On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 11:10:37AM +1100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> question is: Is there anyway of notifying the person who sent the
> mail to you through the open relay, with a generic message that
> they were blocked. Say "Your message could not be processed by
> our server." If anyone could help with this it would be much
> appreciated.

rblsmtpd either rejects the message permanently (5xx code) or temporarily
(4xx code). Depending on the option you start rblsmtpd with and assuming
a correctly working smtpd on the sending side, the user will either
get a immediate failure notice on a 5xx code or a delayed one as soon as
the retry interval (typically around a week) of the sending smtpd has expired.
See
    <URL:http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/rblsmtpd.html>
and especially the section on "Temporary errors" and the "-b -B" switches
for more information.

Note: a 4xx code is more "social" but may trigger bugs in some smtpds
  (e.g. Microsoft SMTP) causing them to hammer on your smtpd with retries.
  See: <URL:http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q224/9/83.ASP>

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG               |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Stress is when you wake
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | up screaming and you