It doesn't matter if IMAP is running.  When backing up the dir's
the backup software simply reads the files and makes a copy to
tape.  The only problem you will run into is that the backup is a
snapshot and will not reflect any changes made after.  Any mails
added or deleted after the backup will not be reflected.  Since
Maildir format is a directory with all the e-mails as files within
that directory you won't have problems.  If you were using mbox
format you'd have a problem because it is a single file.  You would
then have to shut down the MTA/MUA so the file doesn't get locked
while trying to back it up.

I've used BRU and it works great.  Since you are using Maildir's you
don't need to shut down IMAP.  The only mails that won't get backed
up are the ones being accessed at that time.  qmail works on a per file
basis and doesn't lock the entire directory.

VXA drives can handle that kind of volume.  I use them and they are great.
They even have an autoloader so you can do several weeks worth of backups
without changing a tape.

At 09:00 AM 11/22/2000 +1100, you wrote:
>Oliver
>
>Sure, but will a running qmail complain if the dir's are being accessed
>while the backup is taking place ?
>
>Also, I'd like the backup to be automated for tape aka BRU, company policy.
>
>And i'm talking about 20 to 50 gigs of email.
>
>Suggestions ?
>
>Cheers
>Dennis

-

Kourosh Ghassemieh
MindWare Information Systems & Technologies
9255 Sunset Blvd, Penthouse
West Hollywood CA 90069
(310) 729-1784, (310) 271-9807 fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

++++++Networking the Small Business++++++