qmail Digest 6 Jan 2001 11:00:01 -0000 Issue 1236

Topics (messages 54742 through 54790):

Mail-Proxy
        54742 by: Redak, Dorian
        54744 by: James Raftery
        54745 by: Henning Brauer
        54746 by: James Raftery
        54748 by: Marc Knoop
        54749 by: James Raftery
        54764 by: Ould
        54765 by: Henning Brauer
        54769 by: Marc Knoop
        54780 by: Ould

Re: Migration of Mailboxes and accounts
        54743 by: Marcio Sa

Re: qmail-inject
        54747 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: How using IMAP with qmail??
        54750 by: Dave Sill
        54756 by: Mark Delany
        54759 by: Ould
        54762 by: Ould
        54771 by: Dave Sill
        54782 by: Ould
        54788 by: Alexander Jernejcic

Re: about qmail
        54751 by: harindra patel

Re: Stress Test
        54752 by: Russell Nelson
        54753 by: IT Andrew Bold

Re: qmail - ms sql server
        54754 by: Russell Nelson

Re: thoughts for future qmail
        54755 by: Mark Delany
        54758 by: Aaron L. Meehan
        54766 by: Tim Hunter

qmailqueue-patch
        54757 by: Flavio Alberto
        54763 by: Charles Cazabon

Netscape Messaging Server -> qmail advice
        54760 by: Steve Fulton
        54770 by: Andre Oppermann

Suggestion regarding qmtp patch to qmail-remote.c
        54761 by: Mark Delany

Re: [o/t] email client recommendations?
        54767 by: Paul Jarc
        54772 by: Charles Cazabon
        54779 by: Marc Knoop

Re: How sending messages from web site
        54768 by: ouldm.linux-at-business.com
        54774 by: Mike Jackson

Re: "Backup" Qmail Server
        54773 by: David L. Nicol
        54775 by: Mark Delany

Problem checking mail
        54776 by: Irwan Hadi
        54778 by: Mark Delany

qmail-pop3d - problem logging in
        54777 by: Boz Crowther
        54784 by: Andrew Buenaventura
        54786 by: ksemat

qmail pop3d
        54781 by: Kari Suomela
        54783 by: Andrew Buenaventura

spam filter
        54785 by: Brian Longwe

Re: Qmail very slow???
        54787 by: Alexander Jernejcic

Qmail with FreeBSD very very slow!
        54789 by: marchart.schotten.at
        54790 by: sam wun

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear All!

I'm planning to use a linux a box as what I would call mail proxy. It should
receive mail for our domain (caibon.com) from the internet and forward it to
our MS Exchange Server, which is located behind the firewall due to security
reasons.
It should also receive mail from the intranet and forward it to the
internet. I think I already found out to fix this second part, but I'm still
having problems with the first.

cheers Dorian

Dorian Redak
Manager IT Operations
caibon.com

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 12:03:36PM +0100, Redak, Dorian wrote:
> It should also receive mail from the intranet and forward it to the
> internet. I think I already found out to fix this second part, but I'm still
> having problems with the first.

Hi Dorian,

On the linux box, put the domains it should act as a relay for into
control/rcpthosts (and nowhere else!).
Put
:exchangeserver.yourdomain.com
into control/smtproutes.

man qmail-remote for info. on smtproutes.

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "Managing 4000 customer domains with BIND has been a lot like

Am Freitag,  5. Januar 2001 12:03 schrieb Redak, Dorian:
> Dear All!
>
> I'm planning to use a linux a box as what I would call mail proxy. It
> should receive mail for our domain (caibon.com) from the internet and
> forward it to our MS Exchange Server, which is located behind the firewall
> due to security reasons.
> It should also receive mail from the intranet and forward it to the
> internet. I think I already found out to fix this second part, but I'm
> still having problems with the first.

Nothing easier than that:

echo caibon.com >> /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
echo caibon.com:exchangeserverhostname >> /var/qmail/control/smtproutes

Note: do NOT put caibon.com in locals.

--

Henning Brauer         |  BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS        |  Roedingsmarkt 14

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 11:09:27AM +0000, James Raftery wrote:
> Put
> :exchangeserver.yourdomain.com
> into control/smtproutes.

Thinko Alert!
That should be
yourdomain.com:exchangeserver.yourdomain.com
in control/smtproutes.

james
--

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 12:13:06PM +0100, Henning Brauer wrote:

> Nothing easier than that:
>
> echo caibon.com >> /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
> echo caibon.com:exchangeserverhostname >> /var/qmail/control/smtproutes

And what is the format for using an IP address instead of the name of the exchange
server?  caibon.com:[1.2.3.4]?

