> we have lately gotten tons of mails from external senders with weird To:

> so i now want to *stop* qmail from automatically expanding
> "To: whatever" into "To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]"

This has nothing to do with the To: header. Somehow you get the mail
through SMTP (external senders?) - Then only the envelope receiver is
used.

About qmail-smtpd:
            Envelope recipient  addresses  without  @  signs  are
            always allowed through.

To avoid this you would have to patch qmail-smtpd.

I doubt that the sender is really external - you wouldn't get the mail
through SMTP because of missing MX records. I think there is a wild
running script or a buggy SMTP client inside your network.

Regards, Frank