Hi!

I have made a patch to rblsmtpd that allows to call an arbitrary
program whenever a connecting mailserver is in one of the lists.

I use it to send the postmasters of this host and the respective
domains a short mail saying that they have an open relay and they
should fix it.

This is maybe not what everybody wants, because it generates traffic.
But I have my users in the back complaining about not getting mails
from the outside. So I started to send out mails manually to the
respective postmasters to close their open relays.
This was getting too much work, therefore this patch:

ftp://epigenomics.org/pub/oss/ucspi-tcp/rblsmtpd.patch

When rblsmtpd is called with the new option "-x /path/to/program", it
calls the program every time a connecting mailserver is blocked and
quits. It calls the given program, which gets all the environment
variables from tcpserver and a new one set by rblsmtpd: $RBLMESSAGE,
which is the message the connecting mailserver was rejected with.

The program now can make decisions based on $TCPREMOTEHOST et. al.
to do anything like sending mail to postmaster@$TCPREMOTEHOST.

I do know that the error should show up in the logs of the remote
host, but when they are misconfigured, it is likely the postmaster
does not look into the logs. I do hope she/he is looking into the
mailbox...

In the ftp-directory is a sample bash script called rblscript that
sends a short mail to the postmaster of the remote host.

Please feel free to send any additions/corrections to me.

Greetings
--
Robert Sander
Computer Scientist                                       Epigenomics AG