On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Daniel Conlon wrote:

> > > I have had qmail installed on a machine with < 100 users for 6
> > months and all aspects of the installation are working correctly.
> > However, it has recently been brought to my attention that the
> > hard disk activity on the machine is excessive/abnormal - the
> > disk is flat out.
> > >
> > > By systematically stopping processes I have established that it
> > is qmail which is causing this. qmail is not under any load to speak of.
> > >
> > > Is this normal for qmail? If not, what could be causing this?
> >
> > Is it qmail-send or qmail-smtpd that is causing it?

Please reply to the list too. That way you'll get more eyes looking at
your problem.

Also please wrap your lines to < 80 characters. It makes it easier to
read.

> I think it is qmail-smtpd. I say this only because 'supervise qmail-smtpd' is being
>quite heavy on CPU usage (18%). How would I find out for sure?

Looks like supervise is failing to start tcpserver correctly and
looping. What does /service/qmail-smtpd/run (or wherever you put it)
look like? Are you logging with multilog? If so what's the output of
the current file in the directory as specified by
/service/qmail-smtpd/log/run?

You aren't trying to suerpvise qmail-smtpd directly are you? If so
then that will fail. You need some process in front of qmail-smtpd to
handle the network connections - such as tcpserver.

> > What do the logs say? (tm)
> Which logs? and where would I find them?
>
> > What's the output of /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qstat run several times to
> > see if the queue is growing rapidly?
>
> I ran this ten times in succession and got the same output each time as follows:
>
> messages in queue: 9
> messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 0

Nothing new is being added to the queue - or qmail-send is processing
messages EXACTLY as fast as qmail-queue is putting them in the queue
(unlikely).

--
Regards
Peter

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"