Read www.qmail.org.  There's several links there that do precisely this.

> i'm also receiving messages from foreign hosts about outgoing messages
> bouncing from my server ...

You'll need to be more descriptive for us to help you with this.  Try actually
posting the messages you're receiving, for a start.  You should also tell us
the hostname of your mailserver, as many common problems can be diagnosed
with a simple DNS query and possibly telnetting to your SMTP port.

Charles