The reason I ask is that my EX server will be in the trusted side (three legged
firewall) and will be using an IP address that will not be in the DNS.

../mk

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 09:58:32AM -0500, Marc Knoop wrote:
> And what is the format for using an IP address instead of the name of
> the exchange server?  caibon.com:[1.2.3.4]?

Yep.

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "Managing 4000 customer domains with BIND has been a lot like
   herding cats." - Mike Batchelor, on [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please I'm also intersted to your answer.

1) Is possible under the configuration mentionned, if my
web site is installed on "mail proxy", and I want to use
webmail (like IMP/Horde) to sent or get your messages using
web site from anywhere. My Maildir is on mailexchanger in
the Lan. You want to use IMAP and not POP3 for that
purpose. I configurate My firewall to accept smtp, pop3,
imap between the two machines.

> > I'm planning to use a linux a box as what I would call
> mail proxy. It
> > should receive mail for our domain (caibon.com) from
> the internet and
> > forward it to our MS Exchange Server, which is located
> behind the firewall
> > due to security reasons.
> > It should also receive mail from the intranet and
> forward it to the
> > internet. I think I already found out to fix this
> second part, but I'm
> > still having problems with the first.
>
> Nothing easier than that:
>
> echo caibon.com >> /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
> echo caibon.com:exchangeserverhostname >>
> /var/qmail/control/smtproutes
>
> Note: do NOT put caibon.com in locals.

Can You give an example of the content of each control file
and for each machine?

I think that there is a big luck of an explicite DOC with
EXAMPLES of what each control file of the two machine must
be.
I beginning to write a detailled DOC on this subject that I
well render accessible to everyone. But still had a doubt
on certains control file contents.

Thanks to Greg, Dave among many other who helping me to
fixe this relatively new secure mail architecture.

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Am Freitag,  5. Januar 2001 20:43 schrieb Ould:
> Please I'm also intersted to your answer.
>
> 1) Is possible under the configuration mentionned, if my
> web site is installed on "mail proxy", and I want to use
> webmail (like IMP/Horde) to sent or get your messages using
> web site from anywhere. My Maildir is on mailexchanger in
> the Lan. You want to use IMAP and not POP3 for that
> purpose. I configurate My firewall to accept smtp, pop3,
> imap between the two machines.

If your webmail software uses IMAP to access the maildirs, it can run
anywhere as long as it can reach the server where the mail is stored via
IMAP. Note that the qmail installation in the case mentioned below is only a
forwarder, theres not a single mail stored, is this case you'll need IMAP
access to the exchange shit.

> Can You give an example of the content of each control file
> and for each machine?

??? on the mail-"proxy" you need as always "me" - and the lines above. thats
all. the actual mailserver needs an qmail installation as usual, except

echo ":yourmailproxieshostname" > smtproutes

to forward all mails to your mail-"proxy".

> I think that there is a big luck of an explicite DOC with
> EXAMPLES of what each control file of the two machine must
> be.

hmmm. when i started with qmail long time ago i had no problem with the
existing documentation.

> I beginning to write a detailled DOC on this subject that I
> well render accessible to everyone. But still had a doubt
> on certains control file contents.

I'm not sure if this is needed - but as qmail seems to be used by less
experienced admins more and more i maybe of help.

> Thanks to Greg, Dave among many other who helping me to
> fixe this relatively new secure mail architecture.

hmmm... relatively new... relative to the IBM PC it is new ;-))

--

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 11:43:11AM -0800, Ould wrote:

> 1) Is possible under the configuration mentionned, if my
> web site is installed on "mail proxy", and I want to use
> webmail (like IMP/Horde) to sent or get your messages using
> web site from anywhere.

Well, in the mentioned configuration there wouldn't be any mail on "mail proxy".  As
soon as it receives a message, it is passed on to either the EX server or the
Internet.  It'd essentially play 'hot potatoe' with incoming/outgoing mail.

If you're thinking about web access to the EX server, why not use the one that comes
with it?  Then you don't have to muck around with configuring IMAP on the EX server
(one less thing to go wrong).

../mk

Thank you Henning for reply.

In my research to put architecture
like this:

Internet--Routeur--Fierwall--DMZ--fierwall--Lan
                              |              |
                        Qmail Relay       Qmail Lan

I never find an explicitely DOC telling me: put in your me,
rcphosts, locals, ... files of Qmail Relay blah, blah...,
and in those of your Qmail Lan blah, blah,..., ET VOILA!
and don't post to the mailing list a lot of mails dealing
with this idea ;)
I think that any begineer needs strongly DOCs like this and
no getting a part of solution of his problem somtimes from
you, Dave, Greg, and so on. But, I never find a detailled
DOCS which do that. So, my goal is to make it available in
the future. I had experienced several frustrations even
with qmail installation, and want newbe's to avoid going
"dans tous les sens"! Are you ready?

