qmail Digest 28 Dec 2000 11:00:01 -0000 Issue 1227

Topics (messages 54420 through 54447):

Re: Limited SMTP Relay
        54420 by: Chris Johnson
        54439 by: asantos

qmail news && RDF
        54421 by: Russell Nelson

"warning: unable to unlink local/9/3601004; will try again later" mystery solved
        54422 by: Bradley C. Kuszmaul

Re: Logging Messages - qmail newbie
        54423 by: Markus Stumpf

Re: concurrency always > 0
        54424 by: Markus Stumpf

Re: help me
        54425 by: Markus Stumpf

Re: qmail-pop3d and users groups
        54426 by: Markus Stumpf

Re: checkpassword question
        54427 by: Markus Stumpf
        54440 by: Rick Lu

Looking for a detailed qmail log analyzer .. preferably something pretty for the CEO.
        54428 by: Steve Fulton

Xinetd & Qmail & New Problem!
        54429 by: Jeff Lacy

Re: Other Outlook features and qmail
        54430 by: Boz Crowther
        54431 by: Luca Pescatore

RBLSMTPD
        54432 by: drew.ricshaw.com.au
        54447 by: Piotr Kasztelowicz

"Backup" Qmail Server
        54433 by: Michael Hornby
        54434 by: Mike Jackson
        54435 by: Henning Brauer
        54436 by: Dennis
        54437 by: Henning Brauer
        54442 by: richard.illuin.org

rblsmtpd - notification
        54438 by: drew.ricshaw.com.au

Re: Attachment-based relaying
        54441 by: David L. Nicol

not sure what the subject should be
        54443 by: Timothy Falardeau
        54445 by: Andrew Hill

alias system
        54444 by: drew.ricshaw.com.au
        54446 by: Mark Delany

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 10:10:31PM -0500, Aaron Carr wrote:
> This file contains 192.168.1.0:allow,RELAYCLIENT=" "

That should be RELAYCLIENT="", not RELAYCLIENT=" " (you shouldn't have a space
between the quotation marks). Also, as someone else pointed out, the IP address
should be a pattern, not a netmask (i.e. 192.168.1. instead of 192.168.1.0).

Chris

From: Chris Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>That should be RELAYCLIENT="", not RELAYCLIENT=" " (you shouldn't have a
space
>between the quotation marks). Also, as someone else pointed out, the IP
address
>should be a pattern, not a netmask (i.e. 192.168.1. instead of
192.168.1.0).

I think that the contents of RELAYCLIENT will simply be appended to the
incoming recipient address. Possibly harmless, therefore.

Armando

If you have the ability to do so, please test my qmail news RDF Site
Summary (RSS) file.  The URL is http://qmail.org/news.rdf .  I haven't
announced it anywhere except this message right now, so for example
it's not available at Slashdot as a news box.  Once I get some
feedback I'll start submitting it (that should be taken as a broad
hint.  Very broad.)

More information on RSS is at http://my.netscape.com/publish/help/quickstart.html
More information on RDF is at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com | A steak, bacon
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | and cheese sandwich is

There is a lot of email in the archives of this list complaining about
things such as
  warning: unable to unlink local/9/3601004; will try again later

I saw this too, (running with the rpms made by Bruce Guenter E<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

I investigated what was going on.  The key is to look at errno when
the unlink fails.  (By the way, I suggest that the when printing the
warning about the unlink failing, the error code ought to be printed
out too.)

The unlink returned error code 5 (I/O error) sometimes, but not
always.

By taking out the syncdir patch, the problem goes away.

I mounted the ext2fs filesystem "sync" (it turns out the only thing on
that disk is my qmail queue and my alias maildirs, so it is an
excellent candidate for being mounted "sync".)

Now the system works much better, with none of those "unable to
unlink" messages in the logs.

A related problem:  The "try again later" is 123 seconds later:
   pe.dt = now() + SLEEP_SYSFAIL;
This can cause problem if more than a few hundred messages get into
this state (especially when using syslogd).  The problem is that qmail
spends all its time looking at these messages.  Much better would be
if the retry were scheduled with a quadratic backoff strategy to avoid
swamping qmail with these bad messages.

-Bradley

On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 09:27:52PM +0000, Anonymous user wrote:
> Has anybody got a more elegant way of doing this?

What would you consider "elegant" ?

> Thinking this I tried to construct a Maildir for my messages by putting
> ./MaildirLog/ in .qmail-log and creating a maildir in the alias directory -
> it didn't work (I got can chdir to directory messages in the log). I am now
> wondering though if I should have created the Maildir owned by a particular
> user - any info?

The whole direcvtory and any subdir has to be owned by user "alias".
(That's the user under who's permissions the mail gets delivered).

