Hi,

I am having some trouble setting up Krzysztof Dabrowski's SMTP-AUTH
patch with qmail.
I applied the smtp-auth patch and it run through without errors.
I compiled qmail out of the ports collection af FreeBSD 4.2 and
according to LWQ.
qmail itsself seems to run o.k. (I tested it with telnet from local and
remote).
I also installed cmd5checkpw.
the mailserver (mail.mydomain.com) is correctly resolved on the server
and on the client.
My /etc/poppasswd looks like this:

------------------
user1:password
------------------

my /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run looks like this:

------------------
#!/bin/sh
QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
    /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -p -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb \
        -u $QMAILDUID -g $NOFILESGID 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd \

 /bin/checkpassword /bin/true /bin/cmd5checkpw /bin/true
------------------

I configured Netscape Communicater (4.75) on my remote machine like
this:

------------------
outgoing Mailserver: mail.mydomain.com
outgoing username:   user1
Use SSL:   never
------------------

If I try to send a Mail this way via my mailserver I am presented wit an
Netscape-auth-window in both cases, for recipients in the local domain
and for those in a foreign domain.
If I enter "password" when I am asked for the password for
[EMAIL PROTECTED] the password is not accepted and I am asked
again and again.

any ideas?
is there any information on qmail & smtp-auth available besides the
short description on the HP of the above patch?

thanks in advance for any hints

/Clemens