Kurth Bemis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 10 January 2001 at 01:50:14 -0500
 > coming fro ma sendmail background i have a few questions about the method
 > that qmail does things. 1)  If a local user doesn't exist sendmail gives
 > you a error when sending mail.  IE - i send mail to
 > [EMAIL PROTECTED],  the local account or alias kurthb doesn't exist so
 > before accepting the message for delivery sendmail says User Unknows or
 > whatever it says.  Why didn't DJB have qmail do something similar.  plus
 > doesn't the sendmail method cut down on the number of disk writes?  If
 > somebody has a clear answer I'd love to hear it.  Maybe DJB cares to
 > address it himself :-)

This information isn't know to qmail-smtpd.  As part of the security
segmentation, qmail-smtpd doesn't understand or have file access to
the files that control the final delivery (which are in the user's
directory and owned by the user; while smtpd is running not as root
but as a dedicated user that may not have any access to user
directories).
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/