

I found /dev/wfe0 online and installed it without realizing that the
device required /dev/gf0 be installed, since /dev/wfe0 was merely an
upgrade. Without the prerequisites, I could not mount /dev/wfe0 /home,
after much tweaking the device caused a kernel panic and I was locked
out of the system. That was a couple years ago.

I went to a new system and installed a new build, and tried starting by
installing /dev/gf0, then gf1, etc. Most would mount repeatedly, but
there was no data transaction with the kernel, recently, I installed
/dev/gf8, the latest version available. It would mount fine, and even
exchange data with the kernel, but in the background, it was logging to
shadowed file that I could not access, after several months that file
had grown so large that it caused a seg fault, the core dumped and
/dev/gf8 has disappeared from the system along with all the logs.

Ah well.

Rob

--
Rob Hines Jr.
System Administrator

Phone:  (317)469-4535
Fax:  (317)469-4508
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Peter Samuel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 5 October 2000 at 18:39:12 -0400
 > On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Adam McKenna wrote:
 >
 > > On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 03:19:33PM -0700, Ihnen, David wrote:
 > > > You know, alot of problems with the opposite sex might be easily figured if
 > > > we had the log file...
 > > >
 > > > The computer doesn't say, "well, if you don't know, I'M not going to tell
 > > > you!"
 > >
 > > strace /dev/gf0
 >
 > A brave man giving himself options for servicing more than one gf. My
 > system has /dev/wife with no options for others. In fact, the driver
 > will actively hunt down other instances, kill -9 and remove all
 > associated files :)

Look for the "poly" patch, available from major FTP sites around the
net.
--
David Dyer-Bennet / Welcome to the future! / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Photos: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/

In the immortal words of Julie Baumler ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> You guys obviously haven't heard about the alternate drivers which have
> multiple switches to allow things like a bind and top interface, multiple
> instances of /dev/gfn, /dev/bfn, compatibility between /dev/gfn and
> /dev/wife, etc.  Unfortunately, there tend to be serious conversion
> problems when using existing /dev/gf0, /dev/bf0, /dev/wife, and
> /dev/husband device nodes with the alternate drivers which can result in
> substancial permanent system resource degradation.

There's also the matter of import/export restrictions.  Certain
localities consider such patches to MonagamOS to be in violation of a
number of archaic statutes.  Luckily, such laws are enforced only
sporadically in the US, but one you've been forced by the state to
mount /dev/lawyer, all sorts of holy hell can break loose.  (cf.
www.paddleboro.org)

void main {

        free(your mind) && will_follow(your ass);

}

-n

------------------------------------------------------<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"What's the difference between a regular actuary and a Chicago actuary?
A regular actuary can tell you how many people will die in the next
year.  The Chicago actuary can tell you their names." --Chuck McClenahan
<http://www.blank.org/memory/>------------------------------------------

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 10:27:42AM +0200,
  Martin Jespersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The problem with tcpserver is that it doesn't use libwrap and this is
> absolutely nescessry since i have automated hosts.allow and hosts.deny
> generation by programs that i haven't written and are not a good enough
> coder to rewrite so they will support tcp-rules.

You don't want to just rely on host.{allow,deny} files. Not all networked
programs use them. You probably want to use something like IPChains
to only allow connections to specific ports from expected IP addresses.

As in subject.

Changes in this release:

- changed the error message when problems with starting checkpassword
occour. This was a big source of question ("out of memory") that i receive
in my e-mail.
- Joerg Strohmayer [EMAIL PROTECTED] showed me light in the dark. I've read
the SMTP AUTH RFC and assumend that if it uses SASL'a PLAIN, it has to be
implemented exactly like SASL RFC says. Poor me... SMTP AUTH says that it
also has to be base64 encoded. This is the relief for the infamous
NETSCAPE_WORKAROUND. Again big thanks for Joerg for not only telling me
where the problem is but also for providing the fully working patch.

Grab it at:

http://members.elysium.pl/brush/qmail-smtpd-auth/

If you are using this patch then download the new version ASAP.

Kris

Hi one and all

I have been asked to supply an additional function to qmail...to receive an
e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (eg [EMAIL PROTECTED]),
and put it into the queue for a fax program (which dials using an attached
fax modem). Now, my guess would be to have a local concurrency of 1, and
pipe each message (via .qmail-default) through a fax spooler...but has
anyone actually done this, and what do you guys reckon is the best package
to send faxes with? Alternately, is there a utility I can stick on qmail to
do this? I know there is for sendmail somewhere...and if need be I will
*try* and adapt it if all else fails, but any ideas? Thanks!

