Title: RE: anybody out there at this time ??? confused about checkpassword and pop3

Trying logging in with username '[EMAIL PROTECTED] 'instead of just 'test'.  The same will fix

the problem for user 'x' (i.e. change it to '[EMAIL PROTECTED]').

Otherwise it will be looking for 'global' system accounts, not specific to a domain.

The other way to set this up, is to have the IP address that you are logging in to (on port 25) reverse lookup to the domain 'test.com'.  See the Q-Mail documentation for more information on that.

Regards,

Charles Warwick

>Hi,

>I hope there is somebody out there so late on Saturday evening. I just want

>to warn you that this is my first Qmail installation and I am quite new to

>the Linux world. I was able to install checkpassword -0.81 and when I am

>testing it, I get these results.

>[root@test users]# telnet localhost 110

>Trying 127.0.0.1...

>Connected to localhost.localdomain.

>Escape character is '^]'.

>+OK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>user test

>+OK

>pass test

>-ERR authorization failed

>Connection closed by foreign host.

>[root@test users]# /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup test.com /bin/checkpassword pwd

>+OK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>user test

>+OK

>pass test

>-ERR authorization failed

>***************************** user test is a pop user in the assign file

>and has an encrypted password test in the poppasswd file, has a dir in

>popboxes/test-com/test/Maildir/ where he is successfully receiving his mail.

>*****************************

>[root@test users]# /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup test.com /bin/checkpassword pwd

>+OK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>user x

>+OK

>pass password

>/home/x

>***************************** on the other hand user x is a systems account

>and also has an entry in the assign file and poppasswd file. user x is also

>receiving mail in the popboxes/test-com/x/Maildir, but the pop logon brings

>him to home/x directory where I also created (Maildir -just to troubleshoot

>- I know it does not suppose to be there) but the pop login gets me there,

>while the other users fails to make a pop login due to the password problem.

>So both users have a little bit different problems, but the bottom line is

>that I can not retrieve the e-mails.

>I hope somebody can tell me what variable or ???? I messed up. I believe I

>am pretty close.

>Thank you for your assistance

>Peter

Please Note:
The information contained in this email is confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the information in this email in any way.  If you have received this email in error, kindly notify the sender.  The sender does not guarantee the integrity of this email or any attached files.