On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Greg Larkin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am writing a Perl script that will remove the Disposition-Notification-To
> header from incoming email messages so the annoying return receipt alerts
> will be removed from email clients here.
>
> I have a ~alias/.qmail-default set up like this:
>
> |/var/qmail/bin/strip_return_receipt
> |/var/qmail/bin/fastforward -d /etc/aliases.cdb

qmail handles each line in a .qmail file as a complete delivery
instruction. EG if you .qmail file looks like this

    | cmd1
    | cmd2
    &addr1
    ./mbox1

qmail will process it as follows

    pipe the original message through cmd1
    pipe the original message through cmd2
    forward the original message to user addr1
    save the original message in mbox format in the file ./mbox1

Note the use of the word original. IE every delivery instruction gets
a copy of the ORIGINAL message to play with. if you want to massage
the message and then do something based on the modified message,
you'll need to do the following

    | massge_command | delivery_instruction

So, your .qmail file would need to look like this:

| /var/qmail/bin/strip_return_receipt | /var/qmail/bin/fastforward -d /etc/aliases.cdb

You'll need to make sure that strip_return_receipt provides the
modified message on STDOUT so that fastforward can see the modified
message as its input.

--
Regards
Peter

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"