Thanks for your prompt reply.
The commands i put into the inittab file are the ones given in the
documentation:

SV:123456:respawn:env - PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin
svscan /service </dev/null >/dev/console 2>/dev/console

since svscan is located /usr/local/bin, it is clearly in the path.
Besides, the message is talking about respawning too fast... it is still
doing it at this time as well. Any other information you can give is
greatly appreciated!