On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 12:02:52AM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
> D. J. Bernstein writes:
>  >
>  > Sendmail dropped below 50% of the Internet's SMTP servers---including
>  > idle workstations---last year; qmail has climbed past 10%. I suspect
>  > that qmail now handles more Internet mail deliveries than Sendmail does,
>  > although I don't know a good way to measure this.
>
> But that sample would be weighted towards personal email, and away
> from workplace email.  That makes it much less random.
>
> I could also get you the log files for two ISPs that send daily mail
> to all of their customers.  But that weights the sample towards
> people interested in that kind of mail.

And also, gathering server stats from this list would be biased.
I also work in an ISP, a large one (500k+ customers). I could also send you
a bunch of logfiles, both from residential customers, corporate customers,
and even the offices. But, considering most traffic is probably internal,
it would all be qmail talking to qmail.

RC

--
| Ricardo Cerqueira
| PGP Key fingerprint  -  B7 05 13 CE 48 0A BF 1E  87 21 83 DB 28 DE 03 42
| Novis Telecom  -  Engenharia ISP / Rede Técnica
| Pç. Duque Saldanha, 1, 7º E / 1050-094 Lisboa / Portugal
| Tel: +351 2 1010 0000 - Fax: +351 2 1010 4459

PGP signature