About the architecture, I think that I'm true. I read
recently several articles by consultants in security,
architects,... about this subject (i.e. putting smtp relay
in DMZ and real mail server in the Lan, and the appriate
related fierwall configuration). This is not so older or
frequent architecture as the IBM PC! Particularly with MTA
like qmail.
Another example: are you already seeing a DOCs tolking
about how setting up a web based mail using qmail with the
fameous IMP/Horde webmail whatever the emplacement of your
web site (on the Relay or the Lan servers)? If you know it
please inform me.

Anyway I'm still looking for a complete list of control
files from you :-(

Cheers

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Jean Claude YAO wrote:

> Morning,
>
> I've a linux server whith Sendmail.
> I've a new server with qmail and Solaris 8 as operating system.
> How can I migrate all mailboxes and users accounts from the Sendmail server
> to the qmail server?

We are using a perl program with IMAP mod to read and write messages.

Marcio Sa

Claus Beerta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there any way to run mails through a script after or before
> it enters qmail-inject?
> What i want, is to parse a Mail, and to remove unwanted
> characters from the mail.

Use Bruce Guenter's QMAILQUEUE patch.  It lets you put whatever filters you
like in the middle of the qmail pipeline.

> The original problem i have, is that some remote smtp
> servers weren't happy with dos formatted mails (\n\r)
> it seems that those \n\r were removed, therefore
> the mail showed up in one single line.

The SMTP standard requires CRLF line endings.  What you've got above doesn't
match that.

Charles

Ould <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I want to use IMAP in a simple manner as I use actually
>pop3.

Huh? You're currently using POP3 but want to switch to IMAP?

>I'm using strictly LWQ method of installation.

No you're not. The snippet you posted from your qmail script is
seriously bastardized.

>All work
>fine, except that I need now to use IMAP with pop3 and
>don't know how made this. IMAP is already installed on my
>machine.

IMAP doesn't work with POP3, they're completely independent
protocols.

-Dave

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 10:04:29AM -0500, Dave Sill wrote:

Dave? Dave. Is that you Dave?

> -Dave

It is you! Howdy.

Regards.

Hello, I have the same problem or question.

Can you help on what to do exactly for using IMAP instead
of POP3 or BOTH?

Thanks

--- Mark Delany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a ้crit : > On Fri,
Jan 05, 2001 at 10:04:29AM -0500, Dave Sill
> wrote:
>
> Dave? Dave. Is that you Dave?
>
> > -Dave
>
> It is you! Howdy.
>

> Regards.

http://photos.yahoo.com/

--- Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a ้crit : > Ould
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Huh? You're currently using POP3 but want to switch to
> IMAP?

Oui...s'il vous plait! I wont to use now IMAP instead of
POP3 or using both (I want to let this choice to the end
client, but want to setup the two possiblity on my server).

> No you're not. The snippet you posted from your qmail
> script is
> seriously bastardized.

Yes I'm using exactly LWQ, the only things I added to
/etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail script are :

/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -u 501 -g 500 0 smtpd
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd \
2>&1 | /var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 3 &
echo $! > /var/lock/subsys/qmail-smtpd
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver 0 pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup
    mymachine.mydomaine \
/bin/checkpassword      /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d
Maildir &
echo $! > /var/lock/subsys/qmail-pop3d

in the start part, and those of stop one. But, it is
mentionned elsewere in the LWQ DOC to add these lines.
Maybe also that I don't need to add these lines here, and
in this case I don't understand quite. So, I need your
helps (aigain ;), in order to fixe this correctly.

> IMAP doesn't work with POP3, they're completely
> independent
> protocols.

I'm sorry I want to say: "I want to use qamil with imap
and not IMAP with POP3 :-(.

http://photos.yahoo.com/

Ould <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Oui...s'il vous plait! I wont to use now IMAP instead of
>POP3 or using both (I want to let this choice to the end
>client, but want to setup the two possiblity on my server).

As long as both servers (POP3 and IMAP) use the same mailboxes (format
and location), you can use them interchangably. If you're using
qmail-pop3d, then courier-imap would be a good, compatible IMAP
server.

>Yes I'm using exactly LWQ, the only things I added to
>/etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail script are :
>
>/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -u 501 -g 500 0 smtpd
>/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd \
>2>&1 | /var/qmail/bin/splogger smtpd 3 &
>echo $! > /var/lock/subsys/qmail-smtpd
>/usr/local/bin/tcpserver 0 pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup
>    mymachine.mydomaine \
>/bin/checkpassword      /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d
>Maildir &
>echo $! > /var/lock/subsys/qmail-pop3d
>
>in the start part, and those of stop one. But, it is
>mentionned elsewere in the LWQ DOC to add these lines.

No. LWQ uses /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run to start the SMTP
service. And if you're adding POP3 service to an LWQ installation, the
*right* thing to do is set up a /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d
hierarchy based closely on the qmail-smtpd hierarchy--although LWQ
doesn't currently tell you how to do this.

And LWQ doesn't use splogger for any logging.

To add IMAP service to an LWQ installation, install the IMAP server
according to its instructions. You could try to LWQify the IMAP
installation, but it's not necessary--and not recommended if you're
likely to botch your LWQ in the process.

-Dave

> As long as both servers (POP3 and IMAP) use the same
> mailboxes (format
> and location), you can use them interchangably. If you're
> using
> qmail-pop3d, then courier-imap would be a good,
> compatible IMAP
> server.

Actually, I'm using Maildir format on the Lan server. On
the Relay I dont have any users (it only receive/sent mails
from/to Lan server where user Maildir's lie.

> No. LWQ uses /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run to
> start the SMTP
> service.

OK, I'm a bad student. That is I'm wrong by putting the
smtp, pop add-ons in the qmail script!!
But, I'm using also /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run
file, it contains :
#! /bin/sh
QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -p -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c
"$MAXSMTPD" \
-u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp
/usr/local/bin/rblsmtpd \
 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1

But if I withdrow the add-ons in the qmail script, I must
add the lines related to pop3 in the above script or what
to do?

> And if you're adding POP3 service to an LWQ
> installation, the
> *right* thing to do is set up a
> /var/qmail/supervise/
> hierarchy based closely on the qmail-smtpd
> hierarchy--although LWQ
> doesn't currently tell you how to do this.

I'm adding pop3 service only in the qmail script as
mentionned in the precedent post.
There is no qmail-pop3d service in my
/var/qmail/supervise/, actually it contains only qmail-send
and qmail-smtpd directories generated through the
installtion.
Can you telling when LWQ will add this? Can you giving me
already some idea to configure correctly my LWQ?
Also, under my actual configuration how I can include IMAP
service?

> And LWQ doesn't use splogger for any logging.

Yeah, I had some doubt about this since qmail logs some
things like "@4...." in /var/log/qmail and in
/var/log/qmail/smtpd in addition to "current" file.

> To add IMAP service to an LWQ installation, install the
> IMAP server
> according to its instructions. You could try to LWQify
> the IMAP
> installation, but it's not necessary--and not recommended
> if you're
> likely to botch your LWQ in the process.

What to do in this case? I need only to use my actual
installation to allow users to use webmail IMP/Horde (in
preference) from my web site on the Relay.

I'm looking for your help to fixe these subject.

Mille MERCI Dave.

http://photos.yahoo.com/

hi,

Ould wrote:
...snip...
> I'm sorry I want to say: "I want to use qamil with imap
> and not IMAP with POP3 :-(.
...snip...

on www.qmail.org you will find the following line:
"Sam Varshavchik wrote a Maildir-only IMAP server
called Courier IMAP."
pointing to: http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/

hope that helps
:) alexander

hey........
 suppose my mail server is mail.enfinet.net and i have
created user as [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED]
i am receiving my mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED] not
[EMAIL PROTECTED] what problem.........
plz......tell me
suppoese...my mail server is mail.enfinet.net and user is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bounce at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
what problem?

harindra patel

Michael Maier writes:
 > > >No, it hasn't a Mail Header in it.
 > >
 > > Ding!  Ding!  Ding!  We have a winner.
 > >
 > > Sean
 >
 > But why it works for 100 Mails then ?

Who knows???  It shouldn't have worked.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com |
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | A bacon cheeseburger is

On Friday 05 January 2001 15:23, Russell Nelson wrote:
> Michael Maier writes:
>  > > >No, it hasn't a Mail Header in it.
>  > >
>  > > Ding!  Ding!  Ding!  We have a winner.
>  > >
>  > > Sean
>  >
>  > But why it works for 100 Mails then ?
>
> Who knows???  It shouldn't have worked.

Much as I hate to help anyone who wants to send 25Gb of email in one shot,
whatever the reason...  (Is there a valid reason for ever sending 25Gb of
mail?  Answers on a postcard, please...  And please, I don't want to start a
religious spam/anti-spam war, was just asking in a rhetorical kind of way. ;^)

To me, the question that hasn't been cleared up is, what exactly is failing?
Assuming the script is correctly sending 100 emails to a user via qmail, then
what is failing when this is increased to 500,000?  If qmail works fine for
100, then it should work fine for 500,000.  Unless there is anything in the
qmail log(s) to indicate qmail is failing?

I suspect that the problem is actually in the perl script that is being used.
 It looks to me like you are creating 10 threads within the script.  Each
thread then sends 10 emails, giving you 100 transmissions in total.  How do
you amend the script so that it then sends 500,000 emails?  If you are
increasing the number of threads being created, then you will probably be
hitting an operating system limit on the number of threads.  Alternatively,
you could also be hitting the max process count.

Check what your script is doing.  While your there, get rid of the $var1 and
$count variables - they don't seem to be doing anything...

Hope this helps

--
Andrew Bold
Unix Systems Administrator

--
This message is confidential.  It may also be legally privileged.  It is intended
solely for the stated addressee(s) and access to it by anyone else is unauthorised.

Jonor Lacuesta writes:
 > Is it possible for qmail, qmail-popup, qmail-pop3d to use Microsoft SQL
 > Server to aunthenticate its users?

Certainly, but AFAIK nobody has done it.  I recommend that you look at
Jesse Sweetland's code for MySQL for a starting point, recently added
on www.qmail.org.  So recently that it hasn't gotten into the qmail
news.html file, also available as an RSS file at
http://qmail.org/news.rdf and formatted as html at
http://my.userland.com/viewChannel$3835

--

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 03:40:02AM -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 5 January 2001 at 01:41:53 -0500
>  > Johan Almqvist writes:
>  >  > On Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 09:16:14AM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
>  >  > > If I can get twenty people to implement it, AND insert an MX record
>  >  > > for their qmtpd with one of the following priorities, then I'll commit
>  >  > > to implementing a qmail-remote that also talks QMTP.
>  >  >
>  >  > Okay, and when can we have it?
>  >
>  > http://qmail.org/qmail-1.03-qmtpc.patch
>
> I can't get this via Lynx (so I had to download it on my windows

FWIW. I had no problem getting it with lynx.

Lynx Version 2.8.2rel.1 (01 Jun 1999)
Built on solaris2.8 Mar 13 2000 11:09:37

Regards.

Quoting David Dyer-Bennet ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 5 January 2001 at 01:41:53 -0500
>  > http://qmail.org/qmail-1.03-qmtpc.patch
>
> I can't get this via Lynx (so I had to download it on my windows
> machine and move it over; trivial for a file this size).  I can get
> the file displayed, but I can't save it any way I've tried.  Creating
> my own html with a link would let me download it and save it, but the
> other workaround was easier.

try this:

$ lynx -source http://qmail.org/qmail-1.03-qmtpc.patch > qmail-1.03-qmtpc.patch

Aaron

Does this mean that list.cr.yp.to is able to send/receive by QMTP, or is it
planning on it?
It would be nice to see this list move even faster, well not that its slow
right now...

 > On Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 09:16:14AM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
 > > If I can get twenty people to implement it, AND insert an MX record
 > > for their qmtpd with one of the following priorities, then I'll commit
 > > to implementing a qmail-remote that also talks QMTP.
 >
 > Okay, and when can we have it?

http://qmail.org/qmail-1.03-qmtpc.patch

qmtp seems to be about twice as fast as smtp in terms of the amount of
time a message spends sitting in the queue.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com |
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | A bacon cheeseburger is
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315 268 1925 voice | offensive to every major
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | religion.

Como fa็o para aplicar este path?

Flavio Alberto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Como fa็o para aplicar este path?

Babelfish gives the following translation:  "How I make to apply this path?"

If that's a reasonable translation, you want to download the qmail source,
change into the top level-directory of it, and then execute

    patch -pX </path/to/patchfile

where X is typically 0 or 1, depending on how the patchfile was generated.
You then do a normal configure/build/install for the software in question.
Read the manual page for patch for further details.

Charles

I've been asked to migrate a mail server from Netscape to qmail, and I'd
appreciate any advice on the subject.  I also have searched this list
archives, and they have been useful to a point, any realworld experience
helps - I'll be transferring over 18,000 accounts to the new server.

Also, would a single server be able to handle 18k accounts, or is
that too much to ask of a single, fast Intel-based machine?  I'm trying to
keep it simple, because the eventual administrators of the server are
MCSE's.

One last question, for those with experience vpopmail, can it handle 18k+
users under a single domain?

        Steve.

Steve Fulton wrote:

> I've been asked to migrate a mail server from Netscape to qmail, and I'd
> appreciate any advice on the subject.  I also have searched this list
> archives, and they have been useful to a point, any realworld experience
> helps - I'll be transferring over 18,000 accounts to the new server.

Best way is to go with qmail-ldap where you can continue to use your
LDAP database. Find more on http://www.nrg4u.com

> Also, would a single server be able to handle 18k accounts, or is
> that too much to ask of a single, fast Intel-based machine?  I'm trying to
> keep it simple, because the eventual administrators of the server are
> MCSE's.

No problem for a PC. It can handle much more.

> One last question, for those with experience vpopmail, can it handle 18k+
> users under a single domain?

I don't know.

--
Andre

Russ offers: http://qmail.org/qmail-1.03-qmtpc.patch

Feedback: Given a sample of one, this patch seems to work. Nice work.

Suggestion: What about making the log file entries more consistent
with the current format?

Current smtp:
success: 192.203.178.8_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_250_ok_978720863_qp_22711/

Current qmtp:
success: qmtp:_ok_978720977_qp_22786/All_received_okay_by_192.203.178.8/

Suggested qmtp:
success: qmtp:192.203.178.8_accepted_message./Remote_host_said:_ok_978720977_qp_22786/

Then a triv change to the smtp output and we have parsing consistency.

Regards.

Marc Koop writes:
> I was wondering if some of you could recommend a good, reliable email
> client that runs under X (Gnome) and supports IMAP to maildirs (qmail, of
> course!).
> A gui client would be nice, but is not necessary.
>
> What do you guys/gals use?!?

I'm big into emacs, so I use Gnus for reading mail and news.  I
noticed that Gnus's maildir support was somewhat lacking, so I wrote a
maildir backend.  <URL:http://multivac.cwru.edu/nnmaildir/>

paul

Marc Koop writes:
> I was wondering if some of you could recommend a good, reliable email
> client that runs under X (Gnome) and supports IMAP to maildirs (qmail, of
> course!).
> A gui client would be nice, but is not necessary.

mutt fits the bill, if you run it in an xterm :).  Full-featured, very
configurable, very standards-compliant, very quick.  Couldn't live without
it.

Charles

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 04:21:52PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:

> mutt fits the bill, if you run it in an xterm :).  Full-featured, very
> configurable, very standards-compliant, very quick.  Couldn't live without
> it.

Well, I went with the popular vote and am now a happy mutt user.  It works well over a
dial-up line as well as in the office and now just need to figure out some other small
details (line wrapping, multiple IMAP accounts...) and carve all the commands into my
desk. ;)

"Full-featured" and "very configurable" are understatements - WOW!  There also weren't
many examples of how to configure it with IMAP which took a bit of figuring out.  I
might just submit mine once I have it the way I like it.

Thanks to all for the recommendations.

--
../mk

I'm sorry, I don't find any answer to this question. Because I use Cobalt Raq3
and qmail with a particular network architecture, I don't know if this can work
for me. IMAP site is very critucal on qmail maildir format that I use, and
qmail site do not give user sufficient information of how implementing qmail
with IMAP. And obviously noboby had already using webmail imap qmail based.
But in your case there is no problem depending on your objectifs to pop or let
copy of  messages on the server.
In the later case there is no problem your can use sendmail, it's mailbox
format is well suported by imap.  IMP/Horde is a goode choice to built web
based mail.

Tim Moore a ้crit :

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm sorry, I don't find any answer to this question. Because I use Cobalt Raq3
> and qmail with a particular network architecture, I don't know if this can work
> for me. IMAP site is very critucal on qmail maildir format that I use, and
> qmail site do not give user sufficient information of how implementing qmail
> with IMAP. And obviously noboby had already using webmail imap qmail based.
> But in your case there is no problem depending on your objectifs to pop or let
> copy of  messages on the server.
> In the later case there is no problem your can use sendmail, it's mailbox
> format is well suported by imap.  IMP/Horde is a goode choice to built web
> based mail.
>
> Tim Moore a ้crit :
>
> > Did you ever get a reply on this for i my web guys want to use a web based
> > email system for their website and want to use sendmail. I want to keep from
> > switching my whole system over to sendmail just cause the web team wanting
> > this webmail.

1. qmail
2. courier imap
3. sqwebmail

all in maildir format

//mike

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Michael Hornby wrote:
>
> > My ultimate goal is to have my home server accept any mail that is being
> > sent to any e-mail address being hosted on the main server, and to
> > indefinitely try to forward it to the main server. This way, when the main
> > server returns, it will receive all the mail it missed while it was down.
> > All the e-mail will then continue to be stored on the main server, and users
> > can login there to retrieve it.