/BR

Manager
InterPlanetary Solutions
http://ipsware.com/

--
Petr Novotny, ANTEK CS
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Brett Randall wrote:

> Hi one and all
>
> I have been asked to supply an additional function to qmail...to receive an
> e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (eg [EMAIL PROTECTED]),
> and put it into the queue for a fax program (which dials using an attached
> fax modem). Now, my guess would be to have a local concurrency of 1, and
> pipe each message (via .qmail-default) through a fax spooler...but has
> anyone actually done this, and what do you guys reckon is the best package
> to send faxes with? Alternately, is there a utility I can stick on qmail to
> do this? I know there is for sendmail somewhere...and if need be I will
> *try* and adapt it if all else fails, but any ideas? Thanks!

setup a virtual domain for fax.hillsong.com

    /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains:
        fax.hillsong.com:faxuser

    ~faxuser/.qmail-default
        | decoder $DEFAULT

the decoder program should be able to extract relevant parts of the
message and send them to the fax spooler. $DEFAULT will contain the
user component of the email address which should be the phone number.
You can also overload the address to include fax header details, eg

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

decoder should have support for checking the sender's credentials so
that only authorised users can send faxes (otherwise I'll be abusing
the system to fax my Mum and Dad in Australia, and I'm sure you don't
want to pay for that :).

decoder should also remove any unwanted headers (do you really want
all those Received: headers in the fax?) and it should also know how
to handle mime decoding and ignore attachments that your fax system
doesn't understand, eg mpeg movies, MS Word documents etc).

I'm not aware of any system that does this yet. I have played around
with such a system (doesn't do the mime extraction or user credential
checking) that interfaces to mgetty+sendfax.

I've attached my code (which is sort of ugly) and will require changes
because it was coded for a specific installation where the fax modem
was on a different machine to the mailhost.

--
Regards
Peter

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"
#!/pkgs/bin/perl -w

#
# Simple SMTP to FAX gateway
#
# Uses mgetty+sendfax and qmail.
#
# This program takes advantage of qmail's address overloading features.
# Mail will be addressed to one of the following:
#
#   user-fax-number@domain
#   user-fax-number-attention@domain
#
# In the user's home directory will be two dot-qmail files
#
#   ~/.qmail-fax
#   ~/.qmail-fax-default
#
# The first file will catch any incoming mail without a fax number. It
# should be a link to ~/.qmail-fax-default.
#
# The second file should contain the following details
#
#   # Any sender restrictions can be placed here
#   | /path/to/smtp2fax
#

require 5;
use strict;
use Mail::Header;

my $faxspool =
    "rsh grizzly.ind.tansu.com.au PATH=$ENV{'PATH'} /pkgs/mgetty-1.1.17/bin/faxspool
-q -h -";

# You might need to prefix numbers with a PABX dialout code. This only
# applies to fax numbers that contain digits. If the fax number
# contains non-digit characters, the number will be assumed to be an
# entry in ~/.faxnrs.

my $phone_prefix = "0";

# Today's date
my $today = &today();

&initialise();
my ($fax_number, $attention) = &extract_fax_number();
my $header = &extract_headers();

open(FAX, "| $faxspool -f $ENV{'SENDER'} $fax_number -");
select FAX; $| = 1;

print FAX << "EOF";
From: $ENV{'SENDER'} via smtp2fax
Attention: $attention
Date: $today

EOF

print FAX "From: ", $header->get("From:")
    if (defined $header->get("From:"));

print FAX "Date: ", $header->get("Date:")
    if (defined $header->get("Date:"));

print FAX "Subject: ", $header->get("Subject:")
    if (defined $header->get("Subject:"));

print FAX "ReSent-From: ", $header->get("ReSent-From:")
    if (defined $header->get("ReSent-From:"));

print FAX "ReSent-Date: ", $header->get("ReSent-Date:")
    if (defined $header->get("ReSent-Date:"));

print FAX "ReSent-Subject: ", $header->get("ReSent-Subject:")
    if (defined $header->get("ReSent-Subject:"));

while(<STDIN>)
{
    print FAX;
}

close FAX;

exit(0);

sub initialise
{
    &is_input_from_qmail();
    &do_we_have_a_valid_sender();
    &do_we_have_a_valid_fax_number();
}

sub is_input_from_qmail
{
    # If qmail processed this message, it should have set the $DTLINE
    # environment variable.

    die "Input has not been processed by qmail.\n"
        unless defined $ENV{'DTLINE'};
}

sub do_we_have_a_valid_sender
{
    # Ignore bounce and double bounce messages

    if ($ENV{'SENDER'} =~ /^$|^#\@\[\]$/)
    {
        print STDERR "smtp2fax: ignoring input from invalid sender\n";
        exit(0);
    }
}

sub do_we_have_a_valid_fax_number
{
    # $DEFAULT should contain the number and the optional attention
    # string. If it is empty, then the sender has not supplied a fax
    # number.

    if ($ENV{'DEFAULT'} eq "")
    {
        # Blank lines in bounce messages should have some whitespace in
        # them. Otherwise qmail will display them as a slash instead of a
        # blank line.

