* Andrew Buenaventura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [001130 22:59]:
> I am going to setup a dedicated linux box that will run qmail only.  What is
> the most minimum package that I need to install from Red Hat 7.0 to be able
> to run Qmail? I do not want unnecessary services/daemons running on that
> box.  I will also be installing the web based email package that runs on
> qmail.

We don't worry so much about what is installed as what is being actively
run. Do your install, ``chkconfig --del'' *all* network services (including
inetd), install SSH for maintenance, install qmail. At that point, your
machine is only listening on ports 22 and 25. Oh, and don't allow any shell
users; avoid /etc/passwd entries if possible (use virtual domains and users
for qmail).

Above all, go check out <http://www.linuxdoc.org/> and read about other
security measures. Read about Trinity-OS (search Google for ``trinity''?).

Good luck!

/pg
--
Peter Green : Gospel Communications Network, SysAdmin : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
---
>Ever heard of .cshrc?
That's a city in Bosnia.  Right?
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of commands.)