Hi,

Since I never got a response from my previous post, I assume my question was
lame or lacked detail.  I'll try again...

Is there anyway I can configure vchkpw to handle APOP for /etc/passwd users?
I know there are other means for handling this (patches to checkpassword,
checkpw, etc.) but I like the logging features of vchkpw and the fact if
configured, will maintain the relay cdb.   I do NOT (at least at this time)
wish to use vpopmail other than to maintain the relay cdb and for
authentication.  From investigation it appears virtual apop users' passwords
are stored in clear text in order to match md5 hashed copies sent across the
wire.   Qualcomm's qpopper supports the use of APOP with /etc/shadow--  can
vchkpw offer the same?  Just curious, anyone know how qpopper utilizes
/etc/shadow with APOP?  I ask only because from searching the qmail archives
it appears passwords need be stored in clear text on the server.

The qmail site offers numerous alternatives, but if vchkpw can use
/etc/shadow with APOP authentications, then I won't have to change the auth
mechanism.

A response of any sort would be appreciated.

many thanks,

--James