"Tony Ennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>My /var/qmail/users/assign file looks like this:
>
>+gv-:fred:1000:1003:/usr/local/squid/bin:-:gv:
>.
>
>Note that the 'gv-' line is a wildcard - I understand this to mean that any
>email received for any address that begins with 'gv-' will be processed by
>this configuration line. I ran qmail-newu to make it active.  The problem is
>that I am executing the .qmail-default config file in squid, not the
>.qmail-gv file.  I have read the documentation but it is a little too sparse
>for me.  Can anyone explain how the last two arguments in an 'assign' line
>work for wildcards?

>From http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#qmail-users:

  +prefix:user:uid:gid:directory:dash:prepend:

  What this means is that messages received for addresses of the form
  prefixrest will run as user user, with the specified uid and gid,
  and the file directory/.qmaildashprependrest will specify how the
  messages are to be delivered.

So, using your example, mail to gv-foo will be handled by
/usr/local/squid/bin/.qmail-gvfoo.

-Dave