[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 27 October 2000 at 15:39:43 -0700
 > >  > Actually, someone brought this up recently, and I didn't have an explanation
 > >  > for them -- why does ezmlm subscribe the envelope sender instead of the
 > >  > address in From: ?
 > >
 > > My understanding is that the underlying belief is that the envelope
 > > sender will be configured invalidly less often.  I don't know if
 >
 > Hmm. Maybe I'm confused. How do people think the envelope sender
 > value is determined in the first instant? Eg, how does Eudora go from
 > a mail in a window to "Mail From: " in SMTP? Or how does qmail-inject
 > for that matter?

Most of us think, if we don't pause to reflect, that the envelope
sender is applied by sendmail or qmail-inject when the mail is
submitted.  This weird thing where people read mail on their PCs is
foreign to me, and I tend to overlook it.  And in that sort of
environment, envelope sender really *is* less likely to be wrong.  But
it's such a small minority these days it hardly matters, in the real
world.

Also, there are a number of institutions and ISPs that insist on their
users relaying through their servers, and they make sure the envelope
sender is valid.  This may still be a significant population.

But generally I agree, it would be *much* better to use the from:
header.  I've thought about going in to patch it some time, but it
hasn't made it up the priority list.
--
David Dyer-Bennet / Welcome to the future! / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Photos: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/