        my $blank = " ";

        print << "EOF";
No fax number supplied in address.
$blank
Messages for the smtp2fax gateway should be addressed to:
$blank
    $ENV{'LOCAL'}-faxnumber-attention\@$ENV{'HOST'}
$blank
Where "faxnumber" is the telephone number of the remote fax machine and
"attention" is an optional Attention field with spaces replaced by
underbar characters. For example
$blank
    $ENV{'LOCAL'}-12345-To_whom_it_may_concern\@$ENV{'HOST'}
EOF

        exit(100);
    }
}

sub today
{
    require 'ctime.pl';

    return scalar localtime();
}

sub extract_fax_number
{
    my ($faxno, $attn) = split(/-/, $ENV{'DEFAULT'}, 2);

    # If the fax number contains digits only, insert the PABX dialout
    # prefix number. If the fax number contains other characters, it
    # should match an entry in ~/.faxnrs.

    if ($faxno =~ /^\d+$/)
    {
        $faxno = $phone_prefix . $faxno;
    }

    $attn = "To whom it may concern" unless $attn;

    $attn =~ s/_/ /g;

    return ($faxno, $attn);
}

sub extract_headers
{
    return new Mail::Header \*STDIN, Modify => 0, MailFrom => 'IGNORE';
}

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 11:31:01PM +1000, Brett Randall wrote:

> I have been asked to supply an additional function to qmail...to receive an
> e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (eg [EMAIL PROTECTED]),
> and put it into the queue for a fax program (which dials using an attached
> fax modem). Now, my guess would be to have a local concurrency of 1, and
> pipe each message (via .qmail-default) through a fax spooler...but has
> anyone actually done this, and what do you guys reckon is the best package
> to send faxes with? Alternately, is there a utility I can stick on qmail to
> do this? I know there is for sendmail somewhere...and if need be I will
> *try* and adapt it if all else fails, but any ideas? Thanks!

I've done this with HylaFAX and some simple perl scripts.  Pretty
straight-forward.

Ben

--
Ben Beuchler                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MAILER-DAEMON                                         (612) 321-9290 x101

Brett Randall writes:
 > Hi one and all
 >
 > I have been asked to supply an additional function to qmail...to receive an
 > e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (eg [EMAIL PROTECTED]),
 > and put it into the queue for a fax program (which dials using an attached
 > fax modem). Now, my guess would be to have a local concurrency of 1, and
 > pipe each message (via .qmail-default) through a fax spooler...but has
 > anyone actually done this, and what do you guys reckon is the best package
 > to send faxes with? Alternately, is there a utility I can stick on qmail to
 > do this? I know there is for sendmail somewhere...and if need be I will
 > *try* and adapt it if all else fails, but any ideas? Thanks!

Use mgetty's faxspool and it's a no-brainer:

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com | A hate crime makes
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | it illegal to think certain

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Dave Sill wrote:
>
>> We do some metric. E.g., nutritional information labels are metric. UK
>> is half and half, too.
>
>no it is not -- i think you'll find that it's now illegal to sell goods in
>'imperial' measures.

I was thinking specifically of road signs with miles/MPH. That could
have changed in the ten years since I was in England.

-Dave

+ Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

| "Brett Randall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|
| >I'm in need of some sanity. Does a patch exist, or does anyone want
| >to make one, to make multilog rotate logs based on time rather than
| >file size?
|
| There's a patch that causes multilog to close the current file when
| it receives a certain signal, but I don't have a pointer to it.

It should be easy enough, in principle, to solve this using
daemontools.  Assuming the logger is controlled by svscan/supervise
using a <service>/log directory, just have a cron job kill the logger
using svc -t.  Supervise will start a new logger.  Now, unless you do
something, the new logger will run in the same directory, and keep
appending to current until it's big enough.  To avoid this problem,
let the logger actually be a shell script along the lines of

#!/bin/sh
exec multilog ... `date +/var/log/foolog.%Y-%m-%d` ...

Voila, each day's log output in its own directory.  Postprocess and
rearrange to your heart's content.

This solution comes untested and without a warranty, but I can't see
why it should not work.

ObOffTopic:

+ Peter Samuel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

|     - 911 is the emergency number in North America, while it is 000 in
|       Oz, 999 in NZ and UK etc.

While it is 112 in the rest of the civilized world?  That's actually
an international standard.

- Harald

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 06:06:51PM +0200, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> using a <service>/log directory, just have a cron job kill the logger
> using svc -t.  Supervise will start a new logger.  Now, unless you do

That's the thought I had too, but I'd want to check that supervise
re-establishes the same pipeline between the two processes.

Regards.

+ [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

| On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 06:06:51PM +0200, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
|
| > using a <service>/log directory, just have a cron job kill the logger
| > using svc -t.  Supervise will start a new logger.  Now, unless you do
|
| That's the thought I had too, but I'd want to check that supervise
| re-establishes the same pipeline between the two processes.

svscan takes care of that by keeping the file descriptor to both ends
of the pipe open.

- Harald

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 07:07:11PM +0200, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> + [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>
> | On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 06:06:51PM +0200, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> |
> | > using a <service>/log directory, just have a cron job kill the logger
> | > using svc -t.  Supervise will start a new logger.  Now, unless you do
> |
> | That's the thought I had too, but I'd want to check that supervise
> | re-establishes the same pipeline between the two processes.
>
> svscan takes care of that by keeping the file descriptor to both ends
> of the pipe open.

