:
: You didn't even say what you were running from tcpserver.  However, since it
: looks like qmail-smtpd, this is probably a broken MTA connecting to you and
: sending bare linefeeds.  This is in all the FAQs, and in the mailing list
: archives.  Search for "bare lf".
:

Well, since I showed it connecting to port 25 I didn't think it mattered what
was running to receive the port 25 connections since it looked like tcpserver
was the one rejecting the connection.

Hmm, thanks for the info on bare linefeeds.  Interesting.  I didn't see that
in the FAQ I have but I was actually looking for the 256 error code so I might
have missed it.  That's good to know since I was thinking I had broken something
that was causing this machine to be unable to connect.

--
  Matthew Harrell                          If at first you don't succeed,
  Bit Twiddlers, Inc.                       try management.