On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 11:08:49AM -0700, Ben wrote:
> I am having difficulty in getting my mailing lists to work.  I believe that
> the lists addressed are not even being evaluated by ezmlm, but are being
> reject by qmail due to a configuration mistake on my part.
>
> The msg at the end of this email is a forward of the failure notice from
> qmail.
>
> Also, I am including my configs and other info below:
>
> "aquinas.pp.asu.edu" is the host's real name, and "hdshc.asu.edu" is an alias
> for this host.
>
> All mailing lists are in the form "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" (virtual
> domain) -- but seems to get reformatted to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]",
> which is annoying but workable;

Remove the CNAME record and make it an A or an MX record. That's what's causing
the rewriting of the host name.

> BEGIN FILES:
> --------------------users/assign---------------
> +hdshc.asu.edu-:hdshc.asu.edu:1002:83:/home/vpopmail/domains/hdshc.asu.edu:-::
>
>+aquinas.pp.asu.edu-:aquinas.pp.asu.edu:1002:83:/home/vpopmail/domains/aquinas.pp.asu.edu:-::
> .
>
> ------------control/defaultdomain-------------
> pp.asu.edu
>
> -------------control/defaulthost--------------
> hdshc.asu.edu
>
> ------------control/locals----------------------
> localhost.asu.edu
> aquinas.pp.asu.edu
>
> -------------control/me-------------------------
> aquinas.pp.asu.edu
>

> --------------control/plusdomain-----------------
> asu.edu
>

> ---------------control/rcpthosts-----------------
> localhost.asu.edu
> aquinas.pp.asu.edu
> hdshc.asu.edu
>
> ----------------control/virtualdomains-----------
> aquinas.pp.asu.edu:hdshc.asu.edu
>
> END FILES
>

> I know the problem is probably simple, but I can't see it.  It has deffinately
> prompted me to want to learn more about email systems and qmail more
> specifically.

You have aquinas.pp.asu.edu in both locals and virtualdomains. Having a domain
in both files is always a mistake. To fix your problem, get rid of the CNAME,
and add hdshc.asu.edu to virtualdomains and remove it from locals.

Chris