Mmmmr....

The extra dot in the rc file was a typing error, but I have changed the
layout to your suggestion.

I did echo to: howard >/var/qmail/qmail-inject   again

The log file for this looks like...

@400000003a014cd1031b95ec status: local 0/10 remote 0/20
@400000003a014d5616ba61dc starting delivery 1: msg 828300 to local
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
rketingms.com
@400000003a014d5616bca3fc status: local 1/10 remote 0/20
@400000003a014d561c0681d4 delivery 1: deferral:
dot-forward:_fatal:_unable_to_re
ad_./Maildir/:_is_a_directory/
@400000003a014d561c088d44 status: local 0/10 remote 0/20

It strikes me that dot-forward is complaining that Maildir is a directory,
which is odd as it should be!

What is dot-forward? If it is something to do with local delivery is it
perhaps ignorant of Maildir directories? Should I have a different setup here?

The only explanation I can find is that it enables support for Sendmail
.forward files. Which is fine, but I have no clue what a sendmail .forward
file is. I am new to Unix MTAs completely.

Getting very miserable... can anybody please help!?!?!

Thanks... Howard

PS. If I run mail user@domain, to send to our other mail server (which
worked yesterdat), I now get a message

         sendmail: fatal: unable to run qmail-inject

so things seem to be getting worse not better!