Indeed. Of course svc -t doesn't propogate back up to svscan, instead
supervise (which has inherited the pipe) merely re-forks multilog.

In any event, using Harald's strategy works just fine. svc -t the log
service at midnight or whenever, and your job is done.

If you insist on just one file per time period (day) then you'll need
to discourage multilog from automatically rolling by making the size
setting absurdly large. Of course by doing this you remove a major
advantage of multilog, namely resource control.

Regards.

> If you insist on just one file per time period (day) then you'll need
> to discourage multilog from automatically rolling by making the size
> setting absurdly large. Of course by doing this you remove a major
> advantage of multilog, namely resource control.

Resource control is a nice idea, but really I mean how many admins have way
more than enough disk space to handle logs? Even if a day's mail log reached
50mb (we have about 200 users, so this figure is pretty damn huge for one
day), then on a standard 9gb drive we can still fit 180 days logs, not
taking into account a compression factor of 10:1 once logs are archived, and
our normal backup routine. I'm not sure really why an option wasn't included
in multilog for time-based or size-based logs. Logs filling up my hard drive
is never a worry...I keep an eye on such things, and in the last 4 years
have never had a problem and none in the forseeable future, either. Of
course, a good backup routine helps.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and help, guys (Harald in particular).
I'll give that a go when I get back.

/BR

Manager
InterPlanetary Solutions
http://ipsware.com/

On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 08:03:04AM +1000, Brett Randall wrote:
> > If you insist on just one file per time period (day) then you'll need
> > to discourage multilog from automatically rolling by making the size
> > setting absurdly large. Of course by doing this you remove a major
> > advantage of multilog, namely resource control.
>
> Resource control is a nice idea, but really I mean how many admins have way
> more than enough disk space to handle logs? Even if a day's mail log reached
> 50mb (we have about 200 users, so this figure is pretty damn huge

Well, a system I work on regularly does 20+ million deliveries a week. Your
figure is pretty damn small, actually.

> in multilog for time-based or size-based logs. Logs filling up my hard drive
> is never a worry...I keep an eye on such things

When you look after 50+ systems that all have unbounded resource usage,
you need a lot more than two eyes. Do you really want to spend your days
lookng at log file sizes or are you ready for something a little more
challenging? The novelty does wear off, I assure you.

Regards.

"Bob Ross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I noticed that also. Some just select reply to all, and it will go both
>places, but then the person your replying to will get two of the same email
>every time.

"Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better mailer."

If your mailer won't let you edit the To/CC fields beyond "reply" or
"reply to all", it's a worthless hunk of trash. Good mailers are
available for free; there's no excuse not to use one of them.

-Dave

Bob Ross writes:
 > I noticed that also. Some just select reply to all, and it will go both
 > places, but then the person you're replying to will get two of the same email
 > every time.

Your MUA needs a "Reply to Recipient" command.

--

* Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Bob Ross writes:

>> I noticed that also. Some just select reply to all, and it will go
>> both places, but then the person you're replying to will get two of
>> the same email every time.

> Your MUA needs a "Reply to Recipient" command.

Actually, he needs:

,----[ Gnus manual ]
`----
--
Robin S. Socha <http://socha.net/Gnus/>

`----
--
Robin S. Socha <http://socha.net/Gnus/>

I can't find how to log only failures....
I am using Bruce's qmail rpm, and daemontools, svscan,
I only want connection failures, and delivery failures in the log...
How do I do this?

Thanks,
Barry Smoke
Network Administrator
Bryant Public Schools
Bryant, AR

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Barry Smoke wrote:

> I can't find how to log only failures....
> I am using Bruce's qmail rpm, and daemontools, svscan,
> I only want connection failures, and delivery failures in the log...
> How do I do this?

You can do it by applying appropriate filtering rules to multilog.
However, it's not going to be useful. Failure and deferral messages only
have the delivery tag:

@4000000039dde6360d85b15c delivery 298676: failure:

172.16.130.10_does_not_like_recipient./Remote_host_said:_550_unknown_user_<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/Giving_up_on_172.16.130.10./
@4000000039dde56e3436fb44 delivery 298646: deferral:
    Sorry,_I_wasn't_able_to_establish_an_SMTP_connection._(#4.4.1)/

They don't contain any details about sender or recipient.

A better approach wuld be to log everything and then use qmailanalog
to extract the failure and deferral details. The matchup program from
qmailanalog matches message details and can show complete deferral and
failure details.

d z 970843006.580543500 970843407.818370500 970843440.506717500 11211
<> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 9688 404
209.96.210.73_failed_on_DATA_command./Remote_host_said:_451_qqt_failure_(#4.3.0)/

You'll need some way of converting the tai64 timestamps to unix epoch
timestamps. Russ Allbery has such a program, as do I - see www.qmail.org
for details.