> the only extra thing you have to do is make sure example.com is in
> rcpthosts on backup.example.net and also does not appear in locals or
> virtualdomains on that machine. (if it does then you have to do htings
> slightly differently)
>
> RjL

There's also rigging something to kill -ALRM the home server when the
main server wakes up, if it has been down a while; as long as that won't
smother it, setting concurrencyremote on home low should help.

--
                           David Nicol 816.235.1187 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                         "the toad doesn't know..."

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 04:34:40PM -0600, David L. Nicol wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Michael Hornby wrote:
> >
> > > My ultimate goal is to have my home server accept any mail that is being
> > > sent to any e-mail address being hosted on the main server, and to
> > > indefinitely try to forward it to the main server. This way, when the main
> > > server returns, it will receive all the mail it missed while it was down.
> > > All the e-mail will then continue to be stored on the main server, and users
> > > can login there to retrieve it.
>
> > the only extra thing you have to do is make sure example.com is in
> > rcpthosts on backup.example.net and also does not appear in locals or
> > virtualdomains on that machine. (if it does then you have to do htings
> > slightly differently)
> >
> > RjL
>

> There's also rigging something to kill -ALRM the home server when the
> main server wakes up, if it has been down a while; as long as that won't

That's entirely optional of course.

> smother it, setting concurrencyremote on home low should help.

And indeed not doing the -ALRM reduces this risk.

Since qmail always tries one last time before bouncing you know that
evrything already in the home queue will be attempted one more time so
unless there is some urgency, I'd skip the -ALRM altogether and let
the mails come across in the normal course of qmail processing.

Regards.

I found that in a maildir with mails around 15,000 when I check email using
qmail-pop3d it gives ERR unable to scan $HOME/Maildir , is this the right
things ?

Thanks

Check the archives via www.qmail.org

Sounds awfully similar to the limits problem discussed here about a
month ago.

Regards.

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 04:24:52PM -0700, Irwan Hadi wrote:
> I found that in a maildir with mails around 15,000 when I check email using
> qmail-pop3d it gives ERR unable to scan $HOME/Maildir , is this the right
> things ?
>
> Thanks

I'm getting the following error message when trying to log in to my qmail server via pop3.  I've confirmed that checkpassword is working properly, using the instructions on the installation web page.  Any suggestions?

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: '192.168.20.16', Server: '192.168.20.16', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR authorization failed', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

from your previous email, you said that your config is

tcpserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup YOURHOST \
/bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

try taking out the \ after YOURHOST.

I'm getting the following error message when trying to log in to my
qmail server via pop3.  I've confirmed that checkpassword is working
properly, using the instructions on the installation web page.  Any
suggestions?

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was
rejected. Account: '192.168.20.16', Server: '192.168.20.16', Protocol:
POP3, Server Response: '-ERR authorization failed', Port: 110,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Try telnet your.server 110
then do
USER username
PASS password
and then see if it authenticates you. If it doesn't, then you need to
change to the directory where your spools are stored and see whether there
is a lock file on your mail folder. If not it could be something else.

Thursday January 04 2001 20:55, Tim Hunter wrote to Qmail@List. Cr. Yp.

 TH> HOWTOs, which are excellent on all other aspects, just say, oh
 TH> stick
 TH> in a line that says:

 TH>   tcpserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup YOURHOST \
 TH>      /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

 TH>   I've tried putting in in /var/qmail/rc,
 TH> /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run and running it from a command
 TH> line, but the only one that works is the third option (which is
 TH> obviously unsatisfactory).

 TH>   I realize this is a pretty newbie question, and thank you in
 TH> advance

I can't find it, either, so this is a valid question!

 KS

     ษออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออป
     บ  KARICO Business Services                              บ
     บ  Toronto, ON Canada              http://www.ksbase.com บ
     ศออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออออผ

... And you thought I was right!

 depends on your OS...i am using OpenBSD so mine is located at
/etc/rc.local.  for redhat, there is a script that came with qmail called
svscan.  I was able to put it in my /etc/rc.d/init.d.  it can be stopped,
started, or restarted by invoking /etc/rc.d/init.d/svscan
stop|start|restart.  check you OS' documentation as to where your system
scripts (if you are familiar with DOS, system scripts are DOS' autoexec.bat
and config.sys) are located

Where do I put the startup commands for qmail pop3d?  All the HOWTOs,
which are excellent on all other aspects, just say, oh stick in a line
that says:

tcpserver 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup YOURHOST \
   /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

I've tried putting in in /var/qmail/rc,
/var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run and running it from a command line,
but the only one that works is the third option (which is obviously
unsatisfactory).

