qmail Digest 14 Jan 2001 11:00:00 -0000 Issue 1244

Topics (messages 55114 through 55144):

newbees guide to the qmail-list [was: problem in delivering mails locally...]
        55114 by: Alexander Jernejcic
        55115 by: Alex Pennace
        55133 by: Russell Nelson
        55134 by: Alex Pennace

Re: Hotmail
        55116 by: Corey Jarvis
        55121 by: Greg Owen
        55124 by: Boz Crowther
        55125 by: Henning Brauer

Re: same UID with a lot of email
        55117 by: Peter van Dijk
        55144 by: email.mcmug.org

Re: Hotmail Woes.
        55118 by: Henning Brauer
        55119 by: PD Miller

upgrade question
        55120 by: M. Yu
        55126 by: Jeff Lacy
        55135 by: Russell Nelson

Re: In a perfect world
        55122 by: Felix von Leitner
        55123 by: Johan Almqvist
        55128 by: Paul Jarc
        55129 by: Mark Delany

Bogus popularity claims for Sendmail
        55127 by: D. J. Bernstein
        55136 by: Russell Nelson
        55138 by: Ricardo Cerqueira

Some assistance?
        55130 by: Jonathan J. Smith
        55132 by: Scott Gifford

Re: [vmailmgr] SMTP and VMailMgr
        55131 by: g0thic.mac.com

hrm....pop3d
        55137 by: Kurth Bemis
        55139 by: Andy Bradford
        55140 by: Ricardo Cerqueira
        55141 by: Jeff Lacy
        55142 by: Andy Bradford

APOP
        55143 by: keng heng

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

hi,

Aaron L. Meehan wrote:

> What I'm trying to say is that you should give us real information.
>
> It's starting to become neccessary to be creative since we have to
> keep telling people this, over, and over, and over ...

just a suggestion: what about a few lines at www.qmail.org telling people
what information to post in order to get help (logs, configs, permissions,
startup scripts, etc. blah blah) and not just: i have a problem - mails are
not delivered - what's wrong?

;) alexander

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 01:08:07PM +0100, Alexander Jernejcic wrote:
> hi,
>
> Aaron L. Meehan wrote:
>
> > What I'm trying to say is that you should give us real information.
> >
> > It's starting to become neccessary to be creative since we have to
> > keep telling people this, over, and over, and over ...
>
> just a suggestion: what about a few lines at www.qmail.org telling people
> what information to post in order to get help (logs, configs, permissions,
> startup scripts, etc. blah blah) and not just: i have a problem - mails are
> not delivered - what's wrong?

I doubt it will work. http://www.qmail.org/top.html already includes a
blurb about the list and the FAQ, which does not stop people from
asking such frequently asked questions. If they can't master the FAQ,
its unlikely they will master the relevant-information part.

Alex Pennace writes:
 > On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 01:08:07PM +0100, Alexander Jernejcic wrote:
 > > just a suggestion: what about a few lines at www.qmail.org telling people
 >
 > I doubt it will work.

Me too.  But we could try it.  I could point people to a document that
says how to get help from the qmail mailing list.  And then I could,
hehe, suggest that people run qmail-lint first.  Bwahahahahaha!

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com | Government is the
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | fictitious entity by which

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 10:37:20PM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
> Alex Pennace writes:
>  > On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 01:08:07PM +0100, Alexander Jernejcic wrote:
>  > > just a suggestion: what about a few lines at www.qmail.org telling people
>  >
>  > I doubt it will work.
>
> Me too.  But we could try it.  I could point people to a document that
> says how to get help from the qmail mailing list.  And then I could,
> hehe, suggest that people run qmail-lint first.  Bwahahahahaha!

How about we try changing the list name to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]?

It would be nice if anyone could answer my questions instead of giving a
nice paragraph on win2k

> It would be nice if anyone could answer my questions instead
> of giving a nice paragraph on win2k

        Looking back at your original question:

> Anyone in the world can send to me however when I send to
> hotmail.com it won't accept any smtp connection.

        There is a total lack of useful information for us to use to help
you with.  The following information would help us help you:

        What do the logs say?  Show a complete delivery attempt of one
message to hotmail, from the "begin" line to the "end" line.  Also show us a
successful delivery somewhere.  Feel free to X out the usernames, but leave
the domain information in place.

        What is your mail server's IP address?  As someone has already
suggested, you may be blacklisted inadverdantly or because of a previous
owner of that IP.  (This would probably also show up in the aforementioned
log).

        What are the contents of your /var/qmail/control/smtproutes file?

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
              SoftLock.com is now DigitalGoods!

And, despite the lack of any useful information, the first two responses to
your post WERE attempts to be helpful (Jamin and Stephen).  A little
gratitude., or at least common courtesy as someone that's asking others for
a favor,  might be called for.

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 11:16:15AM -0800, Boz Crowther wrote:
> And, despite the lack of any useful information, the first two responses to
> your post WERE attempts to be helpful (Jamin and Stephen).  A little
> gratitude., or at least common courtesy as someone that's asking others for
> a favor,  might be called for.

If you don't like the help you are getting here piss off and hire someone.
You are rude. And yes, at the moment I'm rude too. Just can't read this
crying any more.

--
Henning Brauer     | BS Web Services
Hostmaster BSWS    | Roedingsmarkt 14

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 10:08:52PM -0500, Tim Hunter wrote:
> I dont understand why it shouldn't have the same UID...
> what am I missing?

In IMAP, every message has an Unique ID. This is totally unrelated to
the User ID.

I have no answer to the question, however. I don't use IMAP.

Greetz, Peter.

oh i found that all the email is same modification time.  is it affect the UID??

Nick