--
Regards
Peter
Peter Samuel                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.e-smith.org (development)    http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
Phone: +1 613 368 4398                  Fax: +1 613 564 7739
e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"

> A better approach wuld be to log everything and then use qmailanalog
> to extract the failure and deferral details. The matchup program from
> qmailanalog matches message details and can show complete deferral and
> failure details.

Has anyone written a decent How-To for using qmailanalog?

Thanks,

David

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, dG wrote:

> > A better approach wuld be to log everything and then use qmailanalog
> > to extract the failure and deferral details. The matchup program from
> > qmailanalog matches message details and can show complete deferral and
> > failure details.
> >

> Has anyone written a decent How-To for using qmailanalog?

The source distro comes with man pages (it's one of Dan's older
works). There's also the MATCHUP file that comes with the source
distro. Using it is not that difficult.

--
Regards
Peter
Peter Samuel                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.e-smith.org (development)    http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
Phone: +1 613 368 4398                  Fax: +1 613 564 7739
e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"

Well said!

> The qmail list isn't just a qmail hotline, it's an on-line community
> of people interested in qmail. If some of us want to talk about other
> topics now and then, we will. Feel free not to participate in such
> discussions.
>
> -Dave

Speaking of weirdness, I have an even stranger svscan problem, on my
home machine running FreeBSD 4.1: If I start svscan from /etc/rc.local
(in the line after xdm startup), my X server hangs, or rather it does
not seem to recognise any keyboard input.  Most keypresses elicit no
response at all, while Alt-Ctrl-Fn (for n!=2) produces the usual "no
virtual console there" beep.  With such an unresponsive machine, I
have no option other than hitting the reset button.  Not a hint in any
log file as to what can be the cause of this.  If I start svscan after
logging in, there is no problem.  And whether it is me or rc.local
starting the program, it happens through a shell script which really
boils down to env - PATH=... svscan, so changes in the environment
should be sort of irrelevant.

(I don't really expect the list to solve this one for me, but if
someone has a reasonable possible explanation, it might save me a lot
of work trying to debug it.)

- Harald

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> Speaking of weirdness, I have an even stranger svscan problem, on my
> home machine running FreeBSD 4.1: If I start svscan from /etc/rc.local
> (in the line after xdm startup), my X server hangs, or rather it does
> not seem to recognise any keyboard input.  Most keypresses elicit no
> response at all, while Alt-Ctrl-Fn (for n!=2) produces the usual "no
> virtual console there" beep.  With such an unresponsive machine, I
> have no option other than hitting the reset button.  Not a hint in any
> log file as to what can be the cause of this.  If I start svscan after
> logging in, there is no problem.  And whether it is me or rc.local
> starting the program, it happens through a shell script which really
> boils down to env - PATH=... svscan, so changes in the environment
> should be sort of irrelevant.
>
> (I don't really expect the list to solve this one for me, but if
> someone has a reasonable possible explanation, it might save me a lot
> of work trying to debug it.)

Why not start xdm from /etc/ttys ?   Outa curiousity does xdm work
normally if you don't start svscan?

+ Vince Vielhaber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

| Why not start xdm from /etc/ttys ?

I think my reasoning was that the X server will simply take the first
available virtual console, and while that is fairly predictable, if
something breaks there is a potential surprise there.  Possibly even a
race condition between the X server and a bunch of gettys?

| Outa curiousity does xdm work normally if you don't start svscan?

Oh, yes.  That's how I run it now.  What I really should do next is
to run svscan but not xdm at startup to see what happens then.  It's
just that when every failed experiment requires a hit to the reset
button, with subsequent fsck-ing before I can get back to work, I tend
to put it off.

- Harald

"jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Please bear with me this is new to me and I want to learn. I would like to
>know where I put my tcpserver line,

How did you install qmail? How is it being started?

>should it go in my qmail script file at
>the top or bottom?  Or should I put in an exec bash file all by itself on
>start up?

Insufficient data.

>Can I have more than one tcpserver line to start different
>things?

Yes, that's how it works.

>I noticed in the FAQ there are different tcpserver set-ups.

...More than one way to skin a cat.

>Other tcpserver set-ups have qmail-smptd in it but I don't.  Do I need it?

No. You don't need qmail-smtpd at all if you don't accept incoming
mail, or you can start qmail-smtpd from inetd or xinetd.

>I'm implementing the RELAYCLIENT option, [FAQ 5.4] and it says to insert
>the -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb after the tcpserver in my qmail-smtpd invocation,
>but qmail-smtpd isn't in my tcpserver line.

If you followed the "Life with qmail" instructions, you'd be running
qmail-smtpd under tcpserver via /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run
and you'd already have an /etc/tcp.smtp.

-Dave

I think coda came up on this list a while ago, and someone said it was, like
afs, slow.  I don't think actual statistics were posted, though.  Try the
archives.

Faried.
--
                              self name.
                          i want to live/to see the earth turn one more time

Hello all,

First off, thanks to everyone for the help so far. I am now able to telnet
successfully to port 25 and 110. Y'all rock!

