On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Bjorn Nilsen wrote:

> on 12/1/01 12:15 AM, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Bjorn Nilsen wrote:
> >
> >> I'm considering patching qmail with the qmail-smtpd-auth patch. The reason
> >> is that the roaming user pop before smtp function in vpopmail doesn't work
> >> very well with my clients mail clients. In particular if Outlook has mail in
> >> the Outbox it will always send that first no matter what. It does not have
> >> the option to just check pop.
> >> I am rather nervous about patching rock solid qmail with a 3rd party patch.
> >> So I'm interested in what experience people have had with it and if it works
> >> well. Also if it works well with vpopmail which I also depend on.
> >
> > David Harris wrote smtp-poplock which doesn't require patching qmail.
> > You should be able to find it on www.qmail.org.
> >
> > Vince.
>
> smtp-poplock is just another implementation of "pop before smtp" which I
> already have with vpopmail. I will explain in more detail why this solution
> doesn't work for me. Many mail clients the default or only action is to send
> mail before checking mail. So what happens is the mail client happily sends
> all mail in the outbox then checks there mail via pop. This works fine until
> all that mail just sent gets bounced right back from the smtp server because
> the mail client had not authenticated with pop first allowing them relay
> access. Then I end up with a very annoyed and confused user (is there any
> other kind?). So the best solution I can see for this is smtp auth.

I've been using it for over a year and the only problem any of my
customers have had was when they didn't understand they had to check
mail first.  Noone's ever complained about losing outgoing mail because
of it.   The SMTP transaction should fail before it completes so the
mail should remain in the user's queue.   I chose this version over the
other one(s) BECAUSE I didn't have to patch qmail.

> Also another question with qmail-smtp-auth if a host is already set up as a
> relay client do they need to still provide a login password to get relay
> access?

Nope, they're renewed for a configurable time period (I have it set for
10 minutes) each time they check mail.  As long as they're sending from
the IP that checked mail RELAYCLIENT is set.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.pop4.net
 128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking