On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 02:13:12PM -0600, Chris Olson wrote:

> where qmail is supposed to do it's logging.  However, after some
> searching, I find /var/log/mail/mail.info, and this mail.info file
> appears to accumulate and log all the activities of the server including
> startup time, SMTP connections from remote hosts, POP connections, etc.
> I don't think this is the way the logging is supposed to work, after
> studying the qmail documentation.

Find out how qmail is started up, (e.g. in /etc/init.d/qmail) This'll
tell you how qmail-send and qmail-smtpd get rid of their logging.
(I expect syslog is used, check out /etc/syslog.conf to see if you're
happy with it's settings.)

> Is it possible I have a 'bastard' installation of qmail?  By that I mean

I believe Philip Hands's qmail-src package uses syslog. This is not
the lwq-way to install qmail. His package does generate a fhs compliant
install, otoh.

Bye,

Joost

--