I'm trying to follow Life With Qmail (what a lifesaver) and the instructions
for setting up multiple pop users under one userid. Unfortunately, it's
bouncing messages back saying user unknown. I'm sure this is some lame
config problem of mine, but believe me, I've gone through the docs trying to
figure it out. If I had just one working user as a template, I'm sure I'd be
fine.

Soooo, specifics: one domain I'm hosting on my box is called
branaghgroup.com. I want to make an email user 'barley' lets say so that my
machine will accept mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and allow barley to
retrive mail via pop3.Here's what I did: (pipe in whenever you see something
wrong ;) :

I added a line to control/virtualdomains like this:
branaghgroup.com:branaghgroup-com

I added a line to control/rcpthosts:
LOCALHOST
26-209.196.58.interliant.com
27-209.196.58.interliant.com
28-209.196.58.interliant.com
29-209.196.58.interliant.com
30-209.196.58.interliant.com
branaghgroup.com                  <----------------(only line I added)

control/locals looks just like above minus the last line.

users/assign, I added:
=branaghgroup-com-barley:popuser:516:516:/var/qmail/popboxes/branaghgroup-co
m/barley:::

...all one line, where 516 is the uid/gid of the user popuser. Strangely,
when I run qmail-newu with this line, it doesn't work, saying:
qmail-newu: fatal: bad format in users/assign

Whats wrong with that entry? I think I had it wrong and want to recompile
the db with the above, but no dice for some reason.

checkpassword finds the user barley just fine. That's not my problem. The
system won't recieve mail for [EMAIL PROTECTED] The log looks like
so:
new msg 896311
info msg 896311: bytes 818 from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> qp 446     uid
510
starting delivery 12: failure:
Sorry,_no_mailbox_here_by_that_name._(#5.1.1)/
status: local 0/10 remote 0/20
bounce msg 896311 qp 451
end msg 896311

...and then it sends me an error email. So my best guess is that its a
product of users/assign being wrong. Does that seem plausible? Why do you
think qmail-newu doesn't like my entry? Have I done something else stupid
that anyone sees? Help! ;) TIA.

Gregg

Barley wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> First off, thanks to everyone for the help so far. I am now able to telnet
> successfully to port 25 and 110. Y'all rock!
>
> I'm trying to follow Life With Qmail (what a lifesaver) and the instructions
> for setting up multiple pop users under one userid. Unfortunately, it's
> bouncing messages back saying user unknown. I'm sure this is some lame
> config problem of mine, but believe me, I've gone through the docs trying to
> figure it out. If I had just one working user as a template, I'm sure I'd be
> fine.
>
> Soooo, specifics: one domain I'm hosting on my box is called
> branaghgroup.com. I want to make an email user 'barley' lets say so that my
> machine will accept mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and allow barley to
> retrive mail via pop3.Here's what I did: (pipe in whenever you see something
> wrong ;) :
>
> I added a line to control/virtualdomains like this:
> branaghgroup.com:branaghgroup-com

ok so here is the first problem that i see...

You haven't specified a user to control this domain, unless ofcause that the user is
called
'branaghgroup'

What you prolly need is:

branaghgroup.com:alias-branaghgroup:com

then the alias user will control that domain.

Now you can set up the dot-qmail file ~alias/.qmail-branaghgroup:com-barney:

&[EMAIL PROTECTED]

and you should probably also set up ~alias/.qmail-branaghgroup:com-barney-default:

so that barney will also receive barney-*@your.local.host.name

> I added a line to control/rcpthosts:
> LOCALHOST
> 26-209.196.58.interliant.com
> 27-209.196.58.interliant.com
> 28-209.196.58.interliant.com
> 29-209.196.58.interliant.com
> 30-209.196.58.interliant.com
> branaghgroup.com                  <----------------(only line I added)
>
> control/locals looks just like above minus the last line.
>
> users/assign, I added:
> =branaghgroup-com-barley:popuser:516:516:/var/qmail/popboxes/branaghgroup-co
> m/barley:::
>
> ...all one line, where 516 is the uid/gid of the user popuser. Strangely,
> when I run qmail-newu with this line, it doesn't work, saying:
> qmail-newu: fatal: bad format in users/assign

you need a single line on the end of the assign file only containing a .

so it should in your case look like:

=branaghgroup-com-barley:popuser:516:516:/var/qmail/popboxes/branaghgroup-com/barley:::
.

but if you follow the setup i described above the file should look more like:

=barley:popuser:516:516:/var/qmail/popboxes/branaghgroup-com/barley:::
.

maybe all you need to do for your current setup to work is top add the single line
with a dot to
assign... i'm not sure, since i don't know qmail well enough yet to figure out from
the top of my
head of you can control virtual domains directly through the assign file as you have
set it up to
do.

If it works however i'd like to know :)

---snip the rest-------

/Martin

Okay, please excuse an extremely newbie question, but - I know with some
e-mail progs it's possible to set up a sort of automatic forwarding of all
the addresses of the form "user-*@mydomain.com" to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Is
there a way to do this with qmail? If there is, I haven't found it :) Thanks
in advance . . .