I realize this is a pretty newbie question, and thank you in advance for
your help.

Hi,

I want to filter out messages with the following header from being sent out
by a user on my system:
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at relay.ispkenya.com.
I tried to deliver a bounce message to this address, but the bounce bounced!

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]</=>:
Sorry, I couldn't find any host named compuserve.com</=. (#5.1.2)

--- Below this line is the original bounce.

From: Hahaha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story!

I have tried putting some portions of the above in the badmailfrom control
file to no avail. Any tips?

Thanks,

Brian

hi,

marchart wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Why are so many messages not preprocessed?
>
> THX
>
> mail: ~/perl $ /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qstat
> messages in queue: 196
> messages in queue but not yet preprocessed: 88
> mail: ~/perl $ /var/qmail/bin/qmail-qstat
...snip...

seen that behavior caused by wrong permissions in /var/qmail/queue/lock.
especially the file trigger.

here the url to Dave Sill's excellent Life With Qmail (aka LWQ):
http://web.infoave.net/~dsill/lwq.html#trigger

hope that helps
;) alexander

Hi!

Delivery of 200 local emails:

FreeBSD 4.2: 300 Sec
FreeBSD 4.0:  70 Sec
SuSE Linux :   6 Sec

/var/qmail/lock/trigger has the right permission settings!

I'm sure something is wrong with *MY* FreeBSD Setup!!!!!!

Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

joe

output of my disklabel:

# /dev/ad0c:
type: ESDI
disk: ad0s1
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 1866
sectors/unit: 29993292
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:  2048000        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.    0 - 127*)
  b:  1228800  2048000      swap                        # (Cyl.  127*- 203*)
  c: 29993292        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
1866*)
  e: 12288000  3276800    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.  203*- 968*)
  f:  4096000 15564800    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.  968*-
1223*)
  g: 10332492 19660800    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl. 1223*-
1866*)

dmesg:

FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #0: Mon Nov 20 13:02:55 GMT 2000
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor (700.03-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x621  Stepping = 1

Features=0x183f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,
PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR>
  AMD Features=0xc0400000<AMIE,DSP,3DNow!>
real memory  = 134201344 (131056K bytes)
config> di sn0
config> di lnc0
config> di ie0
config> di fe0
config> di cs0
config> di bt0
config> di aic0
config> di aha0
config> di adv0
config> q
avail memory = 126373888 (123412K bytes)
Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc0436000.
Preloaded userconfig_script "/boot/kernel.conf" at 0xc043609c.
Pentium Pro MTRR support enabled
md0: Malloc disk
npx0: <math processor> on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
pcib0: <Host to PCI bridge> on motherboard
pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
pcib2: <VIA 82C598MVP (Apollo MVP3) PCI-PCI (AGP) bridge> at device 1.0 on
pci0
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib2
pci1: <ATI Mach64-GD graphics accelerator> at 0.0 irq 11
isab0: <VIA 82C686 PCI-ISA bridge> at device 4.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
atapci0: <VIA 82C686 ATA66 controller> port 0xb800-0xb80f at device 4.1 on
pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
chip2: <VIA 82C686 AC97 Audio> port
0xa000-0xa003,0xa400-0xa403,0xa800-0xa8ff irq 10 at device 4.5 on pci0
rl0: <RealTek 8139 10/100BaseTX> port 0x9400-0x94ff mem
0xe1800000-0xe18000ff irq 5 at device 13.0 on pci0
rl0: Ethernet address: 00:00:21:f8:d0:70
miibus0: <MII bus> on rl0
rlphy0: <RealTek internal media interface> on miibus0
rlphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
pcib1: <Host to PCI bridge> on motherboard
pci2: <PCI bus> on pcib1
fdc0: <NEC 72065B or clone> at port 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa0
fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> on fdc0 drive 0
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: model IntelliMouse, device ID 3
vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
sc0: <System console> at flags 0x100 on isa0
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A
ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: SMC-like chipset (ECP/EPP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppc0: FIFO with 16/16/8 bytes threshold
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
ad0: 14649MB <IBM-DTLA-307015> [29765/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA66
acd0: CDROM <ASUS CD-S400/A> at ata1-master using PIO4
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

Get rid  of it. sendmail is much better now.
Sam
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[...]

Sam Wun                         Firewalls / Security
Software Engineer (Snr)         Electronic Commerce
eSec Limited                    Phone: +61 3 83715376 (Direct)
                                Mobile: 0403 381 621
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]         C++/JAVA/UNIX/OOP/OOD