qmail Digest 27 Dec 2000 11:00:00 -0000 Issue 1226

Topics (messages 54403 through 54419):

Re: message queueing
        54403 by: Jenny Holmberg

Re: how to control smtp through mail address
        54404 by: Alexander Jernejcic
        54407 by: Chris Johnson

Re: how to control smtp through mail address (addendum)
        54405 by: Alexander Jernejcic

about smtp.rules
        54406 by: jackshaw.263.net.cn
        54419 by: Michael Maier

qmail-pop3d and users groups
        54408 by: Roberto Samarone Araujo \(RSA\)

authenticate via nt domain ?
        54409 by: Dennis

Xinetd & Qmail
        54410 by: Jeff Lacy
        54417 by: Paco Gracia

checkpassword question
        54411 by: Rick Lu

Limited SMTP Relay
        54412 by: Aaron Carr
        54414 by: asantos

about quota
        54413 by: carl

Other Outlook features and qmail
        54415 by: Dennis
        54416 by: Dennis

What does "return address is refused" mean?
        54418 by: Dai Yuwen

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

kat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hello,
> I am a total newbie to mail servers and don't know much about them. I
> have installed qmail on my home machine. My problem is that if I try
> to deliver a message to another user and it fails on any account the
> next time i start qmail with ./rc & it tries to deliver the messages
> even when i have precedded it with '&'. i use Red Hat Linux 6.2
> why does it happen?

When you start qmail, it will try to deliver the mails in the mail
queue. That's just how it works. You can manually delete the mails
from the queue if you like - check for qmHandle at www.qmail.org.

> Also, for a particular user it says that the message is
> undeliverable since the mail directory of the user is writable.

This is a security feature. If the users mail (or home) directory is
writable for anyone other than the user, it is trivially easy for
anyone to intercept, rewrite and reroute the users' mail. Thus, qmail
will not deliver the mail.

> Also, can u tell me which email clients can I use under shell mode
> only. [I heard Pine cannot be used].

Do you mean mail clients which will read directly from the maildir
instead of using IMAP? If so, mutt has native maildir support and
there are patches for pine on www.qmail.org as well.

> Can anyone give me any comments on this.
> Thanks and I hope it is OK for a newbie question.

Hope this helps.

--
"I live in the heart of the machine. We are one."

From: Aaron Carr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>This file contains 192.168.1.0:allow,RELAYCLIENT=" "

The IP part isn't a netmask, it's a pattern. Try replacing the line above
with

192.168.1.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""

Armando

how to implement quota with qmail+vpopmail+sqwebmail?

Hi all...

I'm looking to implement the calendar, tasks, notes etc features available
in Outlook with qmail and courier-imap

Does anyone know of any product that allows for the complete integration of
Outlook and qmail/courier-imap without having to use MS Exchange
*shudder*...

Cheers
Dennis

Have you seen http://www.eridu.org/
Wondering how hard it would be to intergrate the sqwebmail project and the
eridu project.
It would be a great idea

?

Hi, all

Sometimes my mail will be bounced with the subject "return address is
refused".  What does that mean?  I'm using qmail-1.03.

Thank you in advance.

Dai Yuwen