-Ben

Ben Wilhelm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Okay, please excuse an extremely newbie question, but - I know with some
> e-mail progs it's possible to set up a sort of automatic forwarding of all
> the addresses of the form "user-*@mydomain.com" to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Is
> there a way to do this with qmail? If there is, I haven't found it :) Thanks
> in advance . . .

man dot-qmail.  Consider especially those sections dealing with '-default'.

Charles

Check the qmail manpage for dot-qmail

Rob

--
Rob Hines Jr.
System Administrator

Phone:  (317)469-4535
Fax:  (317)469-4508
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Doh - just realized I sent this message privately, even after I read a
thread a while back about why it's not set up for reply-to. Anyway, here it
is for the benefit of the list and anyone who may be able to search the
archives.

First off - thanks! Even if I can't get it any better, this is almost
exactly what I needed. But - I can't seem to find a way to get it to work
automatically for all users. From what I'm looking at, I either need a
.qmail-default file in each user's directory, or I need to make an entry in
/var/qmail/users/assign every time I add a user. Am I wrong here? Or should
I just play around with adduser to get it to do the little extra I need?

-Ben

> > Okay, please excuse an extremely newbie question, but - I know with some
> > e-mail progs it's possible to set up a sort of automatic forwarding of
all
> > the addresses of the form "user-*@mydomain.com" to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Is
> > there a way to do this with qmail? If there is, I haven't found it :)
Thanks
> > in advance . . .
>
> man dot-qmail.  Consider especially those sections dealing with
'-default'.

> Charles
> --
> Charles Cazabon                            <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> GPL'ed software available at:  http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/
> Any opinions expressed are just that -- my opinions.

Hi folks.

It seems that I have 4 message stuck in the queue, and believe it or not,
the *logs* may show why!  ;)

****Log Excerpt
2000-10-06 16:29:31.137609500 starting delivery 29: msg 642823 to local
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
2000-10-06 16:29:31.137772500 status: local 1/10 remote 0/175
2000-10-06 16:29:31.145975500 delivery 29: deferral:
Unable_to_chdir_to_maildir._(#4.2.1)/
2000-10-06 16:29:31.146120500 status: local 0/10 remote 0/175
****

Where as a successful entry reads:
2000-10-06 15:35:23.162512500 starting delivery 22: msg 642827 to local
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

^^^^^^^^^^
Failing message doesn't have the domain name first.

I'm not sure what generated those 4 messages, but I'd guess that it must
have been another service running on the local machine (as qmail wouldn't
accept a message that's not in my list, right?).

Any thoughts?  I'd like to read the messages (just in case it was something
important), but I am fine by deleting it (unless it happens again).

TIA,

../mk - w. logs!  ;)

Changes:

Oct 5  - integrated Krzysztof Dabrowski changes to the source code for
         setting up domains under /etc/passwd users other than vpopmail.

       - vadduser: fix command line parsing, fix core dumps on
incomplete
         command line options, add check for ctrl-D break out of
         vgetpassword function.

       - updated vauth_getpw in cdb module to return error if program
         does not have permission to get a write lock

       - updated vuserinfo to have new output syntax, plus will output
         all fields for a user if no options except email address is
given.

       - removed redundant chdir() in vadduser in vpopmail.c

The major change is domain based quotas. Virtual email domains can
be added under any /etc/passwd users home directory. All email is
stored under that users uid/gid in thier home directory. Then
operating system based user quotas will apply to the virtual
email domain.

New option to vadddomain -u username
where username is a username from /etc/passwd

For example

vadddomain -u kbo kbo.com test

where kbo's home directory is /home/kbo

This will create a /home/kbo/domains/kbo.com directory
where all the vpopmail directories and emails get stored
as the kbo user.

It only been tested with the cdb module. I've found it works
with under any user and also under the vpopmail user.

Thanks to Krzysztof Dabrowski for the majority of the new code.

Ken Jones
http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail/

I've got a test environment set up, and courier is working out very well.

As far as the install goes, it wasn't too bad, but they do things a little differently
than the typical tarball install.  Read the (lengthy) configuration document.  Don't
just type
   $ make
   $ make install

One thing about courier is they require you to run "make" as NON-root.  You only run
"make install" as root.  So you have to make sure the non-root userid has access to
the files.  I had never seen that requirement before with other software.

There is a courier mailing list.  See
            http://lists.sourceforge.net/mailman/listinfo/courier-users
for more info.
    === Al

--- Brett Randall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Any advice?  What IMAP servers do you guys use?  How do you set IMAP up?
>
> Try Courier IMAP (look on qmail.org). I have been using that one and it
> appears to work fine, with virtually no config (ok, a tad, but not much)
> needed.
>
> /BR
>

> Manager
> InterPlanetary Solutions
> http://ipsware.com/

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Al Sparks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 6 October 2000 at 15:03:40 -0700

 > One thing about courier is they require you to run "make" as
 > NON-root.  You only run "make install" as root.  So you have to
 > make sure the non-root userid has access to the files.  I had never
 > seen that requirement before with other software.

