On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 07:53:31PM -0500, Adam McKenna wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 19, 2000 at 04:40:01PM -0800, David Benfell wrote:
> > Ooo...  I can't rule this out at all, mainly because I don't know
> > enough.
> >
> > I built glibc 2.2 from source.
>
> Uh, bad idea.

Eek!

>  Is there any reason you can't get a 2.2 SuSE RPM?

Hmmm...  They have an update to shlibs, which I think includes glibc.
They also have a few other updates that look relevant.  In particular,
they have nssv1.

So I installed all these, but glibc is still 2.1.3.

>Is there
> any reason you particularly need 2.2?

I tend to go with latest versions.  In stark contrast to the Debian
approach, I find latest versions less troublesome.

> > It looks like SuSE 7.0 comes with
> > 2.1.3 (judging from rpm -qa | grep libc).
>
> The libresolv's you listed before were 2.1.92 if I remember correctly.  That
> means you have libc6 2.1.92 installed somewhere as well.  Until you get this
> mess straightened out, you're probably not going to be able to compile much
> of anything.

That was Jose's machine.  But as a test, I tried building sh-utils.
As you predicted, this blew up.  So I blew away the contents of
/usr/local/lib/ and re-ran ldconfig.  Now sh-utils builds, but not
qmail.

Next I grabbed mutt and built it with the option to use a Maildir in
the user's home directory as the mail spool.  This built successfully,
but I will wait to install it until qmail is running.

So I think I have a build environment.  Is there any way I should test
this further?

Thanks!
--
David Benfell