Hello. Does anyone know of a Maildir-aware replacement for /bin/mail, or a
patch that will give it Maildir awareness? I've looked at qail, but that
seems to be a simple shell script that runs maildir2mbox on the user's
Maildir and then runs /bin/mail (and then doesn't put messages back into
Maildir format!). This is an unacceptably clunky solution, and one that
really isn't a total solution anyway, considering the problem.

The problem, really, is that I'd like to allow users to check their mail on
the command line (after ssh-ing in) and/or by POP3. Unfortunately, users
familiar with the command line have a tendency to log in and type "mail" to
see if they have any mail. And a non-Maildir-aware /bin/mail then claims
they have none, ignoring the dozens of files in ~/Maildir/new.

I have looked on the Qmail site for any such thing, and found nothing. Are
there no Maildir patches or replacements for /bin/mail? It seems that such
a common utility *should* have a Maildir-capable version. (I cannot write
it myself, as I have just barely enough knowledge of C to write a 'Hello,
World!" program.)

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Playing dead and sweet submission,
  Cracks the whip deadpan on cue."