Hello,

I am getting ready to set up a backup QMail server, which will serve as the MX 20 host for some of my domains.  I have the main mail server all set up with QMail and VPOPMail, and it is working flawlessly.  I have done research on this topic and understand that what I will need to do when I get the backup MX host up and running is to add the domains to the "rcpthosts" file, and not in the "locals" or "virtualdomains" files.

I do not anticipate the main mail server going down, but I figure it is always good to have a "Plan B" whenever possible.

Here is where my question comes in:

Once I add a new domain into the rcpthosts file, do I need to kill qmail and restart it (as in with /etc/rc.d/qmail restart), or will QMail automatically begin to receive messages and place them in the mail queue, without being restarted?

To restart or not to restart, that is the question!

Thank you for any help you can provide me with.

-Ken

Ken Jansons
COLINUX.NET