From: Aaron Carr [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 10:38 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Startup Script Advise

I've set up a qmail server on an RH 6.2 box.  I have a startup script for
qmail, what I'm looking for now is the most effective manner for starting up
qmail-pop3d and qmail-smtpd using tcpserver.

I've gone through tons and tons of docs, but what I'm curious about is-

Is it most effective to have one script that starts both qmail-pop3d and
qmail-smtpd, and how would that need to be written?  Which one should be
called first?  Does that matter? Etc....

Or, should I have a separate startup script for each?

I'm checking because lasts time I set this up, I believe I tried to have a
script for each, but they didn't work together.  Once qmail-pop3d started,
qmail-smtpd didn't want to start up.  It appeared to start fine, but when
attempting to send mail, the session would time out as though there was no
smtp daemon listening.

Anyone seen this type of thing?

In the near future, I'm going to enable webmail, but I want everything
functioning at a basic level before I move on that direction.

Any help anyone has would be super.

Thank much.

Aaron

qmail.rc