qmail Digest 1 Feb 2001 11:00:00 -0000 Issue 1262

Topics (messages 56400 through 56456):

need help
        56400 by: zhonghua dai
        56425 by: Ian Lance Taylor

Re: Clean out /var/qmail/queue/pid + send automatic reply
        56401 by: Peter van Dijk

backup
        56402 by: Takayuki Murai

mail backup
        56403 by: Takayuki Murai
        56413 by: Dave Sill
        56445 by: Takayuki Murai
        56446 by: Kris Kelley

logging & tai64nlocal
        56404 by: Juan Miguel Salamanca
        56405 by: Peter Green
        56408 by: Mohamed Ould

supervise/lock error !!
        56406 by: Dennis
        56418 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: How sending log messages in absence of Qmail or Sendmail?
        56407 by: Mohamed Ould
        56417 by: Charles Cazabon

procmail and formail problem..
        56409 by: email.mcmug.org
        56411 by: Dave Sill

Re: installation problem
        56410 by: Dave Sill

qmail w/ reiserfs on linux 2.4.1
        56412 by: Matthew Patterson
        56415 by: Jose AP Celestino
        56419 by: Van Liedekerke Franky

Re: how to delete messages from the queue?
        56414 by: Dave Sill

Re: qmail with mysql patch - solaris
        56416 by: Charles Cazabon
        56447 by: Sam Trenholme

RE:RE: qmail with mysql patch - solaris - thanks reply
        56420 by: Rudel Sun-woo

Re: qmail with mysql patch - solaris - thanks reply
        56421 by: Charles Cazabon

one host with several hostnames?
        56422 by: Michael Renner
        56423 by: Peter van Dijk
        56424 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: Qmail with 'tcpserver'
        56426 by: Aaron L. Meehan

Problem with qmail-scanner
        56427 by: Andres Rusconi
        56428 by: Charles Cazabon
        56429 by: Dave Sill
        56431 by: Andres Rusconi

maildirsmtp interruption
        56430 by: Gavin McCord

qmail alias extension question.
        56432 by: Christian Nygaard

qmail blocker
        56433 by: Register, Dadrien
        56434 by: Peter van Dijk

qmail.sh & Mailbox/Maildir
        56435 by: David Ondich

Sieve
        56436 by: Peter van Dijk

qmtp and spammers.
        56437 by: Faried Nawaz
        56438 by: Peter van Dijk
        56455 by: Vincent Schonau

Mailing List Question
        56439 by: Larry McJunkin
        56449 by: Charles Cazabon

Newbie: Which Dist Linux, Best?
        56440 by: SF
        56443 by: Chris Johnson
        56451 by: Phil Barnett
        56452 by: Vincent Danen
        56453 by: Robin S. Socha

Help!  qmail-pop3d not liking maildir!!
        56441 by: Tony Harris
        56442 by: Peter van Dijk
        56444 by: tony.elroynet.com
        56450 by: Charles Cazabon

qmail with qmail-ldap patch ?
        56448 by: dennis

qmail under NAT
        56454 by: Boris Krivulin

[OT] Re: Newbie: Which Dist Linux, Best?
        56456 by: Vincent Schonau

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"zhonghua dai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Who can tell me what's the function substdio_feed for?

It refills the buffer for the substdio argument.  It is called when
one of the input routines is called when there is no data left in the
buffer.

It's a bit confusing at first glance because DJB is using the n field
as both an offset to the bytes remaining in the buffer and to indicate
the size of the buffer.  In substdio_feed, if s->p is 0, then s->n
holds the size of the buffer.  This double duty is why the byte_copyr
is required at the end of substdio_feed, to ensure that the condition
will hold the next time substdio_feed is called.

Ian

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 11:22:32AM +0100, Filip Sneppe (Yucom) wrote:
[snip]
> How can I clean out /var/qmail/queue/pid after an ungraceful shutduwn ?
> (you've guessed it, at some point I thought it would be useful to just
> kill -9 all qmail processes) I have no idea which files shouldn't be in that
> folder.

Any garbage in the queue will get removed after 36 hours, if I'm
correct.

[snip]
> Also, due to a domain name change, I need to implement the following: all
> people sending mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] should receive a reply
> saying that they should now use [EMAIL PROTECTED] I know it shouldn't be too
> difficult to redirect mail from @subdomain.domain.com to @domain.com, but
> our management really wants to have automated replies to the senders...

Uh, put
subdomain.domain.com:alias-moved
into virtualdomains

then create ~alias/.qmail-moved-default, containing
|bouncesaying 'this domain has moved to domain.com'

Disclaimer: I got out of bed 2 minutes ago and may be saying very
stupid things :)

Greetz, Peter

$B3'MM!"$3$s$K$A$o(B $B0l$D

Hello all, I am wondering that how to backup mail directory. I am having trouble with how to do it. Please give me some idea what you are doing. Taka Murai Takayuki Murai -$BB<0f!!N4G7(B- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am wondering that how to backup mail directory. I am having trouble with
>how to do it. Please give me some idea what you are doing.

Which mail directory are you referring to? /var/qmail?
/var/spool/mail? ~user/Maildir? And what kind of trouble are you
having?

I use dump and GNU tar via Amanda to backup all of my mail directories
and haven't had any trouble. Of course, restoring the queue is a
little tricky since some of the files must be named after their inode
number.

-Dave

Hello,

> Which mail directory are you referring to? /var/qmail?
> /var/spool/mail? ~user/Maildir? And what kind of trouble are you
> having?
I am referring to ~user/Maildir.
Some of the user use POP, and the other use IMAP. And, I assume that incoming mails
store into ~/Maildir/new. My question is:
if there are new coming mail storing into ~/Maildir/new while backup job is working,
what problem is going to happen. If there is no problem, it means that those new
coming mail is not backed up? Or, if there is some error, what are they?

Does Amanda works fine?

Thank you
taka

Takayuki Murai -村井 隆之-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Takayuki Murai wrote:

> I am referring to ~user/Maildir.
> Some of the user use POP, and the other use IMAP. And, I assume that
incoming mails store
> into ~/Maildir/new. My question is:
> if there are new coming mail storing into ~/Maildir/new while backup job
is working,
> what problem is going to happen.

Incoming messages are first stored in ~/Maildir/tmp.  They are only moved to
~/Maildir/new once the file write is complete.  Therefore, as long as you
are only backing up ~/Maildir/cur and ~/Maildir/new, you shouldn't have any
risk of incomplete file back-ups.

> Does Amanda works fine?

Not familiar with this program, but any file copier should do, even plain
old "cp -r".

---Kris Kelley

I am using multilog as logger tool for my qmail instalation. As usual, the
time stamp is in tain format. I know that you can use tai64nlocal to convert
the timestamp to human readable format, but there is not much documentation
on how to do it.

Can anyone help me?

* Juan Miguel Salamanca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010131 06:41]:
> I am using multilog as logger tool for my qmail instalation. As usual, the
> time stamp is in tain format. I know that you can use tai64nlocal to convert
> the timestamp to human readable format, but there is not much documentation
> on how to do it.
>
> Can anyone help me?

Just pipe the log output through tai64nlocal, like:

  tai64nlocal < /var/log/qmail/current

It will convert the tai64n timestamp to localtime and print the rest of the
line.

/pg
--
Peter Green : Gospel Communications Network, SysAdmin : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
---

Hi,

is possible to do that automatically (i.e. getting current file always in local
time format),
without taping eeach time tail64nlocal <...... ?

Peter Green a écrit :

> Just pipe the log output through tai64nlocal, like:
>
>   tai64nlocal < /var/log/qmail/current
>
> It will convert the tai64n timestamp to localtime and print the rest of the
> line.
>
> /pg
> --
> Peter Green : Gospel Communications Network, SysAdmin : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ---
> "On a normal ascii line, the only safe condition to detect is a 'BREAK'
> - everything else having been assigned functions by Gnu EMACS."
> (By Tarl Neustaedter)

Help !!
Anyone know why I might be getting this error ?

supervise: fatal: unable to acquire qmail-smtpd/supervise/lock: temporary
failure
supervise: fatal: unable to acquire log/supervise/lock: temporary failure

?

Dennis

Dennis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anyone know why I might be getting this error ?
>
> supervise: fatal: unable to acquire qmail-smtpd/supervise/lock: temporary
> failure
> supervise: fatal: unable to acquire log/supervise/lock: temporary failure

This normally means you've already got another supervise process running
for that service/directory.

Charles

Thanks package.

is this package exist as tarball, otherwise where I can find Doc on
installation of thi RPM?
 I dont see on qmail.org site any doc on qmail-client  (tarball or RPM)
procedure of installation.
Thanks if you can help to finding it.

Mohamed Ould <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On all my LAN , DMZ,  ISP machine servers, I desintallating Sendmail
> (installed by default on RH6.2).
> I have a Qmail Relay machine in the DMZ and Qmail server in my LAN.
> Now, I have the problem to sent logs files, swatch, logcheck parsing,
> alerts,...  from machines in the DMZ, LAN, ISP  where Qmail is not
> installed. Some applications on the DMZ, ISP would be also able to send
> messages to me or user on the net .

Consider installing something like Bruce Guenter's nullmailer -- it provides
the minimal functionality for programs on the local machine to be able to
send mail (through a program which provides a sendmail-compatible command line
interface), and relays all mail to one or more specified smarthosts.

Check http://em.ca/~bruceg/nullmailer/ for more info.

Charles

i want to use procmail to filter  when a new message come.. it send me a icq message..

then i try send it to my [EMAIL PROTECTED]

but i found that my qmail log ..have some error log

MAILFROM=`/usr/bin/formail -xFrom:`
:0 c
|(/usr/bin/formail -X "" \
        -I "To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]" -X "To:" \
      -I "Cc: "  -X "Cc:" \
      -I "Bcc: "  -X "Bcc:" \
        -I "From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]" -X "From:"; \
        echo "Email from:$MAILFROM "; \
      echo " " ) | $MAILMAIL

and the qmail log.. is that

@400000003a77ed5f35833224 delivery 15: success:
procmail:_Error_while_writing_to_"(/usr/bin/formail_-X_""_\/_-I_"To:_123456@
pager.icq.com"_-X_"To:"_\/______-I_"Cc:_"__-X_"Cc:"_\/______-I_"Bcc:_"__-X_"
Bcc:"_\/_-I_"From:[EMAIL PROTECTED]"_-X_"From:";_\/_echo_"Email_from:$MAI
LFROM_";_\/______echo_"_"_)_|_$MAILMAIL_"/did_0+0+1/did_0+0+1/

so any idea???

Nick
DOWNLOAD McMug 2001 Calendar la.. .
http://www.mcmug.org

Powered by Outblaze

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>MAILFROM=`/usr/bin/formail -xFrom:`
>:0 c
>|(/usr/bin/formail -X "" \
>        -I "To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]" -X "To:" \
>      -I "Cc: "  -X "Cc:" \
>      -I "Bcc: "  -X "Bcc:" \
>        -I "From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]" -X "From:"; \
>        echo "Email from:$MAILFROM "; \
>      echo " " ) | $MAILMAIL
>
>and the qmail log.. is that
>
>@400000003a77ed5f35833224 delivery 15: success:
>procmail:_Error_while_writing_to_"(/usr/bin/formail_-X_""_\/_-I_"To:_123456@
>pager.icq.com"_-X_"To:"_\/______-I_"Cc:_"__-X_"Cc:"_\/______-I_"Bcc:_"__-X_"
>Bcc:"_\/_-I_"From:[EMAIL PROTECTED]"_-X_"From:";_\/_echo_"Email_from:$MAI
>LFROM_";_\/______echo_"_"_)_|_$MAILMAIL_"/did_0+0+1/did_0+0+1/
>
>so any idea???

First problem is that qmail considers this a successful delivery, but
procmail thinks it was unsuccessful. See:

  http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#procmail

for some qmail/procmail tips.

Second problem is that procmail didn't like your recipe. That's really
a procmail problem, and should be directed to a procmail forum.

-Dave

"Daniel Yip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I was following every single steps from Life with qmail to install
>qmail on a Linux server. When I typed /usr/local/sbin/qmail start, it
>gave me an error message of  "softlimit: fatal: unable to run : file
>does not exist

Sounds like there's a typo in your
/var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run script. Try copying/pasting it
from LWQ.

-Dave

I know it is still very early to be asking this question, but here goes. I remember
seeing a notice that qmail was incompatible with reiserfs unless you patched the
reiserfs
sources. The just-released Linux kernel 2.4.1 includes support for reiserfs. Does
anyone know if it is the patched version that works with qmail, or if it is the
version that
will be incompatible?

--
***********************************
Matthew H Patterson

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 07:52:33AM -0600, Matthew Patterson wrote:
> I know it is still very early to be asking this question, but here goes. I remember
>seeing a notice that qmail was incompatible with reiserfs unless you patched the
>reiserfs
> sources.

Never heard that. I've been using qmail over reiserfs for quite a long time now with
kernel 2.2.17. What you had to do was to patch the kernel and fine-tune the qmail
conf-* files before compile. But that's another story.

Qmail works independent from underlaying filesystem (of course there are possible I/O
bottlenecks and reliabylity problems but that's another issue).

> The just-released Linux kernel 2.4.1 includes support for reiserfs.

So it seems you don't have to patch the kernel sources anymore :)

> Does anyone know if it is the patched version that works with qmail, or if it is the
>version that
> will be incompatible?

There's no such thing. Please take a look at:

http://www.jedi.claranet.fr/qmail-reiserfs-howto.html

has been raised before.

--
Jose AP Celestino  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  || SAPO / PT Multimedia
Administração de Sistemas / Operações || http://www.sapo.pt

You need to patch qmail to work correctly with reiserfs, not the kernel.

Greets,

franky