I haven't seen it as a requirement, but I try to remember to do as
much as possible as non-root, and untarring and running complex
makefiles is a really good candidate.
--
David Dyer-Bennet / Welcome to the future! / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Photos: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/ Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/

That's it, what user is supposed to own .qmail? Also, in reading the man
page it seemed to me that .qmail should have permissions of 644...sound
right?

Gregg

Barley wrote:

> That's it, what user is supposed to own .qmail? Also, in reading the man
> page it seemed to me that .qmail should have permissions of 644...sound
> right?
>
> Gregg

.qmail is supposed to be owned by the user for who it is handeling incomming mails

i usually chmod .qmail files to 600

/Martin

Barley wrote:

> That's it, what user is supposed to own .qmail?

the user whose .qmail file it is. So if it's the .qmail file for user
Bob it should be owned by Bob.

> Also, in reading the man
> page it seemed to me that .qmail should have permissions of 644...sound
> right?

right.

Cyril

Barley writes:
 > That's it, what user is supposed to own .qmail? Also, in reading the man
 > page it seemed to me that .qmail should have permissions of 644...sound
 > right?

Qmail *always* does a delivery as a non-root user.  qmail-remote will
exit immediately if you run it as root.  Therefore, anything you want
to do in a .qmail file (including read it) should be from the
perspective of a program running as the user receiving the mail.

That includes ``alias''.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com | A hate crime makes
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | it illegal to think certain
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | thoughts.  The crime is
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | itself already a crime.

hi,

Can anyone tell me how to assign ./Maildir and .qmail files to a new user
account using /etc/skel?

Thanks
Sam.

   You should just be able to run maildirmake in
your /etc/skel directory, and any new users will
get a Mailder automatically.  Assuming, of course
that your useradd (or whatever you use) knows about
/etc/skel.  I do this under RH linux, and it works.

-mike

--

"don't you know about the new fashion, honey?
 all you need are looks and a whole lotta money"

GnuPG key available at http://devel.duluoz.net/pubkey.asc
Key ID = 1024D/9A256AE5 1999-11-13 Mike Glover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Key fingerprint = EF6E 8BCB 4810 E98C F0FD  4596 367A 32B7 9A25 6AE5

Mike Glover wrote:

> Sam-
>
>    You should just be able to run maildirmake in
> your /etc/skel directory, and any new users will
> get a Mailder automatically.  Assuming, of course
> that your useradd (or whatever you use) knows about
> /etc/skel.  I do this under RH linux, and it works.
>
> -mike
>
> On Sat, 07 Oct 2000, sam wun wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how to assign ./Maildir and .qmail files to a new user
> > account using /etc/skel?

SNIP

AFAIK all *NIXs know about /etc/skel, and all you have to do is, as
root:

maildirmake /etc/skel/Maildir

End of story..

GW

hi,
and, of course, you may  create the dot-qmail file in /etc/skel . but be aware of the
correct permissions!

;) a

Alexander Jernejcic
email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

begin LOVE-LETTER-UND-NIX-DAZUGELERNT.txt.vbs
I am a Signature, not a Virus!
end

Hi,

We run qmail as external email hub and feed into Exchange.
Users frequently setup autoforward in Exchange to goto hotmail, but they
often exceed the quota there and
the whole message gets bounced back, thus creating a loop.

The Exchange guys said they can't do anything to limit the looping, can I
setup something in qmail so that if qmail sees a particular user sending out
it adds an X-forward line and will drop any incoming with the X-forward line
silently without passing to Exchange? (I've done this in procmail, but not
in qmail.)

Thanks in advance,
Kai
CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential information intended
only for the use of the addressee named above.  If you are not the intended recipient
of this message you are hereby notified that any use, distribution or reproduction of
this message is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error please notify
Siemens Ltd., ABN 98004347880, or Siemens (NZ) Limited immediately.

Hi
I am trying to install ldap-qmail.Can anybody tell me what this error means
(i have vreated the ldapserver file and ldap is working)

Oct  7 11:44:52 sunmailjol qmail: [ID 748625 mail.alert] 970919092.654456 alert:
 cannot start qmail-lspawn or it had an error! Check if ~control/ldapserver exis
ts.

Suresh

Makes Internet work in Indian languages

mthlogo.gif

  hello friends

   i am using qmail-1.03 along with qmail-ldap patch ,
we are using custom made www front end, to  displays users  mail box ,

we have also set quotas for users in ldap ,
with the help of ,

ldap's "mailquota"  attribute ,

       qmail is taking care of the quota and its also creating
"maildirsize"  file in users Maildir
       now we want then when user log in , user should get some status
information about how much space HE/SHE (user) is using,

  how can i do that ?  is there any script available which will read the
Maildir/maildirsize  file and gives this,

 thanks & regards
Prashant Desai