>From the instructions on how to set up a MySQL table for use with this
patch:
http://www.softagency.co.jp/mysql/qmail2.en.html#3

> crypt :   Crypted password of a user
>                  If you want use plain password,
>                  modify checkpassword.c , qmail-getpw.c and mysql.c

checkpassword.c, qmail-getpw.c, and presumably mysql.c expect the password
to be stored encrypted.  Consequently, when given an attempted password to
verify, they first encrypt the attempted password before comparing it with
the stored password.  If you are storing passwords as clear text, you will
have to disable the code that encrypts the attempted password before
comparison.

I do not use this patch myself, so I am unaware of where exactly to modify
the code.  The "crypt()" function is used to encrypt text; you will need to
search for where that function is used on the attempted password, and modify
that code to not use crypt.

---Kris Kelley