> One more thing. Can I put the |script type construct in the .qmail-log file
> to process the messages myself? If so, I am not sure how it works. Does
> this mean that the routine you specify will get the whole message on STDIN?
> Does the system expect any output or can you do anything you like with the
> message in the script?

Yes, the script gets the whole message on stdin.
It doesn't have to outout anything, you can however control further
delivery by exit codes.
See the  qmail-command  man page for more information.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG               |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Stress is when you wake
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | up screaming and you

On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 05:37:33PM +0100, J.M. Roth wrote:
> I have those mrtg scripts which visualize qmail status
> A few weeks ago remote concurrency became 1 and that is its minimum value
> ever since, I wonder why. Before that it was always 0, unless sth.
> happenend...

Take a look at the output of
    qmail-qread
How many outgoing messages are there? How old are those?

Do a
   ps auxw | grep qmail-remote
Do you see any "hanging" deliveries (running a few days or sth like
that)

I don't use mrtg, just guessing.

        \Maex

--

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 04:27:08PM +0800, wheatly wrote:
> out mail system is based on Freebsd+mysql+qmail and now local to remote ro remote to
>local is ok,but
> local to local doesn't work. what is the reason ,who can help me?

What do the logs say?
How are those local to local messages injected?
Do you get any errors? What do they say?

        \Maex

--

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 10:19:18PM -0300, Roberto Samarone Araujo (RSA) wrote:
>             I have a qmail server running in a FreeBSD 4.2 and using
> qmail-pop3d. I would like to know if I could set up qmail-pop3d to work only
> for users in some groups in /etc/group file. Is it possible to do this? How

This can be accomplished by using a modified checkpassword program.
It would take user and password and could check the user against /etc/group
and if the user isn't in one of the groups deny the access.

You can either modify the checkpassword by DJB or pick one at
http://www.qmail.org/ and modify one of those (there are some perl
version also).

        \Maex

--

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 10:24:55AM +0800, Rick Lu wrote:
> I am a newbie to this list. Now, I want to authenticate SMTP and POP3
> and SMTPD and POP3D do well in the "qmaild" user which I set its uid to root id (0).
> But do I have to let "qmaild" become super-user? Have any other way to do this ,
>because
> "qmaild" super-user is not good enough to me.

1) it's a really bad idea to set the uid of qmaild to zero.
   this will have no effect, until you completely recompile the qmail
   package.
2) what exactly is your problem?

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG               |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Stress is when you wake
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | up screaming and you
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 |  Tel: +49 (89) 32356-0    | realize you haven't
D-80807 Muenchen          |  Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299  | fallen asleep yet.

Hello,

Thanks Maex.

as we all know, there are two super-user functions in checkpassword package: setuid &
setgid.

because qmaild is only a normal user in nofiles group, so he has no privilege to call
these codes. it will show "-ERR authorization failed".

My question is that how qmaild user can  use checkpassword and I do not have to set
the uid of this user to zero.

>1) it's a really bad idea to set the uid of qmaild to zero.
>   this will have no effect, until you completely recompile the qmail
>   package.
>2) what exactly is your problem?
>
>       \Maex

            Xin Lu
            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I've been looking at some of the log file analzyers available, and I haven't
yet found one that meets our needs without some additional programming - and
I am lousy @ programming - so I've decided to throw the dice & ask you all,
the venerable members of the qmail list.

Basically, I am looking for an analyzer that can give me general statistics
(daily, weekly, monthly), domain specific stats (d/w/m etc, how much mail
sent out, sent in etc) and *user* specific stats - so I can catch spammers
and other such wankers.  I've looked at qlogtools, isoQlog etc, but they do
not seem to go far enough.  On top of that, I need something that would look
pretty when I show the CEO of the company -- we all know how CEO's like
pretty graphs.  Something like the isoQlog program, with a touch of mrtg
thrown in (yes, I know about the qmail-mrtg scripts - but they don't go far
enough either).

So, can anyone suggest anything?

    Steve.

Okay.  Thanks everyone who helped me.  Qmail accepts mail and things seem to
be mostly better. Now I only have problem and I would very very grateful if
anyone could help me with it.

After qmail accepts a message from me, I assume it does it thing.  Then I go
to my mail program (outlook express) and say for check new mail.  It asks
for new mail, via pop3, and it comes back with nothing at all.  I don't know
how to find the all the messages I send.  Qmail is hiding/destroying my
mail!  Could someone please tell me where to look and/or how to fix the
problem?

.qmail-root and .qmail-postmaster both are:
    jeff
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

~jeff/.qmail is:
    ./Maildir/

~jeff/Maildir/ is owned by jeff and is a mail dir so it should work.

Doing an 'echo to:jeff | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject' doesn't show up
anywhere.  Email to root get lost too.

Could someone please help me?  Thanks everyone :-D

Jeff