Larry McJunkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm considering a move to an ISP who uses qmail but before moving our
> business I have a question no one there can answer.  We currently have five
> email newsletters that are served out by Lyris at out current ISP.  I have
> an ASP page for subscribing to these newsletters that interfaces with Lyris.
>
> Does qmail Mailing List have the ability for me to do the same thing if I
> set up lists for the five newsletters?  The documentation the ISP provided
> me doesn't show this information.  Thanks.

qmail is just an MTA.  Is the new ISP running ezmlm or ezmlm-idx for mailing
list software?  If not, they should.  It's the best mailing list software
around, bar none, and it's specifically designed for qmail.  ezmlm-idx is
an add-on for ezmlm which adds a few features.  It may already include a
web interface for subscription/un-subscription requests, but I do not know
that.

If not, creating one is trivial.  Just create a web page that submits to a CGI
(in Python, Perl, or whatever you like -- could be done in PHP or ASP).  The
user fills in their email address and clicks "subscribe" or "unsubscribe".  The
CGI takes the address and reformats it as follows:

Subscribe request:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 => [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subscribe request:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 => [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The CGI then injects the mail into the system.  ezmlm will automatically
send a confirmation mail to the user asking them to reply to be automatically
subscribed/unsubscribed.  It's that easy.  We use precisely this method at
the company I work for.  The CGI is about a dozen lines of Perl, if that.

Charles