On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 01:33:54PM +0100, Hans-Juergen Schwarz wrote:
>Iīm running qmail 1.03 and vpopmail 4.9.4 with the
>--enable-roaming-users feature and smtp-auth. Now I have found a ssl
>patch under http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~vermeule/qmail/tls.patch

I had tried this patch back in August and found that once applied and I
installed the new software, I could no longer send mail to any hosts
that had the STARTTLS extension.  No diagnostics, qmail-remote would
just hang.  I don't recall if it hung forever, or eventually timed
out and generated some "connection timed out" response.

>Does it work together with my configuration? Cause many Clients
>donīt work with ssl and I need every possibility to control relaying

It uses STARTTLS, which means that the normal connections are the
standard SMTP, when the server says it supports "STARTTLS", the client
has to respond with "STARTTLS" for it to being doing the SSL stuff.
So, it should work with all clients (only clients requesting it will
get it).

>I got many virtuell Users, does everybody need a cert or just the key
>from the communicating Server?

It's only a cert for the servers.

>How do I apply the patch to the conf Files? per typing?

You use the "patch" command.  Spefically, you need to be in the
top qmail source directory and run "patch -p1 -s <patchfilename".

>Is there anywhere a site to find more information about this, cause
>I think I donīt really understand how it works.

Well, there's the STARTTLS RFC2487, available from www.faqs.org...
Probably more than you wanted to know though.  ;-)

Sean
--
 Why are Bush supporters acting like they won, when Gore has 350,000 more
 popular votes?