I notice that your next message is requesting instructions on how to
un-subscribe to the list.  Kind of weird to ask detailed questions
like this and then disappear.  Makes me wonder what motivated you to
ask the questions.  However, just in case you're serious....

> Here's the skinny:
>
> I want maildir.  I want it for my IMAP & Webmail(IMAP frontend) server and
> for general purposes.
>
> I need mailbox for my mail client since there's not maildir support.
>
> I'm wondering if anybody has done any of the following:

> A: Created a nifty program so that when I try to access a mailbox
> file, it's actually interfaced so that I'm accessing my maildir
> B:  Written a converter that I can run on the fly.
> C:  Figured out some other solution to this problem.

I don't know of any solution of that kind.  What you might consider
doing, if you have a user base that you can't take off of that mbox
only client is to create a separate server with sendmail on it, and
forward the mail there for those selected users that want it.

> Also, anybody wanna explain IMAP to me?  I'm confused as hell.  I want to
> have both an IMAP and POP3 server for the same email address.  Now let's say
> I use an IMAP client to move a mail from one folder to another (pray tell,
> what are these "folders" and where are they?  I dunno how to set them up
> initially).  Now when I use POP3, does it theoretically fetch just the stuff
> in the "inbox" folder or all of it?  What pop3 server plays nice with
> courier-IMAP?  Anything that uses maildir?

While running IMAP and pop3 on the same server is ok, it happens all
the time, I wouldn't recommend a user using both types of clients for
the same address interchangeably.  The fundemental difference between
IMAP and POP3 is with IMAP you store your mail on the server, and with
POP3 you download your mail to the local machine.  With IMAP, your
folders are created, and mail moved between the folders with each
message remaining on that server.  With POP3 you are downloading email
from the server to the local machine's hard drive.  The email client
uses it's own system and protocols to create and administer folders.

A POP3 and IMAP server will play nice with each other in the sense
that they will mostly ignore each other.  Since Courier IMAP also uses
some sort of index file for each folder including the INBOX folder,
and POP3 won't update that index file when you download email from it,
there may be problems when a particular user tries to use one and then
the other protocol to read their mail.

You mentioned courier, and courier stores its folders in the
$HOME/Maildir directory.  Each folder has its own sub-directory.  I
don't know how much more detail to go into.  Surely you know what a
folder is?  If you haven't seen any evidence of a folder that you
created using an IMAP client, try using the "-a" switch when using the
"ls" command.  All Courier folders start with a ".".

> Is it possible to set my mail client to access localhost:110 for pop3 and
> have it move the maildir stuff into it's own native mailbox files that way?
>
> The last time I tried that my mail went straight into the void when I tried
> to check it.

Well, that's actually an imaginative idea.  You might want look at
configuring the client so that it's definition or location of INBOX
doesn't interfere with any other program you have running on the
system.  I don't know what else to say on that.  I'm not going to try
it.

> Anybody know of any maildir-supporting console email programs?

Mutt is the most popular.  I've never used it.

> Thanks, Casey

You bet.
   === Al