Greg White wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 05:16:36PM -0500, Peter Brezny wrote:
> > our new qmail install is started simply by
> >
> > exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
> > qmail-start ./Maildir splogger qmail&
> >
> > however I've noticed a lot of people using daemontools and supervise.
> >
> > What are the primary advantages of using supervise?
>
> My personal thoughts:
>
> 1. multilog. multilog uses a lot less overhead than syslog, and does
> not listen on the network, and so is not vulnerable to remote DoS or
> exploit. It's self-rotating (configurable), and uses a super-accurate
> timestamp (although the timestamp is not _that_ relevant to me
> personally).
>
> 2. Unification with other djb-ware, especially djbdns. Personally, I'd
> just love it if sshd could log to STDOUT, and that way most of my hosts
> would use supervise for _all_ the important processes. ;)

I'm pretty positive the latest ver of OpenSSH does this. There was
something
on the list recently about it. I think I'm using a patch provided during
that thread though. (OpenSSH_2.3.0p1)

/service/sshd/run:
#!/bin/sh
exec 2>&1
exec env - tcpserver -H -R -v -p -l0 -c10 0 ssh \
        /usr/local/sbin/sshd -f /usr/local/etc/sshd_config -i

> 3. Simple process control. Downing all supervised processes is as simple
> as 'svc -d /service/*/log ; svc -d /service/*'. Gotta like that.

I thought you could just do:
svc -d /service/* /service/*/log

I think the actual processes should go down first so you don't lose any
log
info.

You can also restart everything in the same way with the -t flag. I use
that a lot.

I currently have about 13 things running out of /service via svscan.
It's a great
util. I even have portsentry and courier-imap running using it